Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree53Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > General Crafts Pipes in Apache tradition Pipes in Apache tradition

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-21-2018, 10:16 PM   #21
Me & Eyes are the best !

Items DevilPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 60,757.48
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by WomanfromOz View Post
Sorry Wardancer but there was a Cree Chief named "SweetGrass" in Canada. There are many "Plains tribes" living in Canada including Blackfoot, Cree, Ojibwa, Assiniboine, Nakota and Dakota. Plains Tibes have been having families with Inuits for thousands of years. All of the Inuit people in my family are also Native American.

I love the smell of burning sweetgrass. You can actually buy it here now. It is in every hippie, cultural store, alone or in smudging mixes.

I smudge to clear my home of negative energy. I smudge on the full moon to remember and feel close to my Ancestors (of all cultures) who lived by the moon cycles. I also smudge as an offering to the Traditional Owners of the land I live on to acknowledge that it doesn't belong to me and that I respect them.

For me it's a personal thing that I do in the privacy of my home so I don't see your problem.
Yes , those are "Plains Tribes". On this continent "The Great Plains" extends into Canada ! The "issue" is your attitude towards Our culture ! This is something you said to me and I quote "I practise both Earth/spirit Native religion and Christianity." So you just throw a whole bunch of mixed up religions together and claim that. You don't truly know squat about any one tribe's beliefs ! All you have is a stereotypical belief that we all lived in harmony and everybody got along with each other. There are special uses for different herbs that we smudge with. Only the un-knowing just mix them all up and have a "universal" smudge. That's what upsets me! You don't really know chit and you want everybody to accept you as ndn, just because you got a little DNA. It doesn't work like that. You are just a thin blood wishiwas until you show something besides DNA !
gilisi likes this.

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
wardancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2018, 10:24 PM   #22
Me & Eyes are the best !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
You probably love to come up to the Lakota Rez and Sundance ! I'm sure they'd let you right in ! It's a "native thing" you could lay claim to it also ! How about going to The Kiowa Ceremonials , I'm sure you'd fit right in. Not The Cheyennes Ceremonies though , we're all *ssh*les !
OLChemist and gilisi like this.

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 09-21-2018, 10:28 PM   #23
Tiny Tot Dancer

WomanfromOz is infamous around these partsWomanfromOz is infamous around these partsWomanfromOz is infamous around these partsWomanfromOz is infamous around these parts
Credits: 1,195.29
Savings: 0.00
A quote from a Canadian Aboriginal website:

Sweetgrass is one of the four plants (tobacco, sage, red cedar and sweetgrass) considered as sacred to First Nations, Inuit and Métis Peoples. It is known for its sweet scent, which is intensified when it rains or when burned. It is usually associated with the Prairies but is found in many different growing conditions from low meadows, forest openings, along lake shores but also in subalpine and alpine zones. It is found across North America, Northern Europe below the Arctic Circle.

PS: Canada is just below the Arctic Circle.

You really should research what you say before you say it. If you are going to accuse me of something, have the right information.

I suggest you learn about Canadian Aboriginal culture and you will find its quite similar in some respects to American Aboriginal culture. Then, you can have an informed opinion on Inuit people instead of assuming you know about Inuit culture.
WomanfromOz is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2018, 10:31 PM   #24
Me & Eyes are the best !

Items DevilPresent
Quote:
A quote from a Canadian Aboriginal website:

Sweetgrass is one of the four plants (tobacco, sage, red cedar and sweetgrass) considered as sacred to First Nations, Inuit and Métis Peoples. It is known for its sweet scent, which is intensified when it rains or when burned. It is usually associated with the Prairies but is found in many different growing conditions from low meadows, forest openings, along lake shores but also in subalpine and alpine zones. It is found across North America, Northern Europe below the Arctic Circle.

PS: Canada is just below the Arctic Circle.

You really should research what you say before you say it. If you are going to accuse me of something, have the right information.

I suggest you learn about Canadian Aboriginal culture and you will find its quite similar in some respects to American Aboriginal culture. Then, you can have an informed opinion on Inuit people instead of assuming you know about Inuit culture.
You should stay on the Canadian Aboriginal website and leave us ndns that live ndn everyday alone ! My wife's family ARE Inuit, and they really are ndn !Yes , they are the sacred 4 , but we know which one is used for what. We don't just use them cause they smell good. Each one has a specific use. Stick that up your website !
gilisi likes this.

