Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree1Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Grass Dancing Grass Dance FAQ! Grass Dance FAQ!

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-13-2009, 12:20 PM   #41
dhays9

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
I was wondering what the hoops grass dancers hang from their yoke with ribbon attached for instance are and where to get them.
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-13-2009, 03:52 PM   #42
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 10,816.57
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke View Post
I think it is more important what your heart says and what you feel well. If your heart didn't like the situation-- don't do it.-

Elke

Elke,

But, but, but, what if my heart says "dance to OOM Pah Pah music" but I feel well about dancing to Diddy BOP?

Old 08-27-2009, 03:44 AM   #43
Pow Wow Visitor

Lolotea is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Thankz!

Its been a while now and i have been seriously thinking on weather to make a new Fancy shawl outfit.. or to make a Switch Grass outfit... im a bit scared to do the Grass dance outfit because the dream of my outfit that came to me is MUCH different than what you would normally see at a powwow...plus the fact that i am a female dancing a male's style. i just had aa question about making the outfit...

The roach... Like some of the male's traditional roach, they have feathers in the front and two in the spinner. Would it be appropreate for a grass dancer to wear a head dress like that? ((http://www.gballard.net/port/pwow/ba...ark_Powwow.jpg))

And is there a rule about carrying a Fan insted of the Hoops/whistles/sticks?

Thank you.
~lolotea
Lolotea is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-27-2009, 01:10 PM   #44
Tiny Tot Dancer

buffalo69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjoejimbob View Post
How about hand items? Some dancers hold nothing, some a hoop, some a fan, some the traditional crane stick, some use 2 of these items.
This one is open to interpretation..like anything. I was taught that we didn't carry anything when we dance. but I have carried dance sticks and braids of sweetgrass in both hands. I don't carry anything now and don't see anything wrong with it either way. There is something to be said about dancing with sweetgrass though. It is a medicine and like all medicines, if you believe in them, can only help you. I would just watch out for carrying anything too large that would look out of place. But its pretty open to interpretation.
buffalo69 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-27-2009, 01:13 PM   #45
Tiny Tot Dancer

buffalo69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeler View Post
I use to carry hand items...mirror board, loose fan. Since coming back to the trail; recently; I haven't. I Did dance with a sweet grass hoop that had sage and tobbaco bundles tied to it, but only at the Pow-wow right after I returned from Afghan;when my G-father gave it to me. I also remember when grassdancers carried bandanna style scarves while danceing(80's). does anyone else remember this?
i remember this like crazy...in fact it is coming back over here in the northwest..but i remember all my heroes sported scarve...lol
buffalo69 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-01-2009, 06:35 PM   #46
Boogie Monster

sookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond repute
sookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 3,751.64
If you mean the small white ones, they're plastic and are called jump rings - you can get them at just about any craft store. The also have them at various mail order places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays9 View Post
I was wondering what the hoops grass dancers hang from their yoke with ribbon attached for instance are and where to get them.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:35 PM   #47
Pow Wow Visitor

MikeZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile

howdy
i'm just working on an outfit for grass dancing and i figured i'd try to start learning the steps now.
is there anywhere other than DVDs and learning from other dancers that i could learn? (youtube, web sites, etc)i looked and couldn't find anything but i wondered if any of you have.
MikeZ is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-18-2009, 10:14 PM   #48
Pow Wow Visitor

The best way to do it mikez... is to step in to the arena and learn =) that is what i have been doing... you can always talk to grass dancers and have them teach you as well. it doesn't hurt to ask =) it might for me because i am a female wantin to dance a male's style

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeZ View Post
howdy
i'm just working on an outfit for grass dancing and i figured i'd try to start learning the steps now.
is there anywhere other than DVDs and learning from other dancers that i could learn? (youtube, web sites, etc)i looked and couldn't find anything but i wondered if any of you have.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:16 PM   #49
Pow Wow Visitor

ok
thanks a lot
it'll take a bit to get over the nerves but i'm pretty sure i can handle it
also
is there anything special as far as rules and prep/respect other than what is normally done for men's traditional that should be done for grass dance?
Old 10-20-2009, 08:19 PM   #50
Pow Wow Visitor

Thats where you would have to ask the dancers. i am not 100% sure of anything...

