Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > General Crafts What crafting/ sewing lessons have you learned the hard way? What crafting/ sewing lessons have you learned the hard way?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2006, 12:03 PM   #1
Teen Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
momme is just really nice
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 1.00
Question What crafting/ sewing lessons have you learned the hard way?

I haven't been sewing long and i'm mostly just kind of figuring it out as I go along, and was just wondering what are the things you wish you knew but had to learn the hard way?

I know something minor for me lately is to check my bobbin before doing a longer stretch of satin or zig zag. I always think i'll have enough but keep running out and having to reload and then it doesn't look quite right.

Probably will come up with more, that i keep doing. but lets share our "mistakes" and maybe we can learn from each other.

Sarah

Last edited by momme; 02-03-2006 at 12:08 PM.. Reason: too tired forgot the post
momme is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-03-2006, 12:46 PM   #2
is waiting ....

chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 374.00
measure twice cut once ...
Old 02-03-2006, 04:15 PM   #3
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,056.53
Savings: 0.00
I was going to say that one!!!

Another is to NEVER use a permanent marker to mark ANYTHING.

Another is to watch out when you get your sewing machine serviced. I thought mine would be just fine, but it ended up spraying oil all over my satin!!!
Old 02-16-2006, 08:04 PM   #4
Some Kinda Monster

Str8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond reputeStr8Dancer49 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 919.64
KEEP YOUR FINGERS AWAY FROM THE SEWING MACHINE'S NEEDLE!

I used to work at an embroidery shop, running big-a$$ industrial embroidery machines at about 600 RPM + (thats over 10 stitches per second!)..... well, I went to grab what I thought was a scrap of thread before it got sewed down permanently. Thought I'd be real quick and just slide it outta the way since the machine was going full bore (time is money - didn't wanna stop the machine!), but it was still connected to the garment, so it didn't slide.... and

BAM! BAM!

needle goes through my middle finger twice! @ over 600 rpm no less..... hurt like a mudderfugger..... especially where the presser foot smashed my finger w/ about 200 lbs of pressure.

I was lucky - it missed the bone & fingernail - just got nothing but flesh, so the needle went right through, thread and all.

HOWEVER, my co-worker once tried to do the same thing, and got his thumb nailed by the machine. Needle glanced off the bone and hit the INSIDE of his thubnail, where it broke off in two tiny little pieces..... we could literally see the two pieces THROUGH his nail. Took over two years for the pieces to grow out -basically getting slowly dragged through the flesh by the friction of the growing nail itself, till the needle pieces finally gew out the end.

How's that for a lesson learned the hard way?!
Old 02-16-2006, 11:30 PM   #5
Gotz ta be me!

Singing Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond repute
Singing Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond repute
OMFreakinG MAN!!!! I'm still cringing.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:11 PM   #6
Teen Dancer

momme is just really nice
Use a Sharpie to make patterns to Pellon

Ok this one I just figured out today and am pretty jazzed, but it's so simple I'm not happy that I've been doing it the hard way for way too long.
I like getting the multi-size patterns (especially when the are 3 or 4 bucks instead of 20) but we transfer the size we need to pellon (heavy interfacing) and save the paper pattern to use the other sizes or when we are done we can give away intact patterns to others. I was taught to use transfer paper and a tracing wheel to do this, so that's what i've been doing. Right now our wheel is MIA so I was punting, and thought the paper is so thin maybe a marker would bleed through enough to trace later. It works better than I could have inmagined. I used a bright colored Sharpie and the line come through strong and solid. Was much easier.
Hope that helps, heck I may be the only one who does patterns this way but saves money and time too.
Sarah
momme is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-05-2006, 07:11 PM   #7
Fat Singer

billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
use a thimble!

as for the machine, me and my bro were like 10yo and were messing with the sewing machine. we were running a long strip of fabric pretending it was a car. vroom vroom vrooooooooooo thump!

(*&%^(&*%_)*

right into his fingernail and it stopped. had to pull it out manually.
billyjoejimbob is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-06-2006, 05:41 AM   #8
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Lemme hear ya say..........................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8Dancer49
HOWEVER, my co-worker once tried to do the same thing, and got his thumb nailed by the machine. Needle glanced off the bone and hit the INSIDE of his thubnail, where it broke off in two tiny little pieces..... we could literally see the two pieces THROUGH his nail. Took over two years for the pieces to grow out -basically getting slowly dragged through the flesh by the friction of the growing nail itself, till the needle pieces finally gew out the end.

