Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By OLChemist

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > General Crafts How to do "Stacked" Threadwork on Fan Sticks? How to do "Stacked" Threadwork on Fan Sticks?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 04:26 AM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Kiowa-J has much to be proud ofKiowa-J has much to be proud ofKiowa-J has much to be proud ofKiowa-J has much to be proud ofKiowa-J has much to be proud ofKiowa-J has much to be proud ofKiowa-J has much to be proud ofKiowa-J has much to be proud of
Credits: 790.59
Savings: 0.00
How to do "Stacked" Threadwork on Fan Sticks?

Hello, I need help or instructions with how to create this "stacked" method of threadwork on fan sticks. I've done threadwork before but I've yet to figure out this method. I've seen examples where the threadwork looks like thick stacks of discs on top of each other. some other examples almost look like glass beads. Any tips on how to do this and recommendations on particular thread types?
Kiowa-J is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-11-2013, 02:15 PM   #2
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 18,208.20
Savings: 0.00
That is one of the better keep secrets :) Years ago I bought a dozen extender sets from a guy in Flagstaff. Since then I've asked around and gotten vague answers.

What I have learned is: The process is a modification of the techniques used for thread wrapping on fishing rods. The thread is Gudebrod rod tying thread or equivalent. The layers are glued with either the urethane or cyanoacrylate glues and varnishes used for rod wrapping. And a rod wrapping jig with thread tensioner is a near necessity. (Tho' I have no idea how the jig is modified for this work.)

I have never plunked down the bucks for a video on rod tying to see if i can figure it out. Once I really thought about the adhesive and varnishes, I decided the process is cat hair incompatible. I'll stick to simple wraps with clear nail polish top coats, LOL.
Itzhecatl likes this.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links