Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Grass Dancing Attaching ribbon and yarn questions. Attaching ribbon and yarn questions.

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2003, 03:51 AM   #1
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
ped xing is a splendid one to beholdped xing is a splendid one to beholdped xing is a splendid one to beholdped xing is a splendid one to beholdped xing is a splendid one to behold
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Attaching ribbon and yarn questions.

Saw the thread about yarn vs. ribbon and got to wondering.

How do you attach the ribbon when you do use it (and what size ribbon). And the same goes for yarn? Which is the best and the best way to put it on so it looks nice.. I like the clean, even rows no matter what is used. Any tips about attaching them?
Old 09-02-2003, 04:37 AM   #2
Teen Dancer

Jammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 220.00
When it comes to yarn width I think its a matter of opinion. I myself used 3/8. Alot of guys I've seen though use 1/2 or bigger. Since I'm using 3/8, and I want the same full effect that yarn gives I have to use mutiple layers of ribbon. Right now my pants have 4 layers, front and back apron 4 layers, side tabs 2 layers and the shirt I'm not done with so I don't know how many layers I will end up with. The way that I am attaching my ribbon might be the hard way but hey atleast it gets the job done. lol I cut my ribbon length to the size that I want and then I iron out the ribbon(just to make it easier to work with) I then take a piece of bias and measure it out to the lenght that I need and then lay my pieces of ribbon out side by side level with one another until I get the width that I need. I then take a piece of double sided heat n bond lite and iron one side down onto the very top of my row of ribbons then I flip that over and iron another strip of heat n bond to that just to secure the ribbon, I then do those same steps over again and then once those both are to that step I take one strip of my ribbons and lay them on top of the other row and iron them together and then I lay my piece of bias double side fold and iron it flat I take both pieces of the heat n bond that are left on both sides of the ribbon off and lay that in between the bias fold and then iron the fold together with the top of the ribbon inside. Once that is done I let it cool(only takes a few seconds or so) then I sew the bias together with two straight stiches using a sewing machine just to secure the ribbon in place and then sew the whole piece of bias onto what ever piece of clothing I'm working on. This works best for me since I am putting strips of colored ribbon on top of the bias and sewing it down. Like I said this is probably the hard way and some might say isn't the right way but hey we all do things differently.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:21 AM   #3
Native Illuzionz-My Biz

canavajo is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 431.06
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer
When it comes to yarn width I think its a matter of opinion. I myself used 3/8. Alot of guys I've seen though use 1/2 or bigger. Since I'm using 3/8, and I want the same full effect that yarn gives I have to use mutiple layers of ribbon. Right now my pants have 4 layers, front and back apron 4 layers, side tabs 2 layers and the shirt I'm not done with so I don't know how many layers I will end up with. The way that I am attaching my ribbon might be the hard way but hey atleast it gets the job done. lol I cut my ribbon length to the size that I want and then I iron out the ribbon(just to make it easier to work with) I then take a piece of bias and measure it out to the lenght that I need and then lay my pieces of ribbon out side by side level with one another until I get the width that I need. I then take a piece of double sided heat n bond lite and iron one side down onto the very top of my row of ribbons then I flip that over and iron another strip of heat n bond to that just to secure the ribbon, I then do those same steps over again and then once those both are to that step I take one strip of my ribbons and lay them on top of the other row and iron them together and then I lay my piece of bias double side fold and iron it flat I take both pieces of the heat n bond that are left on both sides of the ribbon off and lay that in between the bias fold and then iron the fold together with the top of the ribbon inside. Once that is done I let it cool(only takes a few seconds or so) then I sew the bias together with two straight stiches using a sewing machine just to secure the ribbon in place and then sew the whole piece of bias onto what ever piece of clothing I'm working on. This works best for me since I am putting strips of colored ribbon on top of the bias and sewing it down. Like I said this is probably the hard way and some might say isn't the right way but hey we all do things differently.

I agree the effect is astounding and I like to hear the sound. I can hear everything at a powwow or gathering even the flowers grow. I swear I can even hear the yarn move. I like the smaller ribbon. It is a little more tedious but awesome.

The only stupid question is the question that is not asked.
canavajo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2005, 07:15 PM   #4
Junior Dancer

Leslie Stonechild is a jewel in the rough
I am also looking for advice on this topic. I have purchased Yarn and Ribbon mainly focusing on the Color scheme that I am working on. Never thought of making sure the widths all matched up so I get a good sound. lol Still looking for that one last color of blue/green ribbon that I need before I start all the sewing.

