Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Grass Dancing Attaching ribbon and yarn questions. Attaching ribbon and yarn questions.

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2006, 10:39 AM   #21
Senior Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
SuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond repute
SuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 120.00
Savings: 0.00
how this Mom attaches yarn

Ok, I use yarn. I lay out 7 - 10 pieces of yarn (depending on width of yarn), twice the length I want (pluss a little extra). Then a take another (shorter) piece of yarn & tie it around my 7 (10) pieces in the middle. this creates a tassle of 14 - 20 pieces.

When I have made all the tassles I sew them (with a zig zag stitch) onto a length of bias tape.

Then I sew the biace tape onto the regalia (straight stitch). Then a trim the ends so that they are all even.

This creates a really full fringe and is also great for colour blocking in even amounts.

Suzze
SuzzeQ4 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-08-2006, 08:55 AM   #22
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantRainbowDevilDevil
Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 32,425.79
Savings: 1.00
All my sons started off dancing grass and as far as the yarn go's we went and baught the white cord like you would use on a closeline ,and I tied one end to the top of our chair the other end to the doornob of our closit and took two pieces of yarn that we measured and cut ,and "tied them on" I believe the knot was called a crow's head knot, before I did all of this I measured the areas that we would be placing this strung yarn and added a foot or so to allow for any oop's we may make, we had a pile of cord-n yarn and we would sew it around the edges of the outfit and trim at the end , then start on the next piece.
Eagle Plumes is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-14-2006, 06:57 PM   #23
whiteaglefeatherfan

jeremiah oleman will become famous soon enough
Credits: 0.00
ribbon attachment.

great thread starter. love this community forum. After I finish cutting out my apron,shirt pattern,pants pattern(sidedrops,harness,armbands,cuffs,if appliqued) I either serge the edges,then applique my design. At this point then I will either finish the edges properly with a bias strip to hide the serged edges. Then I will sew on a contrasting color or bias tape with the ribbon on the inside of the bias tape,just open up the bias tape and lay the edge of the ribbon on the center of the fold and sew down the color scheme. I usually do a whole bias tape at a time and usually have left overs which I like that I can use for other projects. Then I close the bias tape and then put the clean side towards the inside of the regalia and then the ribbon faces the outside. because the bias is already folded and clean then i sew one row of stitching on the outside edge and then one row of stitching on the folded edge. always comes out nice and clean. it takes time but I like the result. I usually do wool and ribbon combinations. but now I may start only do ribbon. who knows. Always enjoy your work and be proud of your work. And never be afraid to ask other dancers how they made their regalias. when ever someone asks me how to do something I am always happy to show them how.all my relations over and out.
jeremiah oleman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-14-2006, 07:03 PM   #24
whiteaglefeatherfan

jeremiah oleman will become famous soon enough
Credits: 0.00
ribbon attachment.

great thread starter. love this community forum. After I finish cutting out my apron,shirt pattern,pants pattern(sidedrops,harness,armbands,cuffs,if appliqued) I either serge the edges,then applique my design. At this point then I will either finish the edges properly with a bias strip to hide the serged edges. Then I will sew on a contrasting color or bias tape with the ribbon on the inside of the bias tape,just open up the bias tape and lay the edge of the ribbon on the center of the fold and sew down the color scheme. I usually do a whole bias tape at a time and usually have left overs which I like that I can use for other projects. Then I close the bias tape and then put the clean side towards the inside of the regalia and then the ribbon faces the outside. because the bias is already folded and clean then i sew one row of stitching on the outside edge and then one row of stitching on the folded edge. always comes out nice and clean. it takes time but I like the result. I usually do wool and ribbon combinations. but now I may start only do ribbon. who knows. Always enjoy your work and be proud of your work. And never be afraid to ask other dancers how they made their regalias. when ever someone asks me how to do something I am always happy to show them how.all my relations over and out.
jeremiah oleman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-27-2009, 06:40 PM   #25
NaiTooYeePuutTaiKee

khalua is a splendid one to beholdkhalua is a splendid one to behold
Credits: 277.00
yarn fringe

oki,

here's my story...lmao

I looped knotted all the fringe on a piece of yarn.
but can't sew it onto my outfit with the sewing machine It's just too thick and can;'t get it to stay put arghhh. the thread just keeps knotting up on the machine.

what can i do?
sew by hand?
punch holes in the outfit and hope it looks ok?
I'm about ready to call it quits! arghh
khalua is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-02-2009, 12:55 PM   #26
Boogie Monster

sookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond repute
sookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,334.84
A machine with an adjustable pressure foot will USUALLY take care of this - most quilting machines have this option. The other option is to go back and thin out your yarn. Cut pieces off if you have too - going back and retying is extremely demoralizing.

I don't tie my yarn on in knots - I sew over my yarn in between two layers of fabric for aprons, capes, leggings, and drops, and will go to bias tape for shirts and pants.

The cord method others have mentioned is clearly the best - tie a cord it between two chair backs and pull the chairs apart so the line is taut. I cut my yarn out ahead of time by wrapping it from my elbow to my wrist and then cutting it at the elbow (think of rolling up garden hose or rope). I then take two piece of the cut yarn and get the ends together. Fold them in half at the midpoint so you have "U" shaped hank of yarn. Place the curve of the "U" OVER the cord - loop the hanging ends UNDER the cord and UP through between the curve of the "U" and the cord. Pull it snug and repeat, repeat, repeat.

Ah, If only I had the time to draw a picture and scan it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalua View Post
oki,

here's my story...lmao

I looped knotted all the fringe on a piece of yarn.
but can't sew it onto my outfit with the sewing machine It's just too thick and can;'t get it to stay put arghhh. the thread just keeps knotting up on the machine.

what can i do?
sew by hand?
punch holes in the outfit and hope it looks ok?
I'm about ready to call it quits! arghh
Old 10-13-2010, 05:22 AM   #27
Pow Wow Visitor

short apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond reputeshort apache girl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 99.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzzeQ4 View Post
Ok, I use yarn. I lay out 7 - 10 pieces of yarn (depending on width of yarn), twice the length I want (pluss a little extra). Then a take another (shorter) piece of yarn & tie it around my 7 (10) pieces in the middle. this creates a tassle of 14 - 20 pieces.

When I have made all the tassles I sew them (with a zig zag stitch) onto a length of bias tape.

Then I sew the biace tape onto the regalia (straight stitch). Then a trim the ends so that they are all even.

This creates a really full fringe and is also great for colour blocking in even amounts.

Suzze
great explanation! just don't understand how the bias tape and the fringe works onto the cape? does the fringe go on one side of the cape while the bias tape is on top?
short apache girl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-12-2011, 11:05 AM   #28
Grass Kicker

Kaylosguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 723.69
I like it
Kaylosguy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-25-2011, 03:18 PM   #29
Boogie Monster

sookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond repute
sookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,334.84
Quote:
Originally Posted by short apache girl View Post
great explanation! just don't understand how the bias tape and the fringe works onto the cape? does the fringe go on one side of the cape while the bias tape is on top?
The finge is first sewn along the length of the bias tape and THEN the bias tape is sewn to the back of the cape/apron, etc.