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Last edited by wardancer; 09-21-2018 at 10:35 PM.. Reason: added
Old 09-21-2018, 10:36 PM   #25
Tiny Tot Dancer

WomanfromOz is infamous around these partsWomanfromOz is infamous around these partsWomanfromOz is infamous around these partsWomanfromOz is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardancer View Post
Yes , those are "Plains Tribes". On this continent "The Great Plains" extends into Canada ! The "issue" is your attitude towards Our culture ! This is something you said to me and I quote "I practise both Earth/spirit Native religion and Christianity." So you just throw a whole bunch of mixed up religions together and claim that. You don't truly know squat about any one tribe's beliefs ! All you have is a stereotypical belief that we all lived in harmony and everybody got along with each other. There are special uses for different herbs that we smudge with. Only the un-knowing just mix them all up and have a "universal" smudge. That's what upsets me! You don't really know chit and you want everybody to accept you as ndn, just because you got a little DNA. It doesn't work like that. You are just a thin blood wishiwas until you show something besides DNA !
I don't want to know about your religious beliefs as I have my own. I don't need to explain all of my religious/cultural groups that I belong to on an Internet forum to someone I don't know that's why I phrased it that way.

I never said I thought everyone lived in harmony. I've read history. You aren't the only tribe or culture to use smudge. Your arrogance surrounding the idea of other cultures using smudge suggests a lack of respect for others. I'm not a thin blood. I state my Quantam, you don't ever state yours.

I don't need or want your acceptance. I already have the acceptance of my Native family members. Your opinion is futile. I'm secure in my identity with my own Native culture.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:36 PM   #26
Me & Eyes are the best !

Items DevilPresent
The only real thing I've accused you of is being a DNA Idiot !
gilisi likes this.

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 09-21-2018, 10:38 PM   #27
Me & Eyes are the best !

Items DevilPresent
Quote:
I don't want to know about your religious beliefs as I have my own. I don't need to explain all of my religious/cultural groups that I belong to on an Internet forum to someone I don't know that's why I phrased it that way.

I never said I thought everyone lived in harmony. I've read history. You aren't the only tribe or culture to use smudge. Your arrogance surrounding the idea of other cultures using smudge suggests a lack of respect for others. I'm not a thin blood. I state my Quantam, you don't ever state yours.

I don't need or want your acceptance. I already have the acceptance of my Native family members. Your opinion is futile. I'm secure in my identity with my own Native culture.
show me your card and I'll show you mine ! DNA doesn't give you a "Quantum"

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 09-21-2018, 10:38 PM   #28
Pow Wow Committee

gilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond repute
gilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 60,233.44
This was the first post we saw from her:

Originally Posted by WomanfromOz
"Hi, I'm a girl from outback Australia that grew up thinking she was Spanish, Scottish and Asian.
I never met my grandfather because he died before I was born but I saw plenty of photos and he clearly looked Asian as far as I could see.
He didn't know what his ethnicity was but assumed Asian. After having many DNA tests to confirm I found out that I am part Native American and Inuit. Besides my Italian, Spanish and Scottish.

I've matched up with many people who have Cherokee blood as well as Inuits. All of the people I match who have Cherokee blood are descendants of Fivekiller.

I believe my Great grandmother Esther was in America before she came to Australia and she arrived here pregnant.

It feels a bit surreal to find out I have Native American Ancestry. My mother and I have always been interested in Native American culture, jewellery, medicine, spirit religion etc. We both have always used natural medicine and have always been very spiritual. We are both Clairvoyant and have always wondered where it came from. I'm not sure if we have the same spirit guides but are very intune with nature and animals.

My Grandfather was a farmer and butcher and my mother used to assist him in animal slaughter and skinning from when she was a child.

A world away from where my Ancestor came from on the plains of America. I've always been drawn to Native American men in a big way, I had a long distance relationship with a Native American man I met online. He died before I got to meet him in person sadly.

I've always had a longing to visit America and go to a reservation from when I was a little girl. I'm looking forward to experiencing Native culture and hospitality one day.

