Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Grass Dancing OLD SYLE or CONTEMP? OLD SYLE or CONTEMP?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2003, 11:54 PM   #1
kills-two-crows

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
OLD SYLE or CONTEMP?

Which do you prefer?
myself: oldstyle, you would'nt think but it requires a lot more leg power
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2003, 11:59 PM   #2
Oldfart

Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
How old? Really old?

Are you talking about the really old style where they wore long underwear and a small bustle? That's true old style.

You mean to say you got that kind of outfit? Check out the pics in the gallery.
Kiwehnzii is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2003, 11:48 AM   #3
Pow Wow Visitor

QunnTheEskimo is an unknown quantity at this point
What makes you old-style? Tell me about the difference as you see it and where and when the split started.

And to the last reply: I have that kind of outfit: but I don't quite dance grass in it.
QunnTheEskimo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2003, 02:55 PM   #4
Scrubmaster JD Dawg

Grass dancing and grass steps

Sup yall,

I don't anything about a "split" or about old style and contemporary or any of that stuff. I am not sure you could draw a line between anything in culture because so much of it is contextual and everchanging, original if you get what I mean. If there had to be a line between the two I would have to say the line could be between those guys who do things on the floor like the charleston and guys who know grass dance dance "steps".
Like it or not there are dances who dance grass and dancers who dance grass dance steps. There is a strong difference between the two for those who know those steps and were taught what this dance means, its history and its traditions...an example of this would be grass dance societies like in Rocky Boy where this teaching is alive and strong. There are also dancers who are very inventive and are pulling moves from all types of sources like the "electric slide" etc.
There are pros and cons to the state of this dance Pros: I feel...there are dancers who are strongly practicing grass dance rituals and there are dancers who are making new waves in the world of Pow Wow dancing such as Julius Not Afraid and many others. The cons: I feel that there is a lack of balance due to the fact that we have seperated the two assuming that they are two different things...they are not...we have created this idea of "old style" and therefore have made some false assumptions about its reality. For example, many assume that old style means to dance like an old man, others feel that old style is something else, and then others feel it is something and so on. By doing this we have lost sight of what grass dance is and is not, drawn lines where there are none and decisions based on this have affected or defected an ability to understand "grass dance steps" and the rituals that are part of the ceremony.
I am not saying either one of them are wrong or right, I am not even going to go there with that. I have just observed this dance for a while and have been fortunate enough to have older men talk to me about this dance. Aho

Jd
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2003, 05:13 AM   #5
Teen Dancer

Jammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 220.00
I here ya JD. When I say old style I don't mean dancing like an old man. A friend of mine dances more of his tribes style. What the people in his tribe taught him and so on. His movements and so forth are what he was taught and what his father and so forth were taught. When I say new style I woud have to say those who looking like the be doing the splits and stuff. Doesn't really take on the effect of stompin anything down, only stretching the legs and what not. HEH.
Old 04-14-2003, 04:28 PM   #6
CYBER QUEEN

TradisH~*~QueeniE is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Grass dancing and grass steps

Quote:
Originally posted by Scrubmaster JD Dawg
Sup yall,

I don't anything about a "split" or about old style and contemporary or any of that stuff. I am not sure you could draw a line between anything in culture because so much of it is contextual and everchanging, original if you get what I mean. If there had to be a line between the two I would have to say the line could be between those guys who do things on the floor like the charleston and guys who know grass dance dance "steps".
Like it or not there are dances who dance grass and dancers who dance grass dance steps. There is a strong difference between the two for those who know those steps and were taught what this dance means, its history and its traditions...an example of this would be grass dance societies like in Rocky Boy where this teaching is alive and strong. There are also dancers who are very inventive and are pulling moves from all types of sources like the "electric slide" etc.
There are pros and cons to the state of this dance Pros: I feel...there are dancers who are strongly practicing grass dance rituals and there are dancers who are making new waves in the world of Pow Wow dancing such as Julius Not Afraid and many others. The cons: I feel that there is a lack of balance due to the fact that we have seperated the two assuming that they are two different things...they are not...we have created this idea of "old style" and therefore have made some false assumptions about its reality. For example, many assume that old style means to dance like an old man, others feel that old style is something else, and then others feel it is something and so on. By doing this we have lost sight of what grass dance is and is not, drawn lines where there are none and decisions based on this have affected or defected an ability to understand "grass dance steps" and the rituals that are part of the ceremony.
I am not saying either one of them are wrong or right, I am not even going to go there with that. I have just observed this dance for a while and have been fortunate enough to have older men talk to me about this dance. Aho