Quote:
ok
thanks a lot
it'll take a bit to get over the nerves but i'm pretty sure i can handle it
also
is there anything special as far as rules and prep/respect other than what is normally done for men's traditional that should be done for grass dance?
Old 10-21-2009, 11:40 AM   #51
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 10,816.57
Quote:

Mike,

Yes there are. What ever moves you do on one side, no matter how complex, you should do them on the other side. If you do a certain step with your left, you should duplicate it on your right side.

.... and if you fall flat on your face, you should immediately fall backward.... *L j/k
Old 10-22-2009, 04:27 PM   #52
Pow Wow Visitor

Old 09-07-2010, 12:39 PM   #53
Pow Wow Visitor

krazybearz is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi all! New to forums...I am currently finishing up on my youngest son's grass dance regalia, but I am stumped on his headgear. Any pointers in assembling a headband, etc? Thanks!

We are Cherokee, Absentee Shawnee, and Blackfeet FYI
krazybearz is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2010, 09:19 AM   #54
Boogie Monster

sookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazybearz View Post
Hi all! New to forums...I am currently finishing up on my youngest son's grass dance regalia, but I am stumped on his headgear. Any pointers in assembling a headband, etc? Thanks!

We are Cherokee, Absentee Shawnee, and Blackfeet FYI

Well, did you want to bead it or make it fabric applique? I use fabric on the little guys, and beadwork when they are old enough to keep track of things and take care of them.

For a beadwork headband, find a design you like and get some beading graph paper - places like crazy crow and noc bay should have it - and lay out your design for a loom. Loom the band and then sew it down at key points to a fabric backing - I like a light canvas.

I also usally add a row or two to the outside edge of the loomwork that is woven with the loom piece (off of the loom) and is sewn directly to the canvas.

Here's an extremely simplified version of the technique
I bet there's a beadoworking book out there that describes the process pretty well
Old 09-27-2010, 09:06 PM   #55
Pow Wow Visitor

granco145 is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 553.20
Width of Grass Dancers H harness

Hi Everyone~ I'm getting ready to bead the H harnessfor my Grass Dancer. Are there any guidelines for how wide it needs to be? Many thanks!
granco145 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-06-2010, 11:11 PM   #56
Boogie Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by granco145 View Post
Hi Everyone~ I'm getting ready to bead the H harnessfor my Grass Dancer. Are there any guidelines for how wide it needs to be? Many thanks!
Check out this thread. The info is in there, just read around the negativity.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:57 PM   #57
Pow Wow Visitor

granco145 is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 553.20
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sookout sh'nob View Post
Check out this thread. The info is in there, just read around the negativity.
thanks for sending me the link. found the info i need. now for some serious beadwork!
granco145 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-09-2010, 02:16 PM   #58
Boogie Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by granco145 View Post
thanks for sending me the link. found the info i need. now for some serious beadwork!
To the looms!
Old 10-12-2010, 11:23 AM   #59
Chahta Champion

ChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond reputeChahtaGrasser has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 239.93
Savings: 1.00
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sookout sh'nob View Post
To the looms!
haha, exactly what i was saying two seconds ago!!
ChahtaGrasser is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-12-2010, 12:08 PM   #60
HUUUUUUUUUH!

Iowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond repute
Iowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 4,359.51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChahtaGrasser View Post
haha, exactly what i was saying two seconds ago!!
but grass dancers don't use loom beadwork anymore, so don't run to the looms.......

that's like a fancy dancer saying he's going to wear only one bustle with fluffies on it
Iowa_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links