From what I have heard about the Yarn is making like a clothes line and grabbing 2-4 of equal strips of yarn hooked over a single longer strip of yarn, kinda like each one is how you do a hitch knot I think is the name of it. The next step I am still unclear on. These are the two that I thought of:

1-sew the longer strip between the two pieces of fabric - like the breach cloth front and back. The only problem being is that if you want to add ribbon between the yarn is what i am wrestling with this one.

2-sew the long strip on top of the finished piece(shirt/pant/apron). How much I know is realy limited on the whole sewing end of things.

Reading Jammers message above just for the ribbon started getting me confused but I will be re-reading many times to get more of an idea on how to sew in that ribbon. Not really sure what Jammer means by "layers" or if it is the number of yarn strips you hook on the longer strip. Perhaps he can give us that advice?!?!

I still have confusion on the whole shirt and pants thing of how to put yarn/ribbon on them so I will update when I can.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:29 PM   #5
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 131,531.72
Savings: 1.00
Seen people use that cotton clothesline cord to tie their yarn on with that method you're talking about, then cover it with doublewide, double-fold bias tape. Makes it easier to sew onto your outfit. Hope that made sense!

<----Joe

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-12-2005, 02:47 AM   #6
Naomi

Sparklebeadz has a reputation beyond reputeSparklebeadz has a reputation beyond reputeSparklebeadz has a reputation beyond reputeSparklebeadz has a reputation beyond reputeSparklebeadz has a reputation beyond reputeSparklebeadz has a reputation beyond reputeSparklebeadz has a reputation beyond reputeSparklebeadz has a reputation beyond reputeSparklebeadz has a reputation beyond reputeSparklebeadz has a reputation beyond reputeSparklebeadz has a reputation beyond reputeSparklebeadz has a reputation beyond reputeSparklebeadz has a reputation beyond reputeSparklebeadz has a reputation beyond reputeSparklebeadz has a reputation beyond reputeSparklebeadz has a reputation beyond reputeSparklebeadz has a reputation beyond reputeSparklebeadz has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 900.17
My son wants to grass dance, so im also looking for some more ideads on how to sew the yarn on. So glad i saw this thread. But I've done projects where i had to sew ribbon fringe onto some shawls and something for my son. This is what i did, and it worked great for me.

*measured out what i needed for the project for each side (for each side, and the bottom)

*cut out all the ribbon twice as long as i needed it and melted the ends alittle.

*then laid down a piece of masking tape sticky side up for as long as i needed it for the the part i needed it on, taping down the ends of tape so it stayed on the table.

*the i would fold the ribbon so the middle came to an upside down V (so theres only one layer of ribbon on that part of of the tape).press it on the masking tape.

*when i had all the ribbon in the design that i wanted i would tape down the other side, sandwiching the ribbon in the middle.

* sew it on to where its needed.

I dont know if this is the "right" way of putting ribbon on, but ive tried hand tieing it, but that took way to long for me, and i like the way it looked sewed on better... buts just me. Hope that helped. Good luck, and i was really glad to see the other ways of doing this too.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:12 AM   #7
terry4826

terry4826 is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 1,035.88
Double stick tape is what I use to attach ribbons. Finish your edges, turning it under or with bias tape, then lay out a strip of the tape on top of the edge, leaving about an 1/8th to a 1/4 inch edge from the bottom. If needed, lay out another strip of tape and add another row of ribbon. Finally on top of all the ribbons, I secure the rows by laying a wider ribbon across the rows and stitch below and above where the tape is. It can still gum up your needle so I keep a Q-tip with "goo-gone" handy to clean my needle as I sew. You can find different sizes of the double-stick tape in fabric stores.

Last edited by terry4826; 06-28-2005 at 08:14 AM..
terry4826 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-17-2005, 11:24 PM   #8
Marine "Ndn on Point"

Walker of Water is an unknown quantity at this point
I use 1/8 ribbon or 3/8 yarn. I find that it looks full and has a crips look and sways better.
When I attach the ribbon I use 1/4" double sided Iron on tape.
I place each ribbon on side by side in groups of three or five.
covering the width of the sticky tape 1/4".
I apply the iron on top of the ribbons melting the tape and the ribbons stay on.
I wait one day and check to see if the ribbons are fixed then I sew them on with my sewing machine.
I then cut a 1/4" strip of material and use the tape to attach it to the inside where you can see the ends of the ribbon.

