Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > General Crafts ribbon shirt ribbon shirt

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-14-2003, 12:26 AM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
beckie is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Question ribbon shirt

hello,
I live in Alaska and am Alaskan Native. One of my friends asked me to make him a ribbon shirt.
I don't have a clue. I'm creative enough to do this project but not sure about the meaning of the shirts and the ribbons. I want to make it correctly, besides making it fit and look good.
my friend is Chotaw, if that makes a difference.
thanks in advance. beckie
Old 07-21-2003, 11:45 AM   #2
Father of Tiny Tot Dancer

scottlollar has a reputation beyond reputescottlollar has a reputation beyond reputescottlollar has a reputation beyond reputescottlollar has a reputation beyond reputescottlollar has a reputation beyond reputescottlollar has a reputation beyond reputescottlollar has a reputation beyond reputescottlollar has a reputation beyond reputescottlollar has a reputation beyond reputescottlollar has a reputation beyond reputescottlollar has a reputation beyond reputescottlollar has a reputation beyond reputescottlollar has a reputation beyond reputescottlollar has a reputation beyond reputescottlollar has a reputation beyond reputescottlollar has a reputation beyond reputescottlollar has a reputation beyond reputescottlollar has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 160.00
Savings: 1.00
To be honest, I don't recall there being a specific meaing to the shirts. I know they are worn in a variety of events. But, I don't think there is a meaning. I would discuss colors with him, so you make sure it matches the outfit, or some part of it at least. I myself, prefer more traditional type of material, like calico. But, I have seen some simply beautiful shirts out there that were made with sequin-material and more modern materials. Crazy Crow has some patterns, but some of them are Crazy, or you have to be crazy to understand them, at least. Most shirts I've seen are pull-over style shirts that have an open collar. If the shirt is for a dancer who wears breastplates or other items that hang from his neck, I would suggest having an actual collar on the shirt(to protect the neck). some have gathered cuffs on the sleevs, others are more like a modern dress-shirt with a simple cuff. Many have ribbon running the length of the sleeve, others just have the ribbon across the chest and back. Some have 4-6" ribbon 'drops' that hang from the ribbon across the chest or back, but not all do.
This is one of those items 'everyone' wears, but we don't see a lot of pictures of.

Scott
scottlollar is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-21-2003, 12:05 PM   #3
Pow Wow Visitor

thanks

thank you for your response. I'll be trying to make one soon. We did discuss color, his eyes are a bueatiful blue and I wanted to play off the color of his eyes. We discussed the four directions as the basics but for the majority of the color I would make the shirt out of black with a dark turquiose accent. then the ribbons with tiny red, yellow, and white ribbons. the white is alternating white solid and transparent. the read and yellow are 1/8th of an inch. very striking against the strong black and blue.
I've seen prints with chevons and wondered if that would be okay. of course the colors don't match the scheme I just described but oh well.
thanks again. perhaps I will post the shirt after it is done. beckie
Old 07-21-2003, 03:38 PM   #4
FANMAKR

spottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond repute
spottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 819.61
Good luck Beckie!!! We've made 2 so far from the green river patterns and are just starting to get the hang of making them. The first one went into the trash:( The second looked a lot better. We're getting ready to start a third, know what they say 3rd time is the charm!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

https://www.facebook.com/SpottedeagleFans
spottedeagle is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-21-2003, 07:33 PM   #5
Pow Wow Visitor

thanks for the encouragement

I'm excited about it. I already messed up the first one. Figured I better get some advice before I started cutting. I feel better, thanks again. beckie
Old 07-22-2003, 11:22 AM   #6
Senior Dancer

