PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Grass Dancing (http://forums.powwows.com/f22/)
-   -   Muscogee Creek nation grass dance (http://forums.powwows.com/f22/muscogee-creek-nation-grass-dance-69890/)

christinasund 02-15-2016 10:44 PM

Muscogee Creek nation grass dance

Hi I'm new to this site, I would like to have my son participate in the pow wow for his age group. His grandmother is full blood creek but never participated in any culture activities. I think its important for my sons to know this side of their heratige. I know no nothing on how rules go. I've read that most regalia is made from family members but like I said he has none living that could teach him about his cultures history and ways. I've also read you cannot just buy it. Please help me get my sons involved in this beautiful culture that they are apart of.
Thank you in advance

christinasund 02-15-2016 10:53 PM

Muscogee Creek nation grass dance

I am wanting my son to participate in his age group for the next available pow wow. He's only a toddler but his grandmother is full blood creek but never participated in any kind of cultural activities. I think its very important for my sons to know this part of their heratige. I don't know anything but a few things that I've read. What kind of outfit does he need to wear for the grass dance? Any specifics I need to incorporate into his outfit and how he should dance?? I'm clueless here so any advice is welcome! Thank you

milehighsalute 02-16-2016 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christinasund (Post 1624017)
I am wanting my son to participate in his age group for the next available pow wow. He's only a toddler but his grandmother is full blood creek but never participated in any kind of cultural activities. I think its very important for my sons to know this part of their heratige. I don't know anything but a few things that I've read. What kind of outfit does he need to wear for the grass dance? Any specifics I need to incorporate into his outfit and how he should dance?? I'm clueless here so any advice is welcome! Thank you

a grass dance outfit

he can wear beaded headband with rosette or bandana or whatever if just starting out.....no roach needed

where do you live? is there a local powwow community there with REAL (that's important) ndns?

Toolbox 02-16-2016 06:23 PM

Admin note. I moved this thread into the appropriate forum and also moved a post from another thread into this one.

Joe's Dad 02-18-2016 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christinasund (Post 1624017)

You've got a hard row to hoe. Your header says Muskogee Creek Grass Dance. Did you research Grass Dance?

Not to discourage you and your son, but you are what your parents are. If grandma is full, then momma is half and you are one quarter. Did g'ma have any siblings? With that much blood...someone has to know something.

Good luck.

OLChemist 02-18-2016 09:59 AM

I need to echo JD, turn to your relatives. Native family structures are more extended than those in the dominant culture. You son probably has relatives outside the western nuclear family that would claim and teach him. They will know.

It is admirable that you are trying to help you son learn who he is. But, please remember powwows are part of modern Native cultures, but they are far from the whole picture. The Mvskoke are not "powwow people." The powwow is a relative newcomer.

Cultural activities can be big showy things powwows, Green Corn ceremony, or stomp dance. But the real meat of Native identity is the little things. The Mvskoke ethos is formed by language, kinship structures and customs, foodways, manners and mores, stories, history, prayers... In these things we carry on who we are.

Let me make a few suggestions:

If you're in OK, it is the start of the season for wild onion dinners. Find one. Take your son and taste some culture. Maybe if your lucky, you'll catch some of that fine Mvskoke hymn singing and make some friends.

Take your son to see his people's lands -- often. Native cultures have a spiritual relationship to a specific geographic location. Knowing the land is critical to understanding the stories, morals, and mindset.

If humanly possible, get him speaking his language! Learn it with him. Speak it to him. Take him places to hear it spoken. All of our languages are in danger, some are hanging by a mere thread. They are at the heart of who we are.

sookout sh'nob 02-22-2016 09:38 AM

Solid advice from OL Chemist, except I would add encouragement to get him dancing. It'll change your lives if you let it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BezucW4T3p8