This works for me.......
Walker of Water is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-18-2005, 10:21 PM   #9
Peace n Mutton Grease

Nezbah has a reputation beyond repute
Nezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 511.00
Thumbs up

LOL.....I swear I should have a INFO-MERCIAL for this product as I am telling almost every seamstress bout this......

Its called Steam-a-seam2 and I think you can only get it at Joanne's or Hancocks but NOT WALMART!!!! LOL. It comes either in 8x11 sheets and then it comes in 1/4, 3/8, 5/8, or 1/2 rolls. This stuff is awesome. One, its double sided and it also has somewhat of a stickyness to it so you can just 'place' or place anything on it, so it will hold. Once you have your ribbon on it and everything looks alright you place a 'silk' setting iron on it (so it won't burn the fabric) and it will create a temporary bond to your ribbons (or any fabric, applique's, hems, etc). Then, you will peel off the back and place it on the fabric you are going to attach it too. Iron that on and it will permanently/temporarily place it until you sew/or not sew over it. The beauty part is that this stuff will not gum up your needle. But it will also hold if you decide not to stitch as well. It will stay even after you wash or sweat on it. But I recommend to stitch everything down. It will also ease up when you wash so it won't be so stiff. LOL.

Anyhow, I have made 3 brand new grassdance regalia's for my son this year and have gone thru many many web-bonding ideas, including glues,etc. This and a product called wonder-under are the only ones I will ever use. They are sooooo nice to work with.

Ideas for the yarn, I do it 4 yarns at a time on a thinner rope. Then I sew it on with a zigzag stitch cross, using from either a 1-2 sewing setting but right on top so you don't really see it. Then I add the ribbon on top but I mostly use yarn, it really flows nicely when he dances. But be careful on the kind of yarn you choose some are so cheaply made that they fray really easy......

Good luck in your sewing ventures... If you do try any of these products.... lemme know what you think :D :D

EMAIL ME for GON 2014 Special Hotel, Air, and Car Rates...limited availability. Powwow special rates across the US and Canada. I also offer great vacation, business, and specialty fares to every destination in the world! Email for the rates
[email protected]
Nezbah is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2005, 05:03 PM   #10
Jing-a-ling Shook-shook

kiiyaaniiasdzaa is just really nice
Grass fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ped xing
Saw the thread about yarn vs. ribbon and got to wondering.

How do you attach the ribbon when you do use it (and what size ribbon). And the same goes for yarn? Which is the best and the best way to put it on so it looks nice.. I like the clean, even rows no matter what is used. Any tips about attaching them?
I usually use the 1/2 ribbons because they look so cool and cut them to the length the grass dancer wants. I then stack 2 or 3 ribbons (same size) next to each other until I have it the way I want. Sometimes I pin them into place or use Elmer's glue. Once dried (glue) or once I have it pinned I sew it on.

For yarn I take a long string (double it and just make my own fringe and sew it on by hand. If I have a real good machine I use the sewing machine and sew it into place. Not to hard to do put does take some practice.
kiiyaaniiasdzaa is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-2005, 03:08 PM   #11
Tiny Tot Dancer

ped xing is a splendid one to beholdped xing is a splendid one to beholdped xing is a splendid one to beholdped xing is a splendid one to beholdped xing is a splendid one to behold
Old 11-16-2005, 08:19 PM   #12
rje728

rje728 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have found that taking shoelace and tie the yarn on it makes its really easy to attach it with a sewing machine
rje728 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-27-2006, 08:21 PM   #13
****** of the Pack

wolf'sden is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Stonechild
I am also looking for advice on this topic. I have purchased Yarn and Ribbon mainly focusing on the Color scheme that I am working on. Never thought of making sure the widths all matched up so I get a good sound. lol Still looking for that one last color of blue/green ribbon that I need before I start all the sewing.

From what I have heard about the Yarn is making like a clothes line and grabbing 2-4 of equal strips of yarn hooked over a single longer strip of yarn, kinda like each one is how you do a hitch knot I think is the name of it. The next step I am still unclear on. These are the two that I thought of:

1-sew the longer strip between the two pieces of fabric - like the breach cloth front and back. The only problem being is that if you want to add ribbon between the yarn is what i am wrestling with this one.

