Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Grass Dancing Grass dancing bustle? Grass dancing bustle?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2008, 09:54 AM   #21
Dancing my style

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
keeler has much to be proud ofkeeler has much to be proud ofkeeler has much to be proud ofkeeler has much to be proud ofkeeler has much to be proud ofkeeler has much to be proud ofkeeler has much to be proud ofkeeler has much to be proud of
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
That's a very good visual. It did look very simular to that.
keeler is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-25-2008, 10:23 PM   #22
Boogie Monster

sookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond repute
sookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,334.84
Women's Grass

Found mention of it here...4th paragraph in:

"That time, there was never a woman dancing grass with men. Dancing grass was a sacred doing. Women had their own dances. Women had two types of dance. One was a Grass Dance, and the other was a Round Dance. A few years after that, things started to"
sookout sh'nob is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-26-2008, 11:30 AM   #23
N-trad dancer and singer

crazytraddancer is infamous around these parts
Look man Im tellin you back in the early reservation period what is now northern traditional dance was called grass dance. The only reason for this is that the dancers pulled up bunches of grass, and tucked it in their belts to represent scalps, because ntrad is consitered a warrior's dance. This was later meant to show that the various warrior societies wanted good and plenty for the people of their tribe.

Unlike some traditional dancers, Grass dance is a contemporary style of dance just like fancy dance. So is chicken dance. These old photos that some people here are talking about are early traditional dancers, not chicken dancers and not grass dancers. Even though it was called that AT THE TIME!!!!

Anyway the chicken dance started within societies during the 40s &50s.

Bottom like is that if you are not a fancy, northern trad dancer, or chicken dancer, DONT WEAR A BUSTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyway, why dont you ask a respectable elder if you are correct, or what the true story is in the powwow world.

Last edited by crazytraddancer; 06-03-2008 at 06:48 PM..
crazytraddancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-27-2008, 09:29 PM   #24
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,584.70
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazytraddancer View Post
Grass dance is a contemporary style of dance just like fancy dance. So is chicken dance.....If you really dont believe me, .... , go to full circle videos and buy MENS NORTHERN STYLES.

TOOOOOOOOOOO FUUUUUUNNY!!!

Just like my friend Steve Stops on Time (RIP) used to say...

"I know this to be true because I read it in a book that a white man wrote!"
Old 05-28-2008, 10:31 AM   #25
Boogie Monster

sookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond repute
Erroneous information from the second paragraph down - and it has the added virtue of going against any post of value made in the forum since its inception. Could be some sort of clown talkin backwards though.

Food for thought.

Quote:
Look man Im tellin you back in the early reservation period what is now northern traditional dance was called grass dance. The only reason for this is that the dancers pulled up bunches of grass, and tucked it in their belts to represent scalps, because ntrad is consitered a warrior's dance. This was later meant to show that the various warrior societies wanted good and plenty for the people of their tribe.

Unlike some traditional dancers, Grass dance is a contemporary style of dance just like fancy dance. So is chicken dance. These old photos that some people here are talking about are early traditional dancers, not chicken dancers and not grass dancers. Even though it was called that AT THE TIME!!!!

If you really dont believe me, and there is absolutely no way that you think this is ligit, go to full circle videos and buy MENS NORTHERN STYLES. There it clearly states and describes in detail that the grass dance evolved from the early ntrad dance. and also the chicken dance.

Anyway the chicken dance started within societies during the 40s and 50s and you shouldnt be doing any of their stuff unless you are in that society anyway.

Bottom like is that if you are not a fancy, northern trad dancer, or chicken dancer, DONT WEAR A BUSTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyway, why dont you ask a respectable elder if you are correct, or what the true story is before you make a fool of yourself in the powwow world.

Last edited by sookout sh'nob; 05-28-2008 at 10:33 AM..
Old 05-28-2008, 01:44 PM   #26
N-trad dancer and singer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe View Post
TOOOOOOOOOOO FUUUUUUNNY!!!

Just like my friend Steve Stops on Time (RIP) used to say...

