Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > General Crafts Featherwork.........question on "t" flats  work. Featherwork.........question on "t" flats work.

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2002, 11:35 PM   #1
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
medic has a reputation beyond reputemedic has a reputation beyond reputemedic has a reputation beyond reputemedic has a reputation beyond reputemedic has a reputation beyond reputemedic has a reputation beyond reputemedic has a reputation beyond reputemedic has a reputation beyond reputemedic has a reputation beyond reputemedic has a reputation beyond reputemedic has a reputation beyond reputemedic has a reputation beyond reputemedic has a reputation beyond reputemedic has a reputation beyond reputemedic has a reputation beyond reputemedic has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Question Featherwork.........question on "t" flats work.

I am getting ready to start on a fan project and need a little info on working with "t" flat feathers.I want to practice before actually starting on my project.
1.)When cutting the t-flats is there an "appropriate" size or is that personel preferance/dependent on main feather size?
2.)After centering the flat on the feather shaft, do you "roll" the rest of the flat around the backside?Or trim it?
3.)When you do multiple rows, is this what is referred to as "shinglework"?
4.)And last when doing rows,to make it look "neat" do you trim the fletching on the main shaft before doing the rows?
Well if any of you have a moment ,any info. sure would be appreciated.
medic is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-11-2002, 12:03 PM   #2
Tiny Tot Dancer

WaxeNuZhinga is an unknown quantity at this point
You are better off using florets instead of turkey flats. They are much easier to work with, more thin and supple and can easily be 'rolled' around the object you are decorating and are particularly nice for fans, not to mention they are generally broader. There are some mail order places carrying these now.

What I usually do is use a little glue and roll them around. For a neater appearance, I've seen the feathers trimmed but I have also seen them untrimmed, both look equally good in my opinion. I'm no expert at this but I have practiced at it, made some mistakes and had some success so take this advice for what it's worth.

Folks that do it alot seem to use only the very tip of the feather and layer as many feathers of the same color as necessary to get complete coverage.

Hope this helps in some way. Check out this website for Patrick Scott, Navajo fanmaker. He has some good close-ups of this kind of work.

http://www.sidecanyon.com/patrickscott.htm

Happy Featherworking!
WaxeNuZhinga is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-11-2002, 12:18 PM   #3
Lovin' life,

Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 260.00
Savings: 1.00
Thank you so much for posting this question.
I have some feathers and have wanted to do something with them for awhile but didn't know what questions to ask. I had never heard these terms before.

straightdancerinaz: Thank you so much for posting the photos. That really does help.

I want to learn more about this. What would you all suggest? I need to redo a fan.
Old 02-11-2002, 01:28 PM   #4
Lovin' life,

Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I've been laboring over the idea of putting together a "coffe table" book on this very subject.....basically, a book filled from cover to cover with fans....gorgeous, gorgeous fans! Info on origins, materials used, makers if known, dimensions and such. Nice close up pics.....I certainly live in the right area to do this too.

Please reserve me the first advanced copy!!! :)
Old 02-11-2002, 10:45 PM   #5
Tiny Tot Dancer

medic has a reputation beyond reputemedic has a reputation beyond reputemedic has a reputation beyond reputemedic has a reputation beyond reputemedic has a reputation beyond reputemedic has a reputation beyond reputemedic has a reputation beyond reputemedic has a reputation beyond reputemedic has a reputation beyond reputemedic has a reputation beyond reputemedic has a reputation beyond reputemedic has a reputation beyond reputemedic has a reputation beyond reputemedic has a reputation beyond reputemedic has a reputation beyond reputemedic has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the tips,I happened to of ordered a couple ounces of florettes a few weeks ago from CCTP in several different colors and actually tried some on my last fan.I asked about the " t"flats because somebody had recommended them.
Now that you guys mention the florettes, I will work with them and see how they do for me.Thanks,and keep up the ideas.
P.S.-I too would surely like a fine book for my coffee-table.
Old 02-11-2002, 11:41 PM   #6
Tiny Tot Dancer

whirlwind is an unknown quantity at this point
Medic and Straightdancer.

This has nothing to do with fans, but seeing your names is coincidental.

Medic, yesterday I stumbled onto the articles you sent me a year or so ago, I read them imediately. I don't know if I ever got settled with you on it or not? I spent way too long yesterday trying to send you a private email. SO here it is in public.

Straightdancer, I believe I'd spoken to either you or Medic about some whitetail deer tails for roaches. It may have been someone else. I've got all my hides scraped and brained and finally got the tails all off. If you're still interested I've still got them.

