PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Grass Dancing (http://forums.powwows.com/f22/)
-   -   Grass Dance "boing boing" construction (http://forums.powwows.com/f22/grass-dance-boing-boing-construction-68101/)

granco145 09-29-2013 10:54 PM

Grass Dance "boing boing" construction
 
Greetings! I am in need of information on how to construct the "boing boings" for the headwear of the male Grass Dancer. Sorry, I do not know any other name for them. They are the fluff feathers with piano wire that bounce with the dancer's movement. Thanks for any information!

AmigoKumeyaay 09-30-2013 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by granco145 (Post 1589137)
Greetings! I am in need of information on how to construct the "boing boings" for the headwear of the male Grass Dancer. Sorry, I do not know any other name for them. They are the fluff feathers with piano wire that bounce with the dancer's movement. Thanks for any information!

Instrument wire, like piano wire or thick bass guitar string (.145ga used for the B in a 5 string bass), is great because it consists of a corrosion resistant wire wrapped around a solid core. Instrument wire is also designed to flex and bend a bit. Most are either brass or nickle coated and are fairly light.

I've heard of others using solid wire stock from hardware stores but unless it's coated they will corrode (rust) easily.

I like the idea of bike brake cable too - never thought of it before.

Toolbox 09-30-2013 09:34 AM

What Amigo said, thick piano wire. Also think about thread wrapping the exposed portion of the wire in various colors (chosen from the colors on the outfit). The thread will add some color and give the wire just a bit more rigidity as you wouldn't want the antennae whipping down into the person's face if they bob their head or bounce hard :lol:

OLChemist 09-30-2013 10:44 AM

http://www.nocbay.com/learningcircle...chSpreader.pdf

I thought choke springs/cable were traditional, LOL.

AmigoKumeyaay 09-30-2013 04:31 PM

Echo Effect
 
:shades_sm
Quote:

Originally Posted by Toolbox (Post 1589144)
What Amigo said, thick piano wire.

I copied that from one of YOUR posts on another grass spreader thread:hypocrite :lol:


Toolbox 09-30-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmigoKumeyaay (Post 1589156)
:shades_sm

Link it! I don't remember seeing it!

AmigoKumeyaay 09-30-2013 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toolbox (Post 1589157)
Link it! I don't remember seeing it!

http://forums.powwows.com/f22/antenna-fluffs-67545/

Toolbox 09-30-2013 09:15 PM

Derp!

Toolbox 09-30-2013 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmigoKumeyaay (Post 1589166)

Geeze! I'd forget my head if it weren't for the fact that it is super glued onto my torso! :idiot:

grass newbie 10-01-2013 10:17 PM

https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/...69190417_n.jpg
I'm assuming he wants something like these?

granco145 10-02-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grass newbie (Post 1589196)
https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/...69190417_n.jpg
I'm assuming he wants something like these?

Yes, exactly!

grass newbie 10-02-2013 02:54 PM

Ah, ok. Just making sure. Assuming you're trying to assemble the fluffs and attach to the wire (or spring, whatever you're using)?

granco145 10-02-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grass newbie (Post 1589234)
Ah, ok. Just making sure. Assuming you're trying to assemble the fluffs and attach to the wire (or spring, whatever you're using)?

you've got me figured out! How long should the wire be? How do you suggest attaching it to the spreader? Thanks for any information! Much appreciated.

grass newbie 10-02-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by granco145 (Post 1589235)
you've got me figured out! How long should the wire be? How do you suggest attaching it to the spreader? Thanks for any information! Much appreciated.

I would make the wire long enough (I don't know what kind of wire you plan on using) long enough to make the fluffs able to bob with a full motion, but make sure they don't flop down an hit your face :teeth_smi. And attaching it to the spreader? I can't help ya there, I'm still experimenting with making them stay upright. :idiot: But, I'm using a zip tie to secure it in this picture. If anyone has any input, much appreciated!

Toolbox 10-02-2013 04:59 PM

One possibility, as the pdf that Olchemist linked to suggests, is to use one really long length of wire and make a "U" shape and pass it through the holes. If you are using a leather spreader then you can use a glover's needle and sew through the spreader and around the wire and that would bond the wire to the leather - the roach base would cushion your head from the wire.

If you are using a metal spreader then thats a whole different story. The only suggestion I can say for metal is to coat the bottom parts of the wire, being the section that is out of sight and the section that is touching the metal, in lacquer or urethane to prevent possible galvanic corrosion from damaging the metal spreader. If you are looking to attach the wire to the spreader full time you can try to solder it, but that is entirely dependent on the type of metals in use and your knowledge and skill with soldering equipment.

granco145 10-02-2013 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grass newbie (Post 1589236)
I would make the wire long enough (I don't know what kind of wire you plan on using) long enough to make the fluffs able to bob with a full motion, but make sure they don't flop down an hit your face :teeth_smi. And attaching it to the spreader? I can't help ya there, I'm still experimenting with making them stay upright. :idiot: But, I'm using a zip tie to secure it in this picture. If anyone has any input, much appreciated!

thank you for your insight!

granco145 10-02-2013 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toolbox (Post 1589244)
One possibility, as the pdf that Olchemist linked to suggests, is to use one really long length of wire and make a "U" shape and pass it through the holes. If you are using a leather spreader then you can use a glover's needle and sew through the spreader and around the wire and that would bond the wire to the leather - the roach base would cushion your head from the wire.

If you are using a metal spreader then thats a whole different story. The only suggestion I can say for metal is to coat the bottom parts of the wire, being the section that is out of sight and the section that is touching the metal, in lacquer or urethane to prevent possible galvanic corrosion from damaging the metal spreader. If you are looking to attach the wire to the spreader full time you can try to solder it, but that is entirely dependent on the type of metals in use and your knowledge and skill with soldering equipment.

very helpful! Thanks a bunch!

grass newbie 10-02-2013 05:56 PM

I just rigged mine up with some wire real quickly, might have to try the glover's needle approach, I might bead the spreader later or make a new one.

sookout sh'nob 01-14-2015 04:59 PM

My people have a use for ever part of the automobile!

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLChemist (Post 1589145)
http://www.nocbay.com/learningcircle...chSpreader.pdf

I thought choke springs/cable were traditional, LOL.


Toolbox 01-15-2015 05:40 PM

I found a German Silver spreader with the wires meant specifically for this last year. I didn't think they sold them like that. All I had to do was attach the fluff to it and it was good to go.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright 2006, PowWows.com, LLC