Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree77Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > General Crafts Women's Back Barrette with Straight Feather Women's Back Barrette with Straight Feather

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-21-2015, 08:18 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Wicahpi Sina Win is off the scaleWicahpi Sina Win is off the scaleWicahpi Sina Win is off the scaleWicahpi Sina Win is off the scaleWicahpi Sina Win is off the scaleWicahpi Sina Win is off the scaleWicahpi Sina Win is off the scaleWicahpi Sina Win is off the scaleWicahpi Sina Win is off the scaleWicahpi Sina Win is off the scaleWicahpi Sina Win is off the scaleWicahpi Sina Win is off the scale
Credits: 133.00
Savings: 0.00
Women's Back Barrette with Straight Feather

Hello all, I hope this finds you well. I'm wondering how best to attach my straight feather to the back of my barrette and what I should use to attach it to my hair. Right now I'm using a a clip barrette and it's hard to put in and seems kind of floppy. :/ Any and all replies are welcome! Pilamayaye! Thank you!
LISA IRONMAKER and gilisi like this.
Wicahpi Sina Win is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-28-2015, 01:53 AM   #2
Pow Wow Committee

gilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond repute
gilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 48,962.13
Anybody got an answer fer this gurl??? @wyo_rose @Eagle Plumes @OLChemist @windanncer @ac_miss @LISA IRONMAKER @*Brown Eyed Gurl* ??

"Show me somethin"

Last edited by gilisi; 05-28-2015 at 02:00 AM..
gilisi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-28-2015, 03:02 AM   #3
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 42,689.58
Savings: 1.00
I have a staple gun !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
wardancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-28-2015, 09:05 AM   #4
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 92,816.99
I always thought you cut a slit on the top and one on the bottom of your barrette backing. Then you slid the quill of the feather in there. When you closed the clasp on the barrette, the pressure would keep it straight. That is what I would do for my daughter when she was little. I believe Senora Lynch told me to do it that way.
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-28-2015, 09:08 AM   #5
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Or u can use a stape gun. Hahaaa jks
Old 05-28-2015, 09:51 AM   #6
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 39,911.07
Those french style barrette clips can be really floppy if you don't have a *lot* of hair. I always put a pocket and a small tie in the ones I make. But they are really accident prone if you have thin hair or the barrette is heavy.

I've seen ladies use two of those smaller Goody metal barrettes to fasten the feather firmly to the head. They clipped on near the top and bottom of the quill. Then they covered those with the beaded barrette.

One caveat: the quill on those feathers was reinforced with wood or wire, to keep it from crimping. Lengthening the quill can help with the floppy. Sometimes you just don't have enough contact area between the feather and you/barrette.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-28-2015, 10:37 AM   #7
Granny:)

Items ElephantPresentRainbow
*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute
*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute
Location: 20 mins into Canada from the Sumas WA Border. Im practically an American
Credits: 12,610.76
my advice is.....don't eat the yellow snow....always wear a bra...think before u speak and u can never have enough bottles of nail polish or shoes:)

*Kalilsha*

If the sun refused to shine, I would still be loving u
When mountains crumble to the sea, there will still be u an me..

*Brown Eyed Gurl* is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-28-2015, 10:39 AM   #8

*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute
*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute
Location: 20 mins into Canada from the Sumas WA Border. Im practically an American
P.S. I know nothing of proper regalia, beading or feathers, and I can barely spell barrette..

*Kalilsha*

Old 05-28-2015, 10:51 AM   #9
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Brown Eyed Gurl* View Post
my advice is.....don't eat the yellow snow....always wear a bra...think before u speak and u can never have enough bottles of nail polish or shoes:)
As always , full of good advice......well , full of sumthin !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 05-28-2015, 10:53 AM   #10

its usually pizza...if not that then doughnuts. lol truth.

*Kalilsha*

Old 05-28-2015, 12:47 PM   #11
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Bras are so confining. I take mine off as soon as I get home...and eat a doughnut...or something.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:06 PM   #12
Pow Wow Committee

Items DollElephantDolphin
LISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond repute
LISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 18,129.09
Savings: 2.03
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Dad View Post
I always thought you cut a slit on the top and one on the bottom of your barrette backing. Then you slid the quill of the feather in there. When you closed the clasp on the barrette, the pressure would keep it straight. That is what I would do for my daughter when she was little. I believe Senora Lynch told me to do it that way.
I would suggest using Joe's Dad's advice would make the feather more secure.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:06 PM   #13
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
Quote:
Originally Posted by LISA IRONMAKER View Post
I would suggest using Joe's Dad's advice would make the feather more secure.
Taking off a bra and eating a doughnut ???

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 05-29-2015, 12:15 AM   #14
Pow Wow Committee

gilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond repute
gilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond repute
Do it.....
Attached Thumbnails
benstillerdoit1-1.jpg  

"Show me somethin"
Old 05-29-2015, 02:08 PM   #15

it has to be a cream filled kind tho....eat it slow.... hahahaha
windanncer and gilisi like this.

*Kalilsha*

Old 05-29-2015, 03:09 PM   #16
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Brown Eyed Gurl* View Post
it has to be a cream filled kind tho....eat it slow.... hahahaha
I just ate two custard filled eclairs. Thought of you the whole time.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Old 05-29-2015, 06:42 PM   #17

*Kalilsha*

Old 06-01-2015, 01:05 AM   #18
Pow Wow Visitor

Items PresentDolphinDevil
wanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond repute
wanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 31,225.21
Straight feather, white electrical tape and super glue.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:33 AM   #19
Happy Beading Woman

ac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond repute
ac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 7,209.70
You can add two slits on the backing of the barrette, and slide the quill part of the feather in. Or you can sew on a small thin piece of leather or elastic (white, black - your preference) across your backing depending on how wide you want it but if you use elastic, make it just a tad smaller so that it'll fit nice and snug.

Or you can just secure the feather down first with a dark, flat barrette and then add your beaded barrette over to hide it. I've seen that done, too.

Last edited by ac_miss; 06-01-2015 at 10:38 AM..
ac_miss is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-02-2015, 01:44 AM   #20
Pow Wow Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanjica_the_one View Post
Straight feather, white electrical tape and super glue.
^Thats why wanji is "the one"^^
windanncer likes this.

"Show me somethin"
Sponsored Links