Thanks guys

Whirlwind
whirlwind is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2002, 09:26 AM   #7
Tiny Tot Dancer

X49ER is on a distinguished road
Credits: 613.00
Talking

just thought i would post these pic for idea's
Attached Thumbnails
scarletmacawlsmw.jpg  
X49ER is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2002, 09:29 AM   #8
Tiny Tot Dancer

Talking

Hmmmmmmmm,deer tails.............how about sending me just the roach!
Old 02-12-2002, 01:43 PM   #9
Webmaster

Items PresentUser Name Style ChangeSteal PointsCake
Paul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond repute
Paul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 9,940.82
Ok, so how is this done?
Attached Thumbnails
fan2.jpg  
Paul G is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2002, 02:53 PM   #10
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
is that the guy who makes the fans with the handle that unscrews for easier storage? If so I have seen a few of his first hand and was thinking about sending my stuff to have him do for me. I don't know how to do the florette stuff, but the stripes are thread..either embroidery floss or waxed thread that is wound very carefully around the dowels.
Blackbear is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2002, 03:07 PM   #11
Webmaster

Paul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond repute
Paul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond repute
This didn't look like thread wrapping, it has shape to it??
Attached Thumbnails
fan.gif  
Old 02-12-2002, 03:09 PM   #12
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Hmmm...you are right!! let me look at that again..I am good at figureing out how things are done ..LOL...I will be back!!
Blackbear is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2002, 03:46 PM   #13
Lovin' life,

Hmmmmmmmmmm.......aren't those small beads??
Old 02-12-2002, 04:09 PM   #14
Tiny Tot Dancer

From what my" rookie" crafter vision can tell.some of it does look like threadwork.On my first fan I did threadwork with rayon thread............it is pretty glossy with good vibrant colors.BB is right though,it was very time consuming with trying to match each section in length.Then doing it on several feathers,I'll try to post a picture.
Old 02-12-2002, 04:12 PM   #15
Tiny Tot Dancer

OK,On a better computer screen,I think WM is right.With all those differently shaped designs it is hard to tell.
Old 02-12-2002, 04:12 PM   #16
Tiny Tot Dancer

Yes, it is threadwrapping. Lots of this type of work uses what I call 3-D thread wrapping. The threads are wrapped as a base and then 'stacked' on top of one another to form complex shapes or simply to give the thread wrapping a little extra dimension. It is a beautiful technique but also requires the right materials and the right techniques for wrapping the stuff. I'll try to scan some that I have so that you guys can get a nice close up of it. It is truely beautiful.
Old 02-12-2002, 07:45 PM   #17
wrapped in ribbonwork!

Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,732.09
I took a beginning fly tying class last fall and we learned a little about making shapes like that with thread, for imitating bug bodies. You definitely need the right tools to do it- a vise, a bobbin holder and whatever they call the whip finishing thingy that allows you to tie off without knots. Very cool stuff although I have yet to actually try this technique on feathers. Anyway, thats what it looks like to me. Great photos, you guys!
Czechy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2002, 08:48 PM   #18
Tiny Tot Dancer

Being a fly-tyer myself, I had a few tools around that I used to do this stuff with. The bobbin was the most important because it allows good thread tension. I tried the whip-finisher but when you stack the thread, it makes it almost impossible to use it, so I scrapped that idea. The type of thread you use is also important. Too thin and you can't stack the thread, to thick and it doesn't have that nice look to it. Anyway, I'll bring some in tomorrow and scan them to put up here. StraightDancer sent me some thread that they use down there. It is 'guide wrapping' thread used for lashing eyes on fishing rods. It is thick but not too thick and just a pretty thread in general. It comes in both nylon and silk forms too....

More tomorrow.

WNZ
Old 02-13-2002, 09:32 PM   #19
Webmaster

Wish it was my fan!!

Just got the picture for ebay.
Old 02-13-2002, 10:05 PM   #20
Tiny Tot Dancer

As promised

Hey Folks,

Just thought I would post this picture here for a little bit better close up of this featherwork and threadwork. These are two sets of feathers that I received as gifts from the best friend a guy could ask for. They are both done with the style of threadwork and featherwork that we are talking about here, so check them out.

I'll try to give some thought to how best to explain how to do this threadwork but for now I'll just post this pic to whet your whistle a little bit.

Until later....
Attached Thumbnails
threadwork.jpg  
Sponsored Links