Is it difficult to find a reservation to visit to experience Native culture? Will I be accepted as a part Native woman and be allowed to come to a Powwow? It would mean a lot to me to be accepted in this way.

I'm don't want or need a piece of paper or a stamp to prove anything. I know I am Native, it's in my heart, and the blood that fills my veins. A certificate doesn't add anything to how I feel about being part Indian.

I feel very privileged to say that I am part Native American and carry the spirits of my Ancestors."

✨✨

"Show me somethin"
gilisi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2018, 10:40 PM   #29
Pow Wow Committee

gilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond repute
gilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond repute
Now she's chief smudgealot, the bridge building pillar of wisdom who knows all things NDN...

"Show me somethin"
Old 09-21-2018, 10:43 PM   #30
Pow Wow Committee

Attached Thumbnails
pocahontas-hipster-paint-colours-wind-colores-viento.jpg  

"Show me somethin"
Old 09-21-2018, 10:48 PM   #31
Tiny Tot Dancer

Quote:
You should stay on the Canadian Aboriginal website and leave us ndns that live ndn everyday alone ! My wife's family ARE Inuit, and they really are ndn !Yes , they are the sacred 4 , but we know which one is used for what. We don't just use them cause they smell good. Each one has a specific use. Stick that up your website !
Well that's strange because you told me that your wife was Southern Cheyenne and her brother was an Arrow Priest. So is she Inuit or Southern Cheyenne? I didn't know that there was a big Inuit community in Oklahoma.

If your wife was Inuit then she would have told you that Inuit people use sweetgrass and even make baskets about of it instead you asking me if they used it or not.

Which part of Canada is your wife from?
Old 09-21-2018, 10:49 PM   #32
Me & Eyes are the best !

Items DevilPresent
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilisi View Post
This was the first post we saw from her:

"Hi, I'm a girl from outback Australia that grew up thinking she was Spanish, Scottish and Asian.

I've matched up with many people who have Cherokee blood as well as Inuits. All of the people I match who have Cherokee blood are descendants of Fivekiller.

✨✨
It took only a minute to find this out about your "Cherokee Family" The name "FiveKiller" is a Delaware name......you should do some more research !
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nancy_Ward

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 09-21-2018, 10:51 PM   #33
Tiny Tot Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilisi View Post
Now she's chief smudgealot, the bridge building pillar of wisdom who knows all things NDN...
Are you aware that Australian Aboriginal people smudge too?

I'm not a pillar of wisdom. I don't know anything about Native Americans except for the one that I was in a Relationship with. I have never said I did know about anything NDN.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:54 PM   #34
Me & Eyes are the best !

Items DevilPresent
Quote:
Well that's strange because you told me that your wife was Southern Cheyenne and her brother was an Arrow Priest. So is she Inuit or Southern Cheyenne? I didn't know that there was a big Inuit community in Oklahoma.

If your wife was Inuit then she would have told you that Inuit people use sweetgrass and even make baskets about of it instead you asking me if they used it or not.

Which part of Canada is your wife from?
No I did not , here's a quote " My Uncle is an Arrow Priest and I have 2 uncles and a brother in law that are Chiefs !"
My wife is Cherokee , Creek , Choctaw , and Inuit. !My wife has Family in Hoonaw Alaska and in other parts of the State. Her niece was a Miss Indian World contestant a few years ago. There's some more of your business
gilisi likes this.

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 09-21-2018, 10:56 PM   #35
Tiny Tot Dancer

Quote:
It took only a minute to find this out about your "Cherokee Family" The name "FiveKiller" is a Delaware name......you should do some more research !
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nancy_Ward
I don't have a Cherokee family. I only said I matched many people who descended from a man named Fivekiller in their family tree. And no, it's not documented in my family tree on paper for obvious reasons of which I haven't gone into details of because I am being sensitive to people on here.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:58 PM   #36
Me & Eyes are the best !

Items DevilPresent
Quote:
Are you aware that Australian Aboriginal people smudge too?

I'm not a pillar of wisdom. I don't know anything about Native Americans except for the one that I was in a Relationship with. I have never said I did know about anything NDN.
Does Buffalo Sweetgrass grow wild on the plains of Australia ?

Then you should not be giving advice like you are.
gilisi likes this.

