Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > General Crafts How To Fix Small Feathers To Wear How To Fix Small Feathers To Wear

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-17-2002, 10:01 PM   #1
Riverwoman

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Question How To Fix Small Feathers To Wear

I have several small feathers, and I would like to wear them. How would I fix/attach etc, so that I could wear them? I have four of them and have seen other dancers wear smaller feathers, and they look great! Would look even better with my plumes!:)

Just not sure how to go about it

Either pm or email me!
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-18-2002, 01:50 AM   #2
Arena Director

powwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond repute
powwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 210.00
Savings: 0.00
I need to know how you are wanting to wear/use them before I can help with how they need to be mounted. Are you wanting them to hang on the side of the head in a cluster? Where are you wanting to wear them, in your hair? Are you planning on attaching them to a quilled wheel or a beaded medallion? Do you want them to clip in or tie in to your hair?

I just need a little more info then I can help out!

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda

My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.
powwowbum49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-18-2002, 10:40 AM   #3
Someone who's posted alot

nativewife has a reputation beyond repute
nativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond reputenativewife has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
I'm not sure how big (or little) these feather are, but my friend showed me how to put them together to wear in the hair.

Sew a piece of hide tightly around the stem of the feather, so that there is extra hide off the end of the stem. This hide should be cut so that the extra hide that will be off the end of the stem is larger than the rest... I guess the hide would be cut in the shape of a lollipop.... thin for the part to be sewn around the stem, with a larger end.

After you sew the hide on the stems, put a slit (hole) in the middle of the extra hide off of the stem. Then take a hide lace and string it through the slits on the feathers, and then tie it in your hair.

My youngest has a hairpiece like this made from small red-tailed hawk feathers.... very pretty.

I was given more feathers to make a similar piece for my older daughter... i just haven't gotten around to it yet.... But I will....

;)
Old 06-20-2002, 03:48 AM   #4
Tiny Tot Dancer

NDN Princess 2001 is on a distinguished road
Credits: 0.00
Here is how I did it
Attached Thumbnails
pict0138.jpg  

NDN Princess 2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-2002, 05:05 AM   #5
freak ;-)

Selina has a reputation beyond repute
Selina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,186.80
wow!
that is really pretty!!!

When I want to use small feathers I usually take a sinew and leather and wrap it around the stem and bind it very tight together using the sinew.
then I make a small loop with the sinew. So I can bind it to whatever I want.

If they are really small I take a small strip of leather and tie the feathers with sinew onto the leather.
So I can bind the leather to anything else.

:D

Live each and every day of your life as though it would be your last!
Selina is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links