"I know this to be true because I read it in a book that a white man wrote!"
Well if you see it that way im sorry, but in this they have Kenny Scabby-Robe, the founder, lead singer, and elder of the popular drum group BLACK LODGE, if you dont know them then forget you, and he is also a member of the Blackfoot CHICKEN DANCE society. He explains in detail.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:16 PM   #27
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Well if you see it that way im sorry, but in this they have Kenny Scabby-Robe, the founder, lead singer, and elder of the popular drum group BLACK LODGE, if you dont know them then forget you, and he is also a member of the Blackfoot CHICKEN DANCE society. He explains in detail.

Yes. I know Kenny. Do you know him? or are you just a name dropper?

Are you telling me he said, " Grass dance is a contemporary style of dance just like fancy dance. So is chicken dance."

Last edited by WhoMe; 05-28-2008 at 05:49 PM..
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-30-2008, 09:03 AM   #28
N-trad dancer and singer

Quote:
Yes. I know Kenny. Do you know him? or are you just a name dropper?

Are you telling me he said, " Grass dance is a contemporary style of dance just like fancy dance. So is chicken dance."
Why do you have to be so hostile dude? its an info thing. Ok in fancy dance you have modern styles of beadwork, ribbons mainly (i know some grass dancers use yarn and a few leather), that is what i meant by contemporary. Now when you see the old school trad dancers you dont see ribbon, you see leather. They have stuff that you would find in the 1800s, This is not so in grass dancers. When grass dance first started there were not all of the things that are around now right? Thats all im saying. Theres no need to get all freaked out cuz people have different views than you. I mean thats the powwow world.

Last edited by crazytraddancer; 06-03-2008 at 06:50 PM..
Old 05-30-2008, 10:21 AM   #29
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
Lightbulb

Quote:
Now when you see the old school trad dancers you dont see ribbon, you see leather. They have stuff that you would find in the 1800s, This is not so in grass dancers. Thats all im saying. Theres no need to get all freaked out cuz people have different views than you. I mean thats the powwow world.

crazy,

The reason I corrected you is that "you are posting inaccurate information" that some people searching for answers may take as truth.

Just because the material on the outfit is contemporary/new doesn't mean the dance is.

I don't mind people having different views than me.

I do mind when you make things up and post them.

Thank you for your time.

~ party on dude!

Last edited by WhoMe; 05-30-2008 at 10:28 AM..
Old 05-30-2008, 12:40 PM   #30
Holy Indian Taco Batman!

hobbs49 has a reputation beyond repute
hobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 49.99
Savings: 1.00
As an outsider, I always try to limit my sources down to a single source. I find that having too many people, videos, magazines, web sites, provide input to me only confuses the situation and cloulds "my" sense of truth. j/k

CrazyTradDancer, my advice to you is to take some time to listen and learn from EVERYONE who has something to say. Overtime, you will come to know the real truth. Likewise, it's important ot know that NOBODY is an expert on everything. So just because you get good advice from someone once, it doesn't mean that the advice will always be good. That's why it's always important to use the eyes and ears to take in as much as possible. I'm not saying you shouldn't stand up to Sookout Sh'nob and WhoMe, but if you do, you had better have something more than a Full Circle video in your arsenal.

Just my 2 frybread.
hobbs49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-31-2008, 01:28 PM   #31
Pow Wow Visitor

aprylheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Grass Dance and Pawnee Fire Dance

I am researching the lineage of Chief, or Medicine Man, Crow Feather, a Pawnee who brought the fire dance (?) to his tribe before the Grass Dance. I believe they wore crow feather bustles in that dance. Later the dance became "absorbed" or replaced by the Grass Dance. Does anyone know anything more about Crow Feather, how I could find his lineage, or more about this fire (Iruska?) dance. I think it was introduced after the Ghost dance. Who is the best person you know to talk to about Pawnee culture?

Thanks!
aprylheart is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-02-2008, 04:17 PM   #32
Boogie Monster

Until you find someone to talk too, there's a pretty good article on the boards here- check the grass dance FAQ for a link.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:50 PM   #33
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprylheart View Post
...Who is the best person you know to talk to about Pawnee culture?
Henry Stoneroad (South Bands) and Maud Chissom (Skidi Band) come to mind.

Last edited by WhoMe; 06-02-2008 at 05:57 PM..
Old 06-03-2008, 06:45 PM   #34
N-trad dancer and singer

Quote:
crazy,

The reason I corrected you is that "you are posting inaccurate information" that some people searching for answers may take as truth.