2-sew the long strip on top of the finished piece(shirt/pant/apron). How much I know is realy limited on the whole sewing end of things.

Reading Jammers message above just for the ribbon started getting me confused but I will be re-reading many times to get more of an idea on how to sew in that ribbon. Not really sure what Jammer means by "layers" or if it is the number of yarn strips you hook on the longer strip. Perhaps he can give us that advice?!?!

I still have confusion on the whole shirt and pants thing of how to put yarn/ribbon on them so I will update when I can.
Do you or any one else have any pics on how these knots look
as well as how many layers one should use for a 4yr old's grass
dance outfit shuold use???????
Any reply's are welcome.
wolf'sden is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-16-2006, 12:08 AM   #14
Junior Dancer

Evenstar has a reputation beyond reputeEvenstar has a reputation beyond reputeEvenstar has a reputation beyond reputeEvenstar has a reputation beyond reputeEvenstar has a reputation beyond reputeEvenstar has a reputation beyond reputeEvenstar has a reputation beyond reputeEvenstar has a reputation beyond reputeEvenstar has a reputation beyond reputeEvenstar has a reputation beyond reputeEvenstar has a reputation beyond reputeEvenstar has a reputation beyond reputeEvenstar has a reputation beyond reputeEvenstar has a reputation beyond reputeEvenstar has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 640.65
Hey folks. I am finally making my son's outfit. And I have come across a situation. I don't know what to do next. I have already cut out designs and put them on the bottom front and back of the outfit. And I think I should try to attach the yarn next.

But, I'm not sure of how to do it. Do I attach the yarn on top edge of the material, or shoud I put bias tape on the edges and then sew the yarn under it, between a bottom layer of material? Do I make sense? lol.

Anyways, I'm gonna try to come up with something, and if anyone has any ideas from where to go next and how to's, that will be very appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 05-22-2006, 02:47 PM   #15
LeeLee

firecloud is a jewel in the rough
Ribbon/yarn ...etc.

So other than the ribbon or yarn for grass dance outfit...what else do you need. What is the basic list of needs for an outfit like the grass dance, I'm asking cause i have no sons and only have a daughter but now a nephew ASKED ME what supplies he needed, (in my mind i was going what do i look like the know it all) he then stated that I'm good at find information on things. So please anyone can you help me out i need I suppose a "grocery list" of things needed for a Grass Dance outfit for a 8yr old.

Thanks LEE
Old 05-22-2006, 02:53 PM   #16
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 131,531.72
I want to say that this is very nice thing to do for your nephew!

Maybe you can start by going into the picture gallery and look under the grass dance section, or maybe the childrens section to get ideas on what you need. I'm sure other people will post to help out.

JD

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-25-2006, 09:46 AM   #17
BaMBaMm

BamBamm is an unknown quantity at this point
I have been Planing to make a Regalia for so long,
Now i have a way to et all my material for FREE!.
After i find a way to start Making my regalia, Im gonna
start one for my nefu.
BamBamm is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-15-2006, 05:52 PM   #18
Junior Dancer

Leslie Stonechild is a jewel in the rough
3 years later

I have been wanting to dance for the last 3-4 years and I still don't have a complete outfit made. Maybe it is because I am too picky with what I want on and am not crafty enough to do it myself.

I have asked a cousin to work on my outfit last fall and it still isn't ready as far as I know. The next step for me will be to find someone to help me with the beadwork, finding a better roach and new moccs.

I also haven't been pushing on this like I should be but I will be dancing soon.

Advice for all the people who want to make an outfit is to understand that it is a big commitment of time, money and energy. If you have all that then it should take you no time at all to be dancing.
Old 07-15-2006, 01:26 PM   #19
LeeLee

firecloud is a jewel in the rough
grass dance yarn question

hello i was wondering, so if i go to the craft store how many of those yarn bundles will i need for a kids outfit? anyone know? let me know asap
Old 07-17-2006, 02:39 AM   #20
www.wakalapi.com

Wakalapi has a reputation beyond repute
Wakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 336.00
I see the wide strips of cloth are making a comeback in place of the yarns and ribbons. But why do I keep thinking, "car wash" ???
Sponsored Links