Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > General Crafts Questions for those who dance Questions for those who dance

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2011, 01:14 PM   #1
I'm a bad influence on ME

Items GuitarPanda
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
trouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond repute
trouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond repute
Location: jaw-ja, you know, way down yonder in the land of cotton....
Credits: 26,775.11
Savings: 0.00
Questions for those who dance

I'd love to have your opinions, that would help me a great deal...

1) What works best for you, headbands with elastic or that tie together?

2) What sort of fasteners work best for you for gauntlets, arm bands, leggings, etc, ? (velcro, snaps, ties, hook and eyes?)

3) Do you find that the weight of the items is more of a problem or not?...do you think the lighter the item is, the better it is for it's purpose, or does the heavier item, ones with weight to them actually work better?

I really appreciate your help...

I'm concerned about the longevity of the fasteners for these items while maintaining the secure feeling while dancing...

"Daddy would have gotten us Uzis."

Subeeds Said:Want to borrow my .30/.30 or do you have your own weapon?

Pigheaded said: "How come noone ever wants to pull pork?"

Joe'sDad said:"Wait. I can do without sweet. Just make it black...like my heart!"
trouble is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2011, 02:26 PM   #2
remember to give thanks!

blacktail has a reputation beyond repute
blacktail has a reputation beyond reputeblacktail has a reputation beyond reputeblacktail has a reputation beyond reputeblacktail has a reputation beyond reputeblacktail has a reputation beyond reputeblacktail has a reputation beyond reputeblacktail has a reputation beyond reputeblacktail has a reputation beyond reputeblacktail has a reputation beyond reputeblacktail has a reputation beyond reputeblacktail has a reputation beyond reputeblacktail has a reputation beyond reputeblacktail has a reputation beyond reputeblacktail has a reputation beyond reputeblacktail has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,495.75
is this pertaining to the grass dance outfit you mentioned before??
Old 10-08-2011, 02:40 PM   #3

Items GuitarPanda
trouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond repute
trouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktail View Post
is this pertaining to the grass dance outfit you mentioned before??
Yes , mainly it is...and then in general as well for other items...just mainly want to know what "feels" most "secure" to the dancer?

Joe'sDad said:"Wait. I can do without sweet. Just make it black...like my heart!"
Old 10-08-2011, 08:11 PM   #4
tx straight dancer

rodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond repute
rodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 7,469.70
i prefer to have things tied on with good shoe strings having been a fancy dancer and straight dancer almost everything i wear is put on with shoe strings easy on and off makes quick to get dressed and undressed except my bells that have double leather straps

Last edited by rodond; 10-08-2011 at 08:13 PM..
rodond is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2011, 10:27 PM   #5

Items GuitarPanda
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodond View Post
i prefer to have things tied on with good shoe strings having been a fancy dancer and straight dancer almost everything i wear is put on with shoe strings easy on and off makes quick to get dressed and undressed except my bells that have double leather straps
Thank you for responding rodond, ...does the weight of the material seem to make any difference to you....like if its a really light weight fabric, or flimsy, does that make it less secure feeling to you as a dancer...I have been working with a light cotton, that is backed , a canvas type that is sturdier and backed, and also a light velveteen that is backed ...they have such different feels to them, I wondered if ya'll could give me an idea of what would be best....

Old 10-08-2011, 11:21 PM   #6
tx straight dancer

rodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond repute
never have grass dance i don't know but from what i have seen of grass dancers they wear pants not legging with the yarn /ribbon, aprons and a shirt with yarn ribbon on it the material heavy enough to support it, as to head band i used a heavy cotton to back the beadwork as well as the spenders and cluffs on my fancy outfit
Old 10-09-2011, 02:54 PM   #7

Items GuitarPanda
Quote:
never have grass dance i don't know but from what i have seen of grass dancers they wear pants not legging with the yarn /ribbon, aprons and a shirt with yarn ribbon on it the material heavy enough to support it,
YES!!..I'm making myself a check list of sorts to try to keep me from getting confused as to what parts go with what dance....(I don't want to get it wrong, and this is how I learn it...)

Quote:
as to head band i used a heavy cotton to back the beadwork as well as the spenders and cluffs on my fancy outfit
Okay...do you use an elastic attatchment on the head band or a tie string type one?....and the cuffs..are they sewn shut or do you use a velcro closure on them?.....or something else?...

REALLY APPRECIATE THE HELP!!!!

Old 10-09-2011, 05:07 PM   #8
tx straight dancer

head band i put eyelets on the ends and tie them on cuffs have several small eyelets on each side with short shoe strings tie on the inside just letting the the end hang down with the fringe my aprons also have a shoe string run through both of them and tied on the side don't like Velcro or elastic both will loosen up and let things move around after dancing a while
Old 10-09-2011, 05:14 PM   #9
tx straight dancer

head band i put eyelets on the ends and tie them on cuffs have several small eyelets on each side with short shoe strings tie on the inside just letting the the end hang down with the fringe my aprons also have a shoe string run through both of them and tied on the side don't like Velcro or elastic both will loosen up and let things more around after dancing a while
Old 10-09-2011, 05:30 PM   #10
Northern Trad Dancer