How's that for a lesson learned the hard way?!
OUCH!!!!!!

I sliced off the end of my thumb once in a meat slicer... and THAT sounds wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more painful!
Old 06-04-2010, 12:56 AM   #9
Tiny Tot Dancer

LuvDuv has a reputation beyond reputeLuvDuv has a reputation beyond reputeLuvDuv has a reputation beyond reputeLuvDuv has a reputation beyond reputeLuvDuv has a reputation beyond reputeLuvDuv has a reputation beyond reputeLuvDuv has a reputation beyond reputeLuvDuv has a reputation beyond reputeLuvDuv has a reputation beyond reputeLuvDuv has a reputation beyond reputeLuvDuv has a reputation beyond reputeLuvDuv has a reputation beyond reputeLuvDuv has a reputation beyond reputeLuvDuv has a reputation beyond reputeLuvDuv has a reputation beyond reputeLuvDuv has a reputation beyond reputeLuvDuv has a reputation beyond reputeLuvDuv has a reputation beyond reputeLuvDuv has a reputation beyond reputeLuvDuv has a reputation beyond repute
Needlepoint ( lots of fun, I jokes! ). Stabbing my finners to the point where they litterly got callous's. I wont touch a machine, cause when I was lil girl I saw my big sis get her finners ran over. Therefore I'm scared of the things.
LuvDuv is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2012, 10:20 PM   #10
Berry Picker

Berry Picker has a reputation beyond reputeBerry Picker has a reputation beyond reputeBerry Picker has a reputation beyond reputeBerry Picker has a reputation beyond reputeBerry Picker has a reputation beyond reputeBerry Picker has a reputation beyond reputeBerry Picker has a reputation beyond reputeBerry Picker has a reputation beyond reputeBerry Picker has a reputation beyond reputeBerry Picker has a reputation beyond reputeBerry Picker has a reputation beyond reputeBerry Picker has a reputation beyond reputeBerry Picker has a reputation beyond reputeBerry Picker has a reputation beyond reputeBerry Picker has a reputation beyond reputeBerry Picker has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,244.31
Tip for knowing how your bobin thread is doing:
Wind two bobbins with the thread you are going to use,
Use one bobin up top for your needle thread,
Use the other bobin down under for the bobin thread.
Watch the bobin up top.
if it runs out, so does your bobin thread down under.

What crafting/sewing lesson I learned the hard way?
An old treadle operated machine doesnt do cut and fold ribbon work well. The presser foot on my Singer 66 just bullies my ribbons around and gets hung up on the folds. I wish I could catch snags that easily.
Berry Picker is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2012, 04:36 AM   #11
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
if the material has a chance of shrinking..wash and dry it first.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:16 AM   #12
Ready to dance

wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
I have a BUNCH of bobbins and always wind extras. I have a friend that buys the pre-wound bobbins and swears by them. They look like the little bobbins of Nymo, with cardboard sides and a cardboard core. So you peel off the cardboard sides and pop them in your bobbin holder.

Someday, I'm going to get my Singer fixed that has the "wind in place" bobbin. That was the greatest invention, but hard to find on other machines nowadays.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #13
3 down and 1 to go! lol

Items SwordPresentPresent
Chevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond repute
Chevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond reputeChevy_truckin_NDN has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 9,926.62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbear View Post
if the material has a chance of shrinking..wash and dry it first.

I learned that one too...sighs. I was sewing a shawl for my daughter, and my youngest son spilled red kool aid on it! I was like GAH!!! I ran it under cold water then smeared some detergent into it and threw it in the wash....it shrunk...!! but better to find out now instead of after I fringed the whole thing.

"Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Dogs of War..."
Chevy_truckin_NDN is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #14
Ready to dance

Another good tip to remember:

Make sure you have enough beads in every color BEFORE you start a big project!! Some colors are impossible to match!

Session 1 Game 3 Number 12

B 12 Under the "B" Twelve
Old 04-03-2012, 11:01 AM   #15
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantRainbowDevilDevil
Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 32,425.79
That is so true about the beads! been there done that lol.