Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree53Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > General Crafts Pipes in Apache tradition Pipes in Apache tradition

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-21-2018, 11:23 PM   #61
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 57,840.06
Savings: 0.00
Just a reminder to all. If you go on to your User Control Panel, under the Settings and Options list, you can edits your ignore list and add your "favorite" poster.
gilisi likes this.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2018, 11:41 PM   #62
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
To the OP

Another thing you need to be aware of is that this is very defensive time in many native communities. During the 1960's and 1970's, many communities welcomed the seekers from the dominant culture. It was very mixed bag. The hippies came with a genuine interest and huge load of the colonizer's privilege.

I was a child but I heard more than a few stories. In one community, they followed the kiva priests to a shrine and returned in the night to steal. On Pine Ridge and Rosebud, they came sweated, fasted and pierced. Then they went home and started running workshops for their friends and other paying customers. They took a dash on Hinduism, a scoop of Ebo spiritism, a lump of Christian mysticism, added drugs and made a toxic syncretic brew.

This didn't sit well with Native communities that didn't get official religious freedom protection until 1978. Communities which still have to ligate burdens placed on their practice by a system which understands religiosity and the sacred in a manner which is nearly a polar opposite of many Native conceptions. Further, the demands of the wealthier members of the dominant culture for scarce material resources, like herbs and feathers, which had long been items of trade but were now commodified, placed a strain on individuals. Beyond these mere resentments, many Native holy people felt that the mixture and misuse damaged the cosmos and their culture.

For these reasons, some communities and some medicine people will send you on your way.
wardancer, gilisi and Broken Arrow like this.

Last edited by OLChemist; 09-22-2018 at 12:23 AM.. Reason: Dang auto-correct. Siri, you can't read my mind because the print is too blurry. When I type Ebo, I mean Ebo not Ego.
Old 09-22-2018, 01:26 AM   #63
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
Mod hat on again.

[sarcasm font]Well, folks thanks for teaching me a new word.[/sarcasm font] I could have lived without learning yet another crude term for female anatomy. I thought I had been called all of them over the years. Sad when a folks have so internalized gender oppression that they use such a term.

I have edited multiple postings. If folks who used it or quoted it have problem with my edits, complain to the management.
gilisi likes this.
Old 09-22-2018, 01:29 AM   #64
Pow Wow Committee

gilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond repute
gilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 58,958.33
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
Mod hat on again.

[sarcasm font]Well, folks thanks for teaching me a new word.[/sarcasm font] I could have lived without learning yet another crude term for female anatomy. I thought I had been called all of them over the years. Sad when a folks have so internalized gender oppression that they use such a term.

I have edited multiple postings. If folks who used it or quoted it have problem with my edits, complain to the management.
If i offended you OLC, I apologize.
OLChemist and Broken Arrow like this.

"Show me somethin"
gilisi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-22-2018, 12:26 PM   #65
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
Since this thread is pretty well shot to heck and the OP probably isn't coming back, I may as well blow it up completely. Gather 'round kiddies for Dr Rose's discussion of Hierochloe odorata.

Hierochloe odorata, odorous holy grass in Latin, grows is North America and parts of Europe. Cultures in both the New and Old World used it to perfume and deodorize and repel insects. In Europe it has been and is used as a flavoring agent, especially in alcohol. It is used in traditional medicine and religious ceremonies on both sides of the ocean. And of course there is the Native and Gullah use of sweetgrass for basketry.

Hierochloe odorata contains both the benzopyrone 2H-chromen-2-one or coumarin, and various isomers of 3,7,11,15-Tetramethyl-2-hexadecen-1-ol or phytol.

Coumarin has a sweet vanilla like odor, and is sometimes found in artificial vanilla flavorings, despite being prohibited as a food additive in the US. In addition to sweet grass it is found in cassia cinnamon, black currents and strawberries. It is a precursor for the synthesis of various anticoagulants, including Warfarin. It is frequently confused with the anticoagulant toxins used in rat poisons called coumadins. Coumarin is mildly toxic, damaging the liver and kidneys.

Coumarin derivatives are old friends of mine from my laser jock days. (Rose waves to her bestest bud Coumarin 480.) They are used as gain media in tunable dye lasers. They are also used in blue OLEDs.

Phytol is derived by hydrolysis of chlorophyll. Phytol is used the synthesis of α-tocopherol, vitamin E, and phylloquinone, Vitamin K1. Phytol has a hay-like, floral odor.

Recent research has confirmed that the combination of phytol and coumarin has powerful mosquito repelling properties. A steam distilled oil isolate was as effective as DEET in laboratory tests.

ACS:Mosquito-repelling chemicals identified in traditional sweetgrass

Hierochloe odorata has low seed viability, with somewhere on the order of 25-30% germinating. It is frequently propagated from plugs. Please note when gathering this material that it has endangered status in PA, NC, and MD.

