Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree56Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > General Crafts Native American Arts Festival at Idyllwild Native American Arts Festival at Idyllwild

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2015, 02:13 AM   #21
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 47,231.08
Savings: 0.00
Well, it's Tuesday evening.

Last night we had a gallery talk and a the instructors exhibit opening. Good art and a good talk.

Since this is powwows.com and all conversations eventually gets to food, I'll cut to the chase. We have had two Native haute cuisine tasting with dishes by Chef Freddie Bitsoie. Hominy with bacon and onions, two salads with ingredients I can't completely recall, agave cured salmon and pinion nut soup.

Dr Lios Ellen Frank spoke during lunch today about using traditional foodways to address health issues within Native communities. She also discussed the similarities and differences between science and traditional environmental knowledge. She is a dynamic speaker. Shame she didn't have another hour.

In the studio, we have been working hard. There is a group of folks who have taken this workshop several times. I think they are in the corner fabricating an entire jewelry store to inlay, LOL. I've got a pendant working. My cousin is more adventurous; she is doing a bracelet. There are a couple of us intermediate folks. And there are a few torch-virgins who are just starting out. We have students from California, Maine, Texas, Vermont and Australia.

I have learned so much in just these two days. Mr Tsosie is so generous, sharing information and techniques. I have already learned: a much better way to fabricate sterling buckle hardware. A better way to make a bail. I had pictures of his work and his brother's in my studio and my inspiration book. But to actually hold it and study it has been an education. (Not to mention watching someone with that level of mastery work is an esthetic experience of itself. His saw work is the best I have ever seen.)

Last edited by OLChemist; 07-01-2015 at 02:16 AM..
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2015, 03:30 AM   #22
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
It's midnight CA time. My cousin and I just closed the studio, LOL. (Ok, I lie. I washed off the turquoise, lapis and jet dust before posting.) I haven't pulled a 8 am to 11:30 pm day in the studio since I was a spry young undergrad. I've been to busy to even take pictures. (Plus we have had a parade of film crews and photographers traipsing through, since metal and fire is visually dramatic. I am loathe to snap off another camera.)

We wrapped up the silver fabrication part of the course. Now we're beginning the lapidary. Mr Tsosie is pushing me beyond my comfort zone. I'm having to stretch, which is good if uncomfortable, LOL. He made me flip my pendant over -- absolutely the right decision aesthetically -- but opposite the way I always do it. I'm having to learn to see differently.

Today's lecture was on muralisim as an embodiment of Gerald Visenor's idea of survivance. A scholar from U of Az discussed how Native artists were using Native images in street art to reclaim the public space.

Chef Bitsoie served wild rice (from Red Lake) and wild mushroom soup, and Navajo corn cake with agave syrup rather than brown sugar. Yummy. The cake brought back some happy memories.
windanncer and subeeds like this.

Last edited by OLChemist; 07-02-2015 at 07:40 AM..
Old 07-02-2015, 08:35 AM   #23
On The Rocks

Items ElephantTreasure ChestPresentPresent
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 85,198.26
Savings: 1.00
Good to see you are having a nice productive time up there. I can't break away to visit. It was raining over that way, rare monsoonal clouds, wished I was up there.
subeeds likes this.
AmigoKumeyaay is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-01-2016, 02:15 PM   #24
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
Registration for this year's program opened today. There is also information for applying for scholarships for the program.

Native American Arts Festival 2016
Old 07-19-2016, 04:20 PM   #25
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
Coming in Sept to a PBS station near you: Craft in America -- Teachers. Two of the featured artists are weavers, Barbara Teller Ornelas and Lynda Teller Pete. Some of the footage was filmed during last summer's Native American Arts Festival at Idyllwild.

Teachers

They trekked through our class as well and filmed an Interview with Mr Tsosie, but I don't think that will be included.
wardancer and windanncer like this.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:07 PM   #26
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
The 2017 program is up. The theme is Art and Activism:

2017 Native American Arts Festival

There are several new classes this year, including a San Ildefonso style reduction firing, and a two needle beadworking classes. Ms Teller Ornelas and Ms Teller Pete are teaching weaving again, and Mr Tsosie is teaching inlay. There is a new instructor for the Hopi overlay class.

Mr Lomatewama is teaching glass blowing again, but earlier in the summer.

Glass blowing

There are scholarships. The application forms are on the website.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:25 AM   #27
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
Updated links:

Native American Art Festival

Glass Blowing w/Mr Lomatewama
Sponsored Links