Jd

I totally agree with you on that one Jon

~ If I told you I loved you, would u hold me in your arms so tight, If I told you I loved you, Would you be mine, mine for ever ~

~ U may shoot me with your words, U may cut me with your eyes, U may kill me with your hatefulness, BUT STILL LIKE AIR I'LL RISE ~
TradisH~*~QueeniE is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-15-2003, 03:45 PM   #7
Senior Dancer

Tiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond repute
Tiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,154.33
Learned the old school basics then when matured enough started the innovation phase but keeping to the basic forms of old school. So it more of a blend of old school vs. new school, a balance.
Tiyospaye Yazzie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-06-2003, 08:06 PM   #8
*Graceless Grass Dancer*

Dancin by the bay is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Learning as I go

I consider myself contemporary because I am new to the grass and for the powwow life. I've been in college and so busy with completing I never had time to learn but I would take tips from my cousins who dance grass. I respect the old style dancers and don't compete with the contemp or old stylers because I don't feel I'm competent or deserve to dance with them. Scrubmaster JD Dawg I respect your views and will review them because I fall into the dance grass stepper and not necessarily the grass dancer. I'm learning along the way and thanks for those I've met you answer my questions without portraying me as an idiot grass dancer.
Dancin by the bay is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-08-2003, 12:52 AM   #9
Tiny Tot Dancer

the-grass-punk is an unknown quantity at this point
i like oldstyle but contemp has more leg power to it oldstyle u barly lift ur feet but its fun and the have reall cool regalias and bussles:D but i do contemp so i like them both there really fun ;)

laughter is the most powerful thing in the world
the-grass-punk is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-10-2003, 11:17 AM   #10
Fat Singer

billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
I prefer to dance old style but watch contemporary. There is a point in your life where your either too old or to fat for ANYTHING contemporary!
billyjoejimbob is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-10-2003, 11:23 AM   #11
*Graceless Grass Dancer*

Quote:
Originally posted by billyjoejimbob
I prefer to dance old style but watch contemporary. There is a point in your life where your either too old or to fat for ANYTHING contemporary!
God I hope thats not true for everything!
Old 11-10-2003, 11:44 AM   #12
plains n8tv

tradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond repute
tradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond repute
I prefer old style. I'm not much into the contemp style of grass dance. There is nothing more beautiful than an old style grass dancer...complete with the outfit and the moves...you know the kind who are dancing in maybe a ten foot area with the shoulder movement and the leg movement...whoo-hoo.:D

...never underestimate the power of stupid people in groups...

If quizzes are "quizical"...What are tests?
tradish_wiyan is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-10-2003, 08:54 PM   #13
Tiny Tot Dancer

Matasawagon is a jewel in the rough
"There is a point in your life where your either too old or to fat for ANYTHING contemporary!"

:Chatter :Chatter :Chatter
Matasawagon is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-12-2003, 02:22 PM   #14
bemadazawin

oldstylegrass is on a distinguished road
the name says it all

but i feel a need to dance both.....so many scrutinizing eyes sometimes....he's not dancing oldstyle....how come he calls him self oldstylegrass....its the pure love for it....watching..learning...feeling ...dancing...belonging...catch my drift..............i love both styles....but prefer to watch oldstylegrass...fo sho
Old 11-18-2003, 03:56 AM   #15
Pow Wow Visitor

53lone is an unknown quantity at this point
Many people have different views on what is older style of Dancing is, that would be what some people call grass dance. In our area of Sakatchewan, it was called non-bustle. I watched dancers since the 1960's when my dad danced. Back then they danced to the songs,not against each other or clip around the arena ten times in four push ups. Dancing appeared more majestic, they had individual styles, and to have style you have to have strength. It was like this until the mid 1980's with the coming of Jonathan windy Boy,who is my adopted brother. He was the first I seen who put speed into his movements and utilized the whole arena with this fast pace. It was because of dancing competition, he danced for the judges who were standing around the arena and in order for them to see,you must completely go around the arena. and some of them arenas were huge. But, if you watched VERY CLOSELY, what he did on his right ,he did on his left " with the same balance, speed and agility more important to the beat of the drum!!!. And you never seen him crawling on the ground with one knee, elders taught us "never let your outfit touch the ground" Most, important was endurance, I never seen him rest very much.

Last edited by 53lone; 11-18-2003 at 03:59 AM..
53lone is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-20-2003, 11:28 AM   #16
*Graceless Grass Dancer*

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by 53lone
Many people have different views on what is older style of Dancing is, that would be what some people call grass dance. In our area of Sakatchewan, it was called non-bustle. I watched dancers since the 1960's when my dad danