Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By docat
  • 2 Post By docat
  • 1 Post By Eagle Plumes

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > General Crafts Need idea pictures for my MIL! Need idea pictures for my MIL!

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 01:31 PM   #1
LeannB

Items DollDollCat
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
LeannB has a reputation beyond repute
LeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,648.74
Savings: 0.00
Need idea pictures for my MIL!

Hey, I've been looking thru this site and I am not finding what I am looking for...tho' I am sure it is here. Maybe I'm not putting the right words into the search engine.

We are Shawnee (mixed with a touch of Miami and Cherokee).

I made two regalia outfits for MIL a few years back and I found out a few months ago she does NOT like them. I made her two cape blouses (which don't fit in the hips...I should have realized she would need more room there, since she is built differently from me), and the skirts (a nod to our Cherokee genealogy; a bit full and gathered w/ruffle and ribbon at the hem; think skirt part of a tear dress) are too long and too hot. I have several wrap skirts, but she let me know she does NOT do wool.

So we have several events coming up that she will need to attend and I want her to feel pretty. So I'm on here trying to find pics of today's Shawnee powwow lady dancers. We're thinking maybe cotton wrap skirts, trimmed w/ a bit of ribbon...but I need her to look at what other gals are wearing so she'll have some idea about what she wants. I usually go more historical than a lot of the outfits out there now, but she likes to look spiffy. AND stay cool.

If you can show me pics of Shawnee (or at least, Woodland tradish women dancers!) that I can show her, then I would be grateful!

Thanks...from someone who wants to keep a wonderful MIL happy!

Last edited by LeannB; 04-17-2013 at 01:34 PM..
LeannB is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-18-2013, 10:42 AM   #2
Pronounced like "docket"

Items Rainbow$CakeTreasure Chest
docat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond repute
docat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 7,375.82
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeannB View Post
Hey, I've been looking thru this site and I am not finding what I am looking for...tho' I am sure it is here. Maybe I'm not putting the right words into the search engine.

We are Shawnee (mixed with a touch of Miami and Cherokee).

I made two regalia outfits for MIL a few years back and I found out a few months ago she does NOT like them. I made her two cape blouses (which don't fit in the hips...I should have realized she would need more room there, since she is built differently from me), and the skirts (a nod to our Cherokee genealogy; a bit full and gathered w/ruffle and ribbon at the hem; think skirt part of a tear dress) are too long and too hot. I have several wrap skirts, but she let me know she does NOT do wool.

So we have several events coming up that she will need to attend and I want her to feel pretty. So I'm on here trying to find pics of today's Shawnee powwow lady dancers. We're thinking maybe cotton wrap skirts, trimmed w/ a bit of ribbon...but I need her to look at what other gals are wearing so she'll have some idea about what she wants. I usually go more historical than a lot of the outfits out there now, but she likes to look spiffy. AND stay cool.

If you can show me pics of Shawnee (or at least, Woodland tradish women dancers!) that I can show her, then I would be grateful!

Thanks...from someone who wants to keep a wonderful MIL happy!

Since you don't have a lot of time to make new clothes, perhaps modify the ones she has.

Active women often split the side seam of a blouse to the waist and then finish the hem of the blouse that way...almost like it has shirttails.

Wool can be lined with a satin or acetate material so that it isn't itchy next to the skin. OR if you think that would be too hot, you can line with a thicker cotton that will breathe and also protect the skin from the wool fibers.

If you do make something newer, perhaps a lighter weight wool? Broadcloth was in wide use, so if you sew something new, perhaps use a broadcloth in the appropriate colors.

Skirts too long can be hemmed shorter. Strategically placed ribbon can mask a style that was meant to be long.

Hope this helps. I hope you don't have to remake the clothes from scratch, but if you do, you can make her exactly what she wants.

Hope that helps.
LeannB likes this.
docat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #3
LeannB

Items DollDollCat
LeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by docat View Post
Since you don't have a lot of time to make new clothes, perhaps modify the ones she has.

Active women often split the side seam of a blouse to the waist and then finish the hem of the blouse that way...almost like it has shirttails.

Wool can be lined with a satin or acetate material so that it isn't itchy next to the skin. OR if you think that would be too hot, you can line with a thicker cotton that will breathe and also protect the skin from the wool fibers.

If you do make something newer, perhaps a lighter weight wool? Broadcloth was in wide use, so if you sew something new, perhaps use a broadcloth in the appropriate colors.

Skirts too long can be hemmed shorter. Strategically placed ribbon can mask a style that was meant to be long.

Hope this helps. I hope you don't have to remake the clothes from scratch, but if you do, you can make her exactly what she wants.

Hope that helps.
Those are good ideas, friend...but I'm thinking she doesn't like what I made AT ALL. The blouses are going to take more than a shirt tail hem; I think they're going to take some inverted v shape inserts.

I got to looking on this site and EVERY pic I have seen involves long wrap skirts (not just-below-the-knee short ones), leggings, and long sleeve blouses. She wants cool, cool, c-o-o-l. Short sleeve, one piece.

I'm tired of fighting it. She is going to have to have a ribbon dress. At 70 plus years old, mama gets what mama wants, I'ma thinking.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:34 PM   #4
Pronounced like "docket"

Items Rainbow$CakeTreasure Chest
docat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond repute
docat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 7,375.82
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeannB View Post
Those are good ideas, friend...but I'm thinking she doesn't like what I made AT ALL. The blouses are going to take more than a shirt tail hem; I think they're going to take some inverted v shape inserts.

I got to looking on this site and EVERY pic I have seen involves long wrap skirts (not just-below-the-knee short ones), leggings, and long sleeve blouses. She wants cool, cool, c-o-o-l. Short sleeve, one piece.

I'm tired of fighting it. She is going to have to have a ribbon dress. At 70 plus years old, mama gets what mama wants, I'ma thinking.
LOL! Those wrap skirts are SOOOO comfortable. You can make them looser when you have some vigorous activity (which I KNOW you have doing the stuff you do) and then tighten them a little for a more figure flattering look.

Yeah, I don't know what the fuss is about wool. Some people find it too scratchy. I love wool. It's a little much in the summer though.

Calico was in wide use as a trade material. I have seen some calico dresses with ribbon embellishments.
Eagle Plumes and LeannB like this.
docat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2013, 07:38 AM   #5
LeannB

Items DollDollCat
I like the wrap skirts, too, Docat! And I have several. And you're right, they're pretty versatile. But even the cotton ones are too much for her in the hot summer sun.

But I'm the gal who wore a shift, stays, shortgown (jacket, two petticoats (skirts) and a cap at Williamsburg in upper 80's Virginia heat and humidity......

(Glutton for punishment, I guess...... ;o)
Old 04-19-2013, 09:57 AM   #6
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantRainbowDevilDevil
Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 32,425.79
Savings: 1.00
Just want to be nosey and say, most of my outfits are summer weight wool and since I find it waaay itchy my tops are lined with either calico or light weight canvas. My cowrie shell top is done in that so it can hold the weight of the 300 plus shells and keep its shape if that makes sence ??

bTW I find those wrap skirts beautifull ..
LeannB likes this.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:10 AM   #7
LeannB

Items DollDollCat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Plumes View Post
Just want to be nosey and say, most of my outfits are summer weight wool and since I find it waaay itchy my tops are lined with either calico or light weight canvas. My cowrie shell top is done in that so it can hold the weight of the 300 plus shells and keep its shape if that makes sence ??

bTW I find those wrap skirts beautifull ..
I hear ya, girl!

I have some nice wool pieces, myself.

But I've been told (in no uncertain terms) that there will be NO wool. NONE. It breaks her out in an allergic rash. Even when it is lined.