Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > General Crafts Mink Hair Ties Mink Hair Ties

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2002, 07:16 PM   #1
Riverwoman

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Question Mink Hair Ties

What do you think of Mink hairties? Yes I am talking about the real thing, thinking about sewing them to the beaded part, above the fur, on a new set... just wondering

No otter around, but hmmm! Fell in love with that mink:P
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-10-2002, 12:54 AM   #2
Pow Wow Visitor

lil anna is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
I have mink braid covers(hairties) They are from an old coat of my mom's. I like that I have incorporated something of hers into my outfit. I have dark brown hair too and it matches really good.
lil anna is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-10-2002, 02:43 PM   #3
freak ;-)

Selina has a reputation beyond repute
Selina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,186.80
Why not?
I used the fur of a fox for my outfit.
I got it from my mom. She took it off from an old coat, where it was on the collar.
Now I have it on my braids.
Attached Thumbnails
portrait-sm.jpg  

Live each and every day of your life as though it would be your last!
Selina is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-10-2002, 03:52 PM   #4
Riverwoman

Selina, that is such a nice picture of you! ok,now that I have had a few replies, I just might!:) A mink pelt here in town is $46.00 CDN, dang, and those just make me wish for a coat*hehe*:p

My mom also mentioned that I might try the Salvation Army and see if there is any old fur coats or hats, it might be a bit cheaper, but hell... those minks are out of this world:D

Speaking of that, would one pelt be enough? I dont realy need big hairties, but from the looks of it, I could easily get two ties from the one mink pelt.

Thanks all;)
Old 11-11-2002, 01:08 PM   #5
Senior Dancer

luvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond repute
luvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 289.33
Savings: 1.00
My daughter had a pair of minks when she was young. We can get them in Oklahoma for $25 to $50 a pair. We used the whole mink and tied them on with a beaded hairtie.
luvstraightdancrs is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-11-2002, 01:15 PM   #6
Riverwoman

I had no idea that some used the whole mink. Again, I had never thought of that

How would you attach the mink to the beaded part? I was just thinking of cutting some strips of fur from the pelt.
Old 11-11-2002, 01:30 PM   #7
Senior Dancer

luvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond repute
We didn't attach them, she had more than one set of hairties (more than one set of beadwork). We just left longer ties on the back of the beaded piece, placed it over the top of the hind that tied it on tightly. They were tied on below the head.

If you were going to attach them to the hide I would just use sinew and sew from the hide to the back of the hairtie. Making sure that I had a piece of leather attached to tie it on your braid. It's easier to do than explain.
Old 11-11-2002, 06:12 PM   #8
Beady Eyed & Beautiful

Items DollDolphin
Suzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond repute
Suzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 4,206.83
I use whole minks for my hairties. The ones I have include red and yellow medicine wheels attached to the top. My beaded ties get put on right underneath the wheels. Having the ties in two different spots really helps the minks to stay in my hair.

One thing you might do is to attach barettes to the back of your minks to hold them in place & then tie them. (That idea just popped into my head.) Good luck!
Suzizila is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-12-2002, 12:05 AM   #9
Downstream People

ogapahndn has a reputation beyond repute
ogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 439.14
I also use whole mink hairties. I have several different braidties so I did not attach my minks to any of them. What I do is take the tie from the beaded piece and put it through the eyeholes of the minks. I then tie that into my braid. Works great! I've never had a problem with them! I also have a set of whole red fox hairties. I don't fancy shawl with them though, too big and wide. The mink are perfect, light and move well! I'll look around for a pic and put it on.

Last edited by ogapahndn; 11-12-2002 at 02:12 PM..
ogapahndn is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-12-2002, 12:15 PM   #10
Riverwoman

Dang, I never even thought of putting the thongs or ties thru the eyes of the mink*l* Does that ever sound weird, when you are tired:p

That is great, cause I was wondering if I would have to cut off the head, and the feet, just use some fur strips, but I guess not!
Old 11-18-2002, 02:02 AM   #11
Senior Dancer

Putting ties through their eyes is a little creepy, I will still tie them on just under the head. Don't believe in decapitation either. Oh, we also leave the feet. Like to watch them swing and sway
Sponsored Links