Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > General Crafts Whitening Feathers Whitening Feathers

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 02:03 AM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Pani/Dine' has a reputation beyond reputePani/Dine' has a reputation beyond reputePani/Dine' has a reputation beyond reputePani/Dine' has a reputation beyond reputePani/Dine' has a reputation beyond reputePani/Dine' has a reputation beyond reputePani/Dine' has a reputation beyond reputePani/Dine' has a reputation beyond reputePani/Dine' has a reputation beyond reputePani/Dine' has a reputation beyond reputePani/Dine' has a reputation beyond reputePani/Dine' has a reputation beyond reputePani/Dine' has a reputation beyond reputePani/Dine' has a reputation beyond reputePani/Dine' has a reputation beyond reputePani/Dine' has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 368.22
Savings: 0.00
Whitening Feathers

I need some help, I got some bald eagle tail feathers and they had a lot of bird poop on them. I cleaned them up as best I could with woolite. It got them clean but it could only do so much, now they have a real off white color to them and not the brite white like I see fans are. I need help to clean feathers better and get my white feathers whiter. Thanks.
Pani/Dine' is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2012, 09:55 AM   #2
The bear is out!

Items DevilTree
Tibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond repute
Tibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,915.95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pani/Dine' View Post
I need some help, I got some bald eagle tail feathers and they had a lot of bird poop on them. I cleaned them up as best I could with woolite. It got them clean but it could only do so much, now they have a real off white color to them and not the brite white like I see fans are. I need help to clean feathers better and get my white feathers whiter. Thanks.
Woollite is wrong for real feathers to remove stains,,, sorry, but the only thing to clean feathers properly is a dish soap like dawn or palmolive. Nothing else works to do that.
Gently rub the feathers from the quill tip downwards to the end. One direction only so you do not damage the feathers. Then after working the soap in let it sit for a spell! Then hold the fat end of the quill upside down in the sink while letting the water run down and off the feather. Then if you want glossy effect use a weeee bit of conditioner and rub in.. let sit for about 10 minutes then rinse off and let it sit on a paper towel to drip dry, then fluff the feather back to life by gently preening it from quill to tip in gentle motions. Never against the grain of the feathers.... The droppings have acids in it that are deeper in strenght may not go out with woolite but dawn will go to that and grab it. Then the conditioner will replace the oils that the feathers get from the bird.

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
Stand behind our troops or stand IN FRONT of them.
Tibiki Kinew is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2012, 03:16 PM   #3
remember to give thanks!

blacktail has a reputation beyond repute
blacktail has a reputation beyond reputeblacktail has a reputation beyond reputeblacktail has a reputation beyond reputeblacktail has a reputation beyond reputeblacktail has a reputation beyond reputeblacktail has a reputation beyond reputeblacktail has a reputation beyond reputeblacktail has a reputation beyond reputeblacktail has a reputation beyond reputeblacktail has a reputation beyond reputeblacktail has a reputation beyond reputeblacktail has a reputation beyond reputeblacktail has a reputation beyond reputeblacktail has a reputation beyond reputeblacktail has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,495.75
yeah, hate to say it bud but you probably ruined your feathers. i clean my feathers with dish detergent also. if it's got poop, i let it soak for a few hours, then gently push it off with a tooth brush. after a rinse in clean water, i sandwich the feathers in a towel to get most of the water out and using a hair dryer, blow them dry. this takes some practice because you can ruin the webbing in the feather very easily. you could also tie a leather thong on the quill and hang them outside on a windy day to dry that way.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:22 PM   #4
FANMAKR

spottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond repute
spottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 819.61
Savings: 1.00
I disagree, I have used woolite and I have used dawn, both work equally as well. Woolite is a mild detergent just like Dawn dishsoap.

Blacktail gives some good tips on how to clean them

https://www.facebook.com/SpottedeagleFans
spottedeagle is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2012, 06:47 PM   #5
remember to give thanks!

blacktail has a reputation beyond repute
blacktail has a reputation beyond reputeblacktail has a reputation beyond reputeblacktail has a reputation beyond reputeblacktail has a reputation beyond reputeblacktail has a reputation beyond reputeblacktail has a reputation beyond reputeblacktail has a reputation beyond reputeblacktail has a reputation beyond reputeblacktail has a reputation beyond reputeblacktail has a reputation beyond reputeblacktail has a reputation beyond reputeblacktail has a reputation beyond reputeblacktail has a reputation beyond reputeblacktail has a reputation beyond reputeblacktail has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,495.75
thanks spottedeagle. so why did the feathers turn off white??