Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > General Crafts Roach Spreader help please Roach Spreader help please

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-15-2008, 02:01 AM   #1
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
DancersMom is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Question Roach Spreader help please

Hi out there in computer land I would like to know what roach spreaders are made of. I finaly have the rest done and trying to get it done for tomorrow( stupid I know ) lol thanks for any help you can give me
DancersMom is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-15-2008, 06:54 AM   #2
FANMAKR

spottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond repute
spottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 819.61
Savings: 1.00
Most of us just use a piece of thick leather, like belt leather. Unless you are going to use a premade of of silver, bone, resin, etc.

For mine I layed my roach on a piece of grocery bag, traced around the base of the roach (Just the front and a little 12" the sides). Then I cut out the shopping bag, cutting it a little smaller than my lines. I layed the cut out part on the inside of the roach where the spreader will go, making sure it didn't touch any of the hair. If it did, I trimmed it down a little more. I transfered my pattern to the leather and cut it out, Making sure to also mark the hole in the base of the roach.

https://www.facebook.com/SpottedeagleFans
spottedeagle is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-26-2008, 04:59 PM   #3
remember to give thanks!

blacktail has a reputation beyond repute
blacktail has a reputation beyond reputeblacktail has a reputation beyond reputeblacktail has a reputation beyond reputeblacktail has a reputation beyond reputeblacktail has a reputation beyond reputeblacktail has a reputation beyond reputeblacktail has a reputation beyond reputeblacktail has a reputation beyond reputeblacktail has a reputation beyond reputeblacktail has a reputation beyond reputeblacktail has a reputation beyond reputeblacktail has a reputation beyond reputeblacktail has a reputation beyond reputeblacktail has a reputation beyond reputeblacktail has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,495.75
these aren't really my thing, but ain't that the point of spreaders, to spread the hair?
Old 05-26-2008, 05:14 PM   #4
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 127,514.31
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktail View Post
these aren't really my thing, but ain't that the point of spreaders, to spread the hair?
Not really. A good roachmaker will tie the hair so it lays out and has a good bounce. No need for the spreader to have to damage the hair.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-26-2008, 05:25 PM   #5
is waiting ....

chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 374.00
if a roach spreader isnt used ... how do the head feathers/roach stay on?

most of the roach spreaders i've seen the feathers or rockers or plumes .. are attached to the spreader. and the strings or other method of attachment, are attached to the spreader, to attach it the head ... hmmm ... im confused LOL
Old 05-26-2008, 05:53 PM   #6
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 127,514.31
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazziff View Post

most of the roach spreaders i've seen the feathers or rockers or plumes .. are attached to the spreader. and the strings or other method of attachment, are attached to the spreader, to attach it the head ... hmmm ... im confused LOL
This is right chazziff. Not to spread the hair out.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-26-2008, 06:05 PM   #7
is waiting ....

chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 374.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Dad View Post
This is right chazziff. Not to spread the hair out.
oh i was confused there for a sec LOL ... and most of the roach spreaders i've seen dont even touch the hair of the roach either .... so im thinking the name roach spreader is like ... wrong LOL
Old 05-26-2008, 06:09 PM   #8
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 38,634.63
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazziff View Post

I am not sure why its called a roach spreader really...
Although I have seen the Crow spread there roaches straight out almost flatten it
Its to attach the sockets for your feathers

Old style you pull a scalp lock up through the center hole and you use a roach pin to attach it

I use two shoe strings that are round and attach to the top and base of the roach through my spreader which has the socket for the feather attached to it

This is a very simple roach spreader to make out of leather and coat hangers

This is imatation bone but this was how old style look like, notice the curve at the front not very big and does not spread the roach

This a fatter roach spreader that are more common to the North
this picture also shows the roach pin I was talking about where you make a scalp lock and then pin it use the pin

Last edited by Josiah; 05-26-2008 at 06:24 PM..
Josiah is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-24-2009, 06:15 AM   #9
Grass Dancer

anishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond repute
anishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond reputeanishinabealltheway has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,258.05
Question about attaching a spreader to the roach base.

I just received an amazing new roach that I bought from Powwowbum49. In the past I've always made my own roach or someone in the family made it. When sewing the base together, I would leave gaps for the straps on my spreader to go through for a secure fit. I find that this way makes a roach solid as a rock and minimizes the chance that your feathers will go flying across the arena.

My problem is that my new roach only has one hole in the top/center. Any suggestions on how to attach a spreader to a base like that. I have short hair so a roach pin will never hold it. The base has an amazing pattern on it so I will not punch any holes in it. I haven't made the spreader yet so I could change the design to work with this type of roach I'm just at a loss for ideas.

Any suggestions on how to modify the spreader or roach would be appreciated.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:42 AM   #10
its to cold up here

legalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond repute
legalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 599.56
2 things;
First (and I really feel like i need diagrams for this one) you can run a shoelace, thong, elastic, whatever you use, through that center hole- you just have to twist it around the socket of your spreader (it goes up and through in half, forming a loop then you twist the loop around the socket and pull everything tight from the bottom- if you want pictures I might be able to give you some or someone else can explain better)
Second- on the back/bottom of your spreader put two holes next to each other )like a snakebite) you can run thong/elastic/shoelace through there and then between the weave on the roach base (might have to use a knitting needle or crochet hook the first time) this doesnt put a permanent hole there, and it is covered by your spreader anyways
legalstraight is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links