USDA - Hierochloe odorata
Broken Arrow likes this.

Last edited by OLChemist; 09-23-2018 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: Forgot part
Old 09-22-2018, 02:12 PM   #66
Signal Corps

Broken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 9,268.92
Thank you very much for this discussion lesson on sweet grass in chemical terms by you.

Where to subscribe additionally to pow wows in order to get live teaching or perhaps more accurate lecturing once a week? I hope your students once knew what they had by Dr. Rose#'s lectures and know today.
Broken Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-22-2018, 06:25 PM   #67
Tiny Tot Dancer

WomanfromOz is infamous around these partsWomanfromOz is infamous around these partsWomanfromOz is infamous around these partsWomanfromOz is infamous around these parts
Credits: 1,195.29
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
Mod hat on again.

I'll need to put my Educated 40something hat on also.

I'm sorry but I think you may have misinterpreted my usage of the word. I looked it up and it seems you think I was using a vulgar word I have never ever said to anyone.

The word tw&t is an Old English expression that is used it everyday British conversation. It is different in pronunciation than the body part word.. It is actually interchangeable with the world twit but doesn't mean that either.

It basically means annoying and it wasn't even said to you at all. I said it to a man. I often forget I'm speaking to Americans and that you aren't used to British English.

For the record, the body part meaning of that word is pronounced twhat and sounds like bot and it doesn't mean the c word. It is a legitimate word to describe body parts and is used in British language.It is never used as a swear word by British people to mean a body part.

That's internet meme culture possibly.

The version I used is pronounced to sound like the word hat. It's actually a polite way of saying you're unhappy with someone.

My apologies for the confusion or any offence incurred.

Last edited by WomanfromOz; 09-22-2018 at 10:15 PM.. Reason: Somebody altered my post??
WomanfromOz is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-2018, 12:50 AM   #68
small bead addict

Items ElephantPresentDolphinRainbow
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 37,718.52
Quote:
Originally Posted by WomanfromOz View Post
Again, Wardancer, state your blood Quantam.
Being from another country, you may not be aware that that is a rude demand. You basically came onto the board, saying you have native DNA. Those tests only show that-they don't break down the tribe/Nation. You claim Inuit, but no matter what blood is claimed, unless you have something that gives you roots, gives you a sense of family, all you have is DNA.

I know I am Cheyenne because my Grandfather told me stories when I was young. Stories that had been passed down. He told me history-the generations of family that were murdered at a place called Sand Creek, and good history, too, like both of my Grandmothers being known for making beautiful baskets. Those are the things that make me know that Cheyenne blood flows through my heart.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.
subeeds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-28-2018, 05:53 AM   #69
Tiny Tot Dancer

WomanfromOz is infamous around these partsWomanfromOz is infamous around these partsWomanfromOz is infamous around these partsWomanfromOz is infamous around these parts
Credits: 1,195.29
Quote:
Originally Posted by subeeds View Post
Being from another country, you may not be aware that that is a rude demand. You basically came onto the board, saying you have native DNA. Those tests only show that-they don't break down the tribe/Nation. You claim Inuit, but no matter what blood is claimed, unless you have something that gives you roots, gives you a sense of family, all you have is DNA.

I know I am Cheyenne because my Grandfather told me stories when I was young. Stories that had been passed down. He told me history-the generations of family that were murdered at a place called Sand Creek, and good history, too, like both of my Grandmothers being known for making beautiful baskets. Those are the things that make me know that Cheyenne blood flows through my heart.

With respect, it is not being rude. It is not rude to defend yourself. If you are going to question somebody else regarding their identity then be prepared to reveal yours.

If you thrown stones at me, eventually I will pick some up and throw them back.

The tests do tell you what different tribes you come from in some cases when it comes to Inuit and some Meso American Tribes. There is many tribes that won't show due to a lack of interest in certain tribes to get tested. I was shown I am Inuit due to haplogroups (markers) . I was matched up with my Inuit relatives via DNA web sites as they had tests also and we were shown to share DNA and I am in contact with them and we discuss our family connection and exchange photos etc and maintain the connection. They are Inuit and they live on traditional land in Canada and I have sent them some Australian foods and gifts to welcome them into my life.

I am loving learning about how they live. It is very comforting to see people who look like me, my mother and my grandfather and feel that kinship connection. They have both modern and traditional lives. They still hunt and fish for food but through having the internet they can share their lives with me as I share mine with them. They do have internet up there you know.

They are my family, the DNA was just the trail of crumbs that led me to them. I am happy for you that you know your roots without needing testing. Many people have separated families and I don't deny anyone re-connecting with their lost family members. I don't see how my connecting to my family hurts you or anyone else here.

I feel more at peace in my life since connecting with them and finding out who I really am and where I really come from.

Last edited by WomanfromOz; 09-28-2018 at 06:00 AM..
WomanfromOz is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links