PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   General Crafts (http://forums.powwows.com/f21/)
-   -   Some eye candy (http://forums.powwows.com/f21/some-eye-candy-72064/)

OLChemist 09-08-2020 10:27 AM

Some eye candy

Horn carving and inlay by Kevin and Valerie Pourier:

Spoons and cups

(BA, you may recognize the name from all your reading about the old days. He is a descendant of the interpreter Big Bat Pourier.

All this talk of Big Bat's and now I'm craving a bathtub sized soda, LOL.)

OLChemist 09-08-2020 10:50 AM

Jewlery by Jhon Goes In Center:

Jewelry

I hope this works. When I tried to find this page with Goggle, the link directed to a offshore pharmacy... This seems clean.

I wish the pictures were better. They don't really do justice to the pieces.

Broken Arrow 09-08-2020 12:05 PM

The eagle and arrow earrings:star:

OLChemist 09-08-2020 01:27 PM

Ben Nighthorse jewelry:

Ben Nighthorse at Sorel Sky

Broken Arrow 09-08-2020 03:17 PM

Very nice horses and silver art.

OLChemist 09-10-2020 12:15 PM

Jewelry by Mitchell Zephier, Sr:

Lakota Visions Etsy Store

For me this is a bit of a blast from the past, as it were. When I was an undergrad he was one of the rare jewelers expanding on in the northern plains metalworking tradition. His work evolved from the stamping and rocker engraving on german silver that was done to create or modify german silver jewelry. He uses a lot of chip inlay. I have a lot respect for him and really admire his technique. He gets great results with a difficult metal.

FYI --

German silver and brass are common metals to start jewelry students out with, because they are cheap and hard to melt. Rarely do you get a novice reducing a piece of brass or german silver to a puddle. But they are hard to solder. The silver alloys that are used for sterling don't wet the surfaces well. There are brazing alloys specifically for the metal but they can have issues. These metals feel gummy when you saw them and clog file and sandpaper more than sterling. Ultimately, people usually move to sterling despite the cost, because it is just easier to work with. It takes more skill to produce comparable results with german silver or brass.

Broken Arrow 09-10-2020 01:44 PM

There is a craddleboard and a mother child pendant and the tepee night and morning star earrings.

LOL, there is an autumated translation into German. Some are ok, most are well. automated.

The images are thankfully not affected.

OLChemist 09-23-2020 02:51 PM

My purpose in listing these links was to highlight some work I considered nice and/or unusual. I guess I should have done the disclaimer thing. So I will now:

I've never purchased from any of these websites. I know nothing about them. I'm not endorsing them. Do some research and use your judgement when considering a purchase.