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 09-21-2018, 11:04 PM   #37
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 61,222.75
To the OP:

I suspect you appreciate this, but it needs restating. Forgive me if I repeat something you already know.

Native ways spring from very different roots than those of Europe. These differences run deep. The New World does not have Hellenistic roots. One area of significant discontinuity is modes of learning and inquiry.

Western methods of inquiry are shaped by Plato's Socratic Dialogues. In the west you question and you debate. Classroom learning is deductive -- ie I stand in the front my students lecturing and demonstrating. I will tell them what patterns they should see and how they should preform a task. Then I will probe their understanding by questioning. And they will refine their understanding by questioning me.

Native learning is different. It is largely inductive. There is no Socrates in the front of the classroom, questioning and debating. There are eyes and ears and brain. You observe and reflect. You watch others and when ready copy. The patterns slowly emerge. The instructor models and talks around the subject. You're left to put the pieces together. When you must offer direction it is done without imposing on the autonomy of student, often by analogy.

Further, like all cultures the sacred is treated with respect and care. The difference is, in some Native cultures, part of that respect is embodied in a need to know approach to information about the scared. Realize the sacred can be dangerous if abused. There are metaphysical consequences to the sharing and use of scared knowledge. Thus information may not be readily shared, even within the tribe. For example as a woman, I don't need to know what men do in their ceremonies.

Questioning about such matters is done very carefully in many Native cultures. If you're going to ask you must be prepared for silence to great your inquiry. Not out of maliciousness, but out of respect for the Creator's original instructions. It is important to listen carefully to the words spoken and those not given voice. Both have things to teach you.
gilisi likes this.

Last edited by OLChemist; 10-28-2018 at 10:45 AM..
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2018, 11:05 PM   #38
Me & Eyes are the best !

Items DevilPresent
Quote:
I don't have a Cherokee family. I only said I matched many people who descended from a man named Fivekiller in their family tree. And no, it's not documented in my family tree on paper for obvious reasons of which I haven't gone into details of because I am being sensitive to people on here.
Well , I'm pretty sure I can read:

"I've matched up with many people who have Cherokee blood as well as Inuits. All of the people I match who have Cherokee blood are descendants of Fivekiller."

It really doesn't matter anymore ! You obviously don't know any more than it takes to be picked apart in this forum. You should go make up some more stories for us to pick at. It's been "Real" and it's been "Fun" but I can't say it's been "Real Fun"........Oh wait , but it has !
gilisi likes this.

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 09-21-2018, 11:09 PM   #39
Me & Eyes are the best !

Items DevilPresent
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
To the OP:

I suspect you appreciate this, but it needs restating. Forgive me if I repeat something you already know.

Native ways spring from very different roots than those of Europe. These differences run deep. The New World does not have Hellenistic roots. One area of significant discontinuity is modes of learning and inquiry.

Western methods of inquiry are shaped by Plato's Socratic Dialogues. In the west you question and you debate. Classroom learning is deductive -- ie I stand in the front my students lecturing and demonstrating. I will tell them what patterns they should see and how they should preform a task. Then I will probe their understanding by questioning. And they will refine their understanding by questioning me.

Native learning is different. It is largely inductive. There is no Socrates in the front of the classroom, question and debating. There are eyes and ears and brain. You observe and reflect. You watch others and when ready copy. The patterns slowly emerge. The instructor models and talks around the subject. You're left to put the pieces together. When you must offer direction it is done without imposing on the autonomy of student, often by analogy.

Further, like all cultures the sacred is treated with respect and care. The difference is, in some Native cultures, part of that respect is embodied in a need to know approach to information about the scared. Realize the sacred can be dangerous if abused. There are metaphysical consequences to the sharing and use of scared knowledge. Thus information may not be readily shared, even within the tribe. For example as a woman, I don't need to know what men do in their ceremonies.

Questioning about such matters is done very carefully in many Native cultures. If you're going to ask you must be prepared for silence to great your inquiry. Not out of maliciousness, but out of respect for the Creator's original instructions. It is important to listen carefully to the words spoken and those not given voice. Both have things to teach you.
Thank-you my friend. You have much more patience than I and your words are special.
OLChemist and gilisi like this.

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 09-21-2018, 11:15 PM   #40
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 61,222.75
Thank you.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links