Just because the material on the outfit is contemporary/new doesn't mean the dance is.

I don't mind people having different views than me.

I do mind when you make things up and post them.

Thank you for your time.

~ party on dude!
Ok, that's agreeable but I dont understand what you take to be innacurate. What do you mean?
Old 06-03-2008, 06:59 PM   #35
N-trad dancer and singer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbs49 View Post
As an outsider, I always try to limit my sources down to a single source. I find that having too many people, videos, magazines, web sites, provide input to me only confuses the situation and cloulds "my" sense of truth. j/k

CrazyTradDancer, my advice to you is to take some time to listen and learn from EVERYONE who has something to say. Overtime, you will come to know the real truth. Likewise, it's important ot know that NOBODY is an expert on everything. So just because you get good advice from someone once, it doesn't mean that the advice will always be good. That's why it's always important to use the eyes and ears to take in as much as possible. I'm not saying you shouldn't stand up to Sookout Sh'nob and WhoMe, but if you do, you had better have something more than a Full Circle video in your arsenal.

Just my 2 frybread.
Right I see what your saying, I was just using that as an example. I dont base all i know off of vids. And im not trying to be an expert on everything. Like everyone knows there are alot of different theories about how grass dance came about, i didnt say anything about this, just what know they looked like back then, and that they dont look the same now. Thats all. and i havent been ruling out everything that anyone else says, although that seems to not be the case with some others on this forum. But i see what you are saying. thanks
Old 06-03-2008, 10:17 PM   #36
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
Lightbulb

Quote:
Ok, that's agreeable but I dont understand what you take to be innacurate. What do you mean?

Do a little research and find out which men's powwow dances are the oldest.

These dances far preceded the fancy dance which will be 100 years old in 5 years.

The foundation for men's grass (Omaha Dance), traditional. straight and fancy - ALL began with a bustle.

Last edited by WhoMe; 06-03-2008 at 10:21 PM..
Old 06-04-2008, 12:22 AM   #37
Oldfart

Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
crazy, I think you should listen to the knowledgable people who are attempting to teach you. Being from Massachusets, I really don't think that you are from the original place of grass dance. Whome is much closer to the original birthplace of grass dance and has learned this throughout his years. He has learned much from others and elders.
I really don't think your elders from Mass. would have much to offer in the grass dance traditions. I don't doubt that they could pass on to you their knowledge of eastern-style dancing.
Me? I am almost 60 years old and am still learning. I dance the old-style of the Great Lakes Anishinaabeg. This style is what I stick to, and for me to argue the origins of grass dance with anyone including you would be futile.

I'd make an azz of myself.
Kiwehnzii is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2008, 02:06 PM   #38
N-trad dancer and singer

Quote:
Do a little research and find out which men's powwow dances are the oldest.

These dances far preceded the fancy dance which will be 100 years old in 5 years.

The foundation for men's grass (Omaha Dance), traditional. straight and fancy - ALL began with a bustle.
Yeah, thats pretty much what i said. The i guess i meant the MODERN grass dance
Old 06-04-2008, 02:11 PM   #39
N-trad dancer and singer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwehnzii View Post
crazy, I think you should listen to the knowledgable people who are attempting to teach you. Being from Massachusets, I really don't think that you are from the original place of grass dance. Whome is much closer to the original birthplace of grass dance and has learned this throughout his years. He has learned much from others and elders.
I really don't think your elders from Mass. would have much to offer in the grass dance traditions. I don't doubt that they could pass on to you their knowledge of eastern-style dancing.
Me? I am almost 60 years old and am still learning. I dance the old-style of the Great Lakes Anishinaabeg. This style is what I stick to, and for me to argue the origins of grass dance with anyone including you would be futile.

I'd make an azz of myself.
Im not from mass. Where did you get that from? I'm just trying to defend my views on this issue, and i know that the stories behind the formation of grass dance are confidential, i simply put forward that the modern grass dancers dont wear bustles. I dont see what is so unacceptable about this
Old 06-04-2008, 03:04 PM   #40
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
Quote:
Yeah, thats pretty much what i said. The i guess i meant the MODERN grass dance

*L

~ Party on Dude!