Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree1Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > General Crafts looking for help, tips, tricks, and general knowledge looking for help, tips, tricks, and general knowledge

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-21-2010, 10:45 AM   #1
Husband, Father, Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
GoodVoice is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 100.00
Savings: 0.00
looking for help, tips, tricks, and general knowledge

As the winter months roll in we find ourselves starting those all important projects to pass the time. This winter I've decided to re-do my old swing bustle. I'm planning on keeping the same general design just replacing the feathers and adding a few other "upgrades". Here's where it gets fun, the bustle was a kit purchased from Crazy Crow years ago and my parents did the majority of the work. I want to replace the existing feathers with some Black Vulture and Turkey Vulture feathers I've acquired but have no idea how to created extensions for the feathers or what to use for wrapping material. Any comments or friendly shoves in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance.
GoodVoice is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-21-2010, 02:12 PM   #2
goofball

Items ElephantPresent
Sunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond repute
Sunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 4,002.15
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodVoice View Post
I want to replace the existing feathers with some Black Vulture and Turkey Vulture feathers I've acquired .
I am not sure where you may have acquired the volture feathers, but they are birds of prey and goes under the same law as eagle and hawk, owl, falcon, feathers...they are illegal to carry unless you have got them the right way and is a card carrying Native...there are hefty fines, and maybe even prison, if you get a check up on them by fish and wildlife and you don't have papers on them or have a card..
I am not trying to be mean in any shape or form, just protect you from a potential problem in the future...

Many people think that volture feathers are ok to use, but they are not, contact your gamewarden for a complete list of the birds that is covered under the law, as birds have occanionally been added to the list.
Sunktaki is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-21-2010, 07:16 PM   #3
Pow Wow Visitor

Items PresentDolphinDevil
wanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond repute
wanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 36,801.61
I thought this post was about video games.
wanjica_the_one is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-21-2010, 11:02 PM   #4
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,709.27
A list of species covered by the MBTA

MBTA List of Migratory Birds

If you're not enrolled and do not have appropriate permits, take Sunktaki's advice. Save yourself a lot of trouble and use Spanish Black turkey or goose pointers.

There are a bunch of ways to do extenders. There are some tricks to make strong joins that are difficult to explain over the internet. And you absolutely don't want to lose a feather during a dance, so in this case I recommend you take some tobacco to a dancer in your area and get him to show you what to do.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-22-2010, 12:29 AM   #5
I pull your leg out!

Items Treasure ChestElephantPresentPresent
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 82,072.92
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanjica_the_one View Post
I thought this post was about video games.
HAHAHA, I kind of thought the same thing too, but thats cause I was just playing video games a minute ago.

Back on subject, as everyone else said, if you don't have a card fish and game will get you, lol. Not sure where in PA you live but were I'm at they get you on everything. We even got in trouble for filming in a stream, that was pretty well hidden and out of the way.

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/
Toolbox is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-22-2010, 08:04 AM   #6
Husband, Father, Dancer

I appreciate everyone's concern over my choice of feathers. Rest assured I am aware of fish and game rules and regulations. To clear any misunderstanding I'm also aware of the exemptions granted to card carrying Natives. The feathers were gifted to me by a card carrier who obtained them through roadkill harvest not intentional kills. Again, thanks for your concerns.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:19 AM   #7
goofball

Items ElephantPresent
Sunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond reputeSunktaki has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I appreciate everyone's concern over my choice of feathers. Rest assured I am aware of fish and game rules and regulations. To clear any misunderstanding I'm also aware of the exemptions granted to card carrying Natives. The feathers were gifted to me by a card carrier who obtained them through roadkill harvest not intentional kills. Again, thanks for your concerns.
First...do you have a card...
it doesn't matter who gave them to you unless you are a cardcarrier you can not go under the exemption of the law..

Second...
he found it as roadkill...
unless it they applied through the United States Fish and Wildlife Service's Migratory Bird Permit Office and numbered, they will be considered illegal...

Third...
you seem to have already made up your mind with using illegal feathers, so good luck hope you won't get caught, because we warned you, I am outta this thread...why waste my time
Old 12-22-2010, 11:11 AM   #8
Husband, Father, Dancer

I'm sorry you feel that way. Please accept my apology, I didn't intend to offend anyone. I'll be a little more selective about what info I release on here from now on....
Old 12-22-2010, 01:23 PM   #9
I pull your leg out!

Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Its not so much on the content of your question, as it is a good question, its all about the delivery because on the internet its hard to get a point across with the proper emotion cause its just text, lol.

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/
Old 12-22-2010, 06:33 PM   #10
HUUUUUUUUUH!

Iowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond repute
Iowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 4,359.51
UGHHHH Crazy Person from Pennsylvania ALERT!!!!!!!!
Iowa_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-22-2010, 07:44 PM   #11
Husband, Father, Dancer

Ok....not sure what that's supposed to mean. Last time I look for help and advice on this site
Old 12-22-2010, 10:08 PM   #12
Pow Wow Visitor

Items PresentDolphinDevil
wanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond repute
wanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 36,801.61
Quote:
Ok....not sure what that's supposed to mean. Last time I look for help and advice on this site
White boy speak with forked tongue with sponge brain all full of holes.
wanjica_the_one is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-22-2010, 10:22 PM   #13
Ugh. As. If.

Grits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond repute
Grits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 8,369.56
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa_Boy View Post
UGHHHH Crazy Person from Pennsylvania ALERT!!!!!!!!
awww come on now, toolbox aint that bad!

sumthin burnin teebs?
Grits & Beans is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-23-2010, 01:40 AM   #14
goofball

Items ElephantPresent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits & Beans View Post
awww come on now, toolbox aint that bad!

sumthin burnin teebs?
Dang it ...why do you think he goes under the nickname toolbox...because he always have to carry it with him because they got screws loose up there....duuuh....lol
Old 12-23-2010, 09:10 AM   #15
Ugh. As. If.

Grits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond repute
Grits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunktaki View Post
Dang it ...why do you think he goes under the nickname toolbox...because he always have to carry it with him because they got screws loose up there....duuuh....lol
OHHH!!!

burn! burn! burn!

Old 12-23-2010, 11:24 AM   #16
I pull your leg out!

G&B the only thing burning is your cooking... lol. On a serious note there are a lot of crazy people here in PA, me I'm just insane because I snack on lead paint chips. Yall are right about people with screws loose here, hey it at least supplies some entertainment. As for the OP, he didn't seem crazy to me, especially considering the abundance of new agers that come here, he just seemed a little misguided.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:48 PM   #17
Husband, Father, Dancer

Just to clear something up, I am not a "new ager". I've been involved with the Pow Wow community for the better part of twenty years. My s/n is actually my Sioux name given to me by a respected elder about ten years ago. I was also told by the card carrier that gifted me the feathers that there is a loophole in the law meaning if the "illegal" items are gifted by a card carrier then the receiver is in the clear. If that is wrong, then someone I've know and trusted for several years has lied to me.
All that BS aside and regardless if I use the questionable material or not, I came here reaching out for ideas regarding construction of a swing bustle, possibly a double swing bustle. Any info regarding that will be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:06 PM   #18
Ugh. As. If.

showtime

Old 12-23-2010, 07:18 PM   #19
Eskimo wannabe

Items ElephantTreasure ChestPresentPresent
vBActivity Stats
Achievements Happy 10th AnniversaryHappy 5th AnniversaryEverybody Loves Me!Posting GodThe Popular One
Items ElephantTreasure ChestPresentPresent
neling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond repute
neling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond repute
neling4 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-23-2010, 08:18 PM   #20
HUUUUUUUUUH!

Iowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond repute
Iowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 4,359.51
Quote:
Just to clear something up, I am not a "new ager". I've been involved with the Pow Wow community for the better part of twenty years. My s/n is actually my Sioux name given to me by a respected elder about ten years ago. I was also told by the card carrier that gifted me the feathers that there is a loophole in the law meaning if the "illegal" items are gifted by a card carrier then the receiver is in the clear. If that is wrong, then someone I've know and trusted for several years has lied to me.
All that BS aside and regardless if I use the questionable material or not, I came here reaching out for ideas regarding construction of a swing bustle, possibly a double swing bustle. Any info regarding that will be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Ho waste! Mita koda! Yes, you have been lied too. That is against the law. Everyone must have paperwork on every feather, you can't say "they were given to me by someone who got them legally" which is code for "I got these illegally."

And you have a "sioux name" are you sioux? probably not, your respected elder gave you that name? Where, in Penn?
Iowa_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links