alumphfres has a reputation beyond reputealumphfres has a reputation beyond reputealumphfres has a reputation beyond repute
alumphfres has a reputation beyond reputealumphfres has a reputation beyond reputealumphfres has a reputation beyond reputealumphfres has a reputation beyond reputealumphfres has a reputation beyond reputealumphfres has a reputation beyond reputealumphfres has a reputation beyond reputealumphfres has a reputation beyond reputealumphfres has a reputation beyond reputealumphfres has a reputation beyond reputealumphfres has a reputation beyond reputealumphfres has a reputation beyond reputealumphfres has a reputation beyond reputealumphfres has a reputation beyond reputealumphfres has a reputation beyond reputealumphfres has a reputation beyond reputealumphfres has a reputation beyond reputealumphfres has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 19,662.11
1. No headbands - If you've got a good Warrior's braid, you won't need a headband.

2. Widest velcro I can use or find for the appropriate. Ankle bells need to be tied with thick leather ties.

3. Weight is no problem.

I've watched other dancers lose dance gear, feathers, bustles (yeah, it wasen't pretty and it cost his Dad a lot). Check it the day before you dance, and then visually check it every other dance, especially during competition. You'll enjoy yourself and not be so paranoid about the condition of your gear.
alumphfres is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-09-2011, 07:21 PM   #11

Items GuitarPanda
Quote:
Originally Posted by alumphfres View Post
2. Widest velcro I can use or find for the appropriate. Ankle bells need to be tied with thick leather ties.
OKAY...The ankle bells need the leather ties then...what is a normal circumfrence for them ..I was guessing about 9 inches around..does that sound too big?

Quote:
3. Weight is no problem.
Good to know

Quote:
I've watched other dancers lose dance gear, feathers, bustles (yeah, it wasen't pretty and it cost his Dad a lot). Check it the day before you dance, and then visually check it every other dance, especially during competition. You'll enjoy yourself and not be so paranoid about the condition of your gear.
Yeah, see that's what I'm hoping to avoid...that's why I appreciate ya'll help so much...I want to do it correctly...But I won't be the one dancing..(I'm just sewing n such...I'm a girl)

Thank ya'll again so much for the help and the information....

Old 10-09-2011, 07:24 PM   #12

Items GuitarPanda
Quote:
head band i put eyelets on the ends and tie them on
Do you use the hook and eye type eyelets?

Quote:
cuffs have several small eyelets on each side with short shoe strings tie on the inside just letting the the end hang down with the fringe
Okay,I see what you mean there...

Quote:
my aprons also have a shoe string run through both of them and tied on the side don't like Velcro or elastic both will loosen up and let things more around after dancing a while
What material do you think is best for the apron? A heavy weight or a lighter weight..and do you back them or just go with one layer?

Old 10-09-2011, 09:10 PM   #13
tx straight dancer

head band eyelet with just hole big enough to run a shoe string through the apron a cotton material heavy enough the be able to put either beadwork or applique on with the fringe
Old 10-10-2011, 01:18 AM   #14
its to cold up here

legalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond repute
legalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 599.56
I use buckles and straps for my bells, belts, and to hold up aprons. But, I spent three years workin' at a tack shop so I am pretty comfortable putting those together and have all the equipment.

When we make kids outfits we use plastic buckles (the click together type you see on backpacks) with adjustable cloth straps. Holds well and you can cinch 'em up once the kids are dressed to get everything good and tight. We do use some elastic on spec pieces so they are one size fits most, but I would not use them on something I could size to the person.

I am an anti-headband person. The two that I have made for grassdancers I made custom fit, so you had to almost force them on the head, no elastic, no ties.

Like Rodond I am a big fan of shoe laces, use em to tie my armbands, roach, otter, and any other miscellaneous pieces. We pack a couple extra pairs around with us just in case.

As for backing there is a trade off of movement vs. strength. I use muslin and canvas to back beadwork, but if it is ribbon applique or something with fringe that I want to move I back with a light cloth.
legalstraight is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2011, 01:39 AM   #15

Items GuitarPanda
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalstraight View Post
I use buckles and straps for my bells, belts, and to hold up aprons. But, I spent three years workin' at a tack shop so I am pretty comfortable putting those together and have all the equipment.
I didn't even think of buckles...that's an excellent idea to try...excellent!!

Quote:
When we make kids outfits we use plastic buckles (the click together type you see on backpacks) with adjustable cloth straps. Holds well and you can cinch 'em up once the kids are dressed to get everything good and tight.
YES!!..I see how that could work perfectly for children....

Quote:
We do use some elastic on spec pieces so they are one size fits most, but I would not use them on something I could size to the person.
UNDERSTOOD...

Quote:
I am an anti-headband person. The two that I have made for grassdancers I made custom fit, so you had to almost force them on the head, no elastic, no ties.

Like Rodond I am a big fan of shoe laces, use em to tie my armbands, roach, otter, and any other miscellaneous pieces. We pack a couple extra pairs around with us just in case.
Wait, why anti-headband?.......

Quote:
As for backing there is a trade off of movement vs. strength. I use muslin and canvas to back beadwork, but if it is ribbon applique or something with fringe that I want to move I back with a light cloth.
GOTCHA!!.. Thanks!!

Last edited by trouble; 10-10-2011 at 04:48 PM..
Sponsored Links