Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > General Crafts Smoked hide?? Smoked hide??

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-22-2002, 04:26 PM   #1
Official Hickie Checker

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
MaggieB has a reputation beyond reputeMaggieB has a reputation beyond reputeMaggieB has a reputation beyond reputeMaggieB has a reputation beyond reputeMaggieB has a reputation beyond reputeMaggieB has a reputation beyond reputeMaggieB has a reputation beyond reputeMaggieB has a reputation beyond reputeMaggieB has a reputation beyond reputeMaggieB has a reputation beyond reputeMaggieB has a reputation beyond reputeMaggieB has a reputation beyond reputeMaggieB has a reputation beyond reputeMaggieB has a reputation beyond reputeMaggieB has a reputation beyond reputeMaggieB has a reputation beyond reputeMaggieB has a reputation beyond reputeMaggieB has a reputation beyond reputeMaggieB has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Smoked hide??

Okay my cousin lived in washington for a minute. While she was there she got this leather that was so soft and boy you can get any needle through it. we treat it like gold but now we don't have anymore. Can anyone help us out??
she says it is smoked hide. or something like that.
it feels like a soft plush toy.
HELP!!
MaggieB is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-22-2002, 05:31 PM   #2
Tiny Tot Dancer

Tara is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile

sounds like smoked brain tanned hide (as opposed to commercial hides) .. lots of people sell it, just the good stuff goes for upwards of 10 bucks a square foot (worth it for the time that goes into scraping, braining and smoking it)

eidnes furs in idaho has good prices, try them?

Tara
Tara is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-22-2002, 05:49 PM   #3
Tiny Tot Dancer

Sahnish has a reputation beyond reputeSahnish has a reputation beyond reputeSahnish has a reputation beyond reputeSahnish has a reputation beyond reputeSahnish has a reputation beyond reputeSahnish has a reputation beyond reputeSahnish has a reputation beyond reputeSahnish has a reputation beyond reputeSahnish has a reputation beyond reputeSahnish has a reputation beyond reputeSahnish has a reputation beyond reputeSahnish has a reputation beyond reputeSahnish has a reputation beyond reputeSahnish has a reputation beyond reputeSahnish has a reputation beyond reputeSahnish has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,997.42
Cool

Smoked moose hide. Get a canadian connection. It's the moose hide that you can stick any needle right through.

"There is nothing more dangerous than ignorance in action."
Sahnish is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-14-2002, 01:17 AM   #4
cherosage

CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,553.63
Savings: 1.00
I agree I believe you want Moose hide. I got some when I was stationed in Fairbanks. An Athabaskan lady gave me a piece and it was the greatest thing I too have ever beaded on.

Your uncle knows some canadians and maybe he could help.
Old 12-14-2002, 06:13 AM   #5
Tiny Tot Dancer

Iron Wood is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree that the moose hide is great to work with, but it also depends on what you want to make out of it. Any braintanned hide is going to be far better than a commercially tanned hide. I tan my own as the cost , as mentioned, is a little prohibitive. Eidnes is a great place for the moose. They usually have one of the better selections to choose from. They have a website you can go to also.
If you are looking for deer or elk, I would recommend going to the website "braintan.com". It is set up for people interested in tanning, but also has people selling hides on there.
Curtis
Iron Wood is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-19-2002, 12:35 AM   #6
Pow Wow Visitor

waksupi is an unknown quantity at this point
brain tan

If you should ever get some smoked brain tan that doesn't have as much loft as you would like, try this. Put in a washing machine with some Irory snow on the cold wash cycle. When the rinse cycle starts, add some Downy Fabric Softener. It doen't take much. Then spread the hide out on the floor or something flat, and work out any serious wrinkles. Then hang up to dry. When it is dry, rub it between your hands for a few minutes, and it will be real nice to work with.