Items Present
thizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond repute
thizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond reputethizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond reputethizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond reputethizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond reputethizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond reputethizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond reputethizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond reputethizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond reputethizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond reputethizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond reputethizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond reputethizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond reputethizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond reputethizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond reputethizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 4,499.29
At the walmart stores, they have simplistic patterns for shirts that are very easy to use and the directions are not too hard. Hope this helps and good luck with your ribbon shirt.
thizgirlpowwows is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-22-2003, 12:06 PM   #7
Pow Wow Visitor

wouldn't ya know

fairbanks lost it's k-mart, and walmart won't open up until sometime this winter.
will have to look when I go to anchortown. thanks beckie
Old 07-22-2003, 12:07 PM   #8
Junior Dancer

waleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 614.04
Here's a good example of ribbon shirt w/ appliqued design.
Attached Thumbnails
ribnshirt.jpg  
waleli is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-22-2003, 12:13 PM   #9
Pow Wow Visitor

wow
feeling out of my league here now.
but i will rise to the occastion. looking at your ribbon shirt I got excited to start cutting. I learned last time to THINK first.
appliqued design is something I haven't considered, but now am considering it.
perhaps on large vee shape in the front and back. not too complicated but nice to look at.
maybe just make the simple shirt first THEN
Old 07-22-2003, 12:16 PM   #10
Pow Wow Visitor

thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by waleli
Here's a good example of ribbon shirt w/ appliqued design.
thanks for sending the picture. it's really kwel. i'm so excited now. thanks again. beckie :D
Old 07-22-2003, 12:18 PM   #11
Junior Dancer

waleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond reputewaleli has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 614.04
Hope the picture helps, just gives an idea of what you can do ! Play around w/ designs and colors - you'll come up w/ something nice !!!:)
waleli is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-2003, 09:13 PM   #12
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Beckie... email me before you get to anchorage and let me know when you will be here... I can help you buying the stuff you need for a ribbon shirt and I would be happy to help find Black Elk to get a pattern from... btw... is that Buzz wanting a shirt?
Old 07-24-2003, 01:02 PM   #13
FANMAKR

spottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond repute
spottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome back Blackbear!!!!!!!!!!

How was your vacation?????

Old 07-24-2003, 07:45 PM   #14
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
It was KICKASS!!! I put a few pics in the gallery!
Old 07-25-2003, 03:26 AM   #15
Pow Wow Visitor

turtleshaker is an unknown quantity at this point
Any questions you have just emai me i make ribbon shirts for a living would be happy to help. And I also use the Simplicity pattern. It is really easy.
Angela
turtleshaker is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-27-2003, 12:17 PM   #16
FANMAKR

We've tried making ribbon shirts using the Missouri River Patterns and although we are getting betting, they aren't all that easy. Do you know what the pattern number is for the Simplicity Pattern. We figure maybe we'll try to find it and see if it is easier to use.

Thanks
Joe

Old 07-27-2003, 12:27 PM   #17
Pow Wow Visitor

I ain't tellin'

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackbear
Beckie... email me before you get to anchorage and let me know when you will be here... I can help you buying the stuff you need for a ribbon shirt and I would be happy to help find Black Elk to get a pattern from... btw... is that Buzz wanting a shirt?
you just gonna have to wait to see who's wearing it. besides, linda would make one for him.
just messing with ya.
Old 07-27-2003, 07:18 PM   #18
Honey Connoissuer

LOL OK... so is the midnight sun powwow still going on and if so you gonna be there?
Old 07-27-2003, 08:12 PM   #19
Pow Wow Visitor

naw

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackbear
LOL OK... so is the midnight sun powwow still going on and if so you gonna be there?
can't gotta baby sit the fish in the smokehouse. got kings, reds, and cod in the smoke house now. it's looking good too.
is that one in tanacross or kenai?
Old 07-28-2003, 01:50 AM   #20
Honey Connoissuer

No that one is in fairbanks and is usually just before state fair in August.. like the second weekend of august or somethign like that. It's the one thrown by the dude that calls himself standing bear... Don something or other. MMMMMMMMMMMmm smoke house full of fish.... where do you live??? :Naughty hehehe