Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By OLChemist

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > General Crafts Florette work Florette work

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-20-2015, 01:53 PM   #1
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
jamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,390.31
Savings: 0.00
Question Florette work

Hi everyone I need help I'm interested in making fans and plume sets for dancers. But I'm wondering if any one can give a tutorial on florette work for fans like the ones jingle and traditional dancers use? I hate asking because of traditions and secrecy.but you can't learn with out asking.

Last edited by jamie1980; 11-20-2015 at 01:54 PM.. Reason: Mis spelled word
jamie1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-20-2015, 02:25 PM   #2
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 45,740.34
I put a reply on the other thread.

Florettes
Florette work

Like so much of Native life this is something that is hard to explain in words :) There are so many things that vary from project to project and feather to feather. You just kind of have to get in the studio and have a go at it. You're going to mess up a bunch of feathers when you start. But with practice you will improve.

When I started, I just mounted a bunch of turkey feathers on skewers. Then I trimmed the tip pieces off on a bunch of florettes to use. Then i just practiced. It is really the only way you can figure out how to prepare the transition between the skewer and the feather. Or how to wrap the feathers without gluing in your fingers, LOL. Or how to cut feathers.

Once you done a little, then you study the work of masters. You can figure out a lot once you've tried your hand at it.

The other thing you need to realize is that more than a few of us on here make and sell regalia. Asking a fan maker to give out their secrets is asking for part of their livelihood. For that reason these techniques tend to be transmitted in families and communities.

I'm pretty open. I don't feed myself or my family doing this work. But, I do like to know that I'm not teaching someone who is going to take food off a needy Native family's table.
C&HBrownsugar and windanncer like this.

Last edited by OLChemist; 11-20-2015 at 02:42 PM.. Reason: Ethics discussion
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-21-2015, 02:21 PM   #3
Tiny Tot Dancer

jamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,390.31
Talking Florettecwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
I put a reply on the other thread.

Florettes
Florette work

Like so much of Native life this is something that is hard to explain in words :) There are so many things that vary from project to project and feather to feather. You just kind of have to get in the studio and have a go at it. You're going to mess up a bunch of feathers when you start. But with practice you will improve.

When I started, I just mounted a bunch of turkey feathers on skewers. Then I trimmed the tip pieces off on a bunch of florettes to use. Then i just practiced. It is really the only way you can figure out how to prepare the transition between the skewer and the feather. Or how to wrap the feathers without gluing in your fingers, LOL. Or how to cut feathers.

Once you done a little, then you study the work of masters. You can figure out a lot once you've tried your hand at it.

The other thing you need to realize is that more than a few of us on here make and sell regalia. Asking a fan maker to give out their secrets is asking for part of their livelihood. For that reason these techniques tend to be transmitted in families and communities.

I'm pretty open. I don't feed myself or my family doing this work. But, I do like to know that I'm not teaching someone who is going to take food off a needy Native family's table.
I'm not the kind of person who takes advantage of other people.
I'm the kind of person who gives back to the people who makes things.I know our history its not fair what the white folk did to native americans.I don't like it that natives had to move from there tribal lands.even today people are taken from there homes and land to acomidate people.so I thank native America for there traditions.I learn so that I can give back.
jamie1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-08-2015, 11:17 AM   #4
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 45,740.34
Sources for fancy/dyed feathers for florette work:

Caddis Fly Shop

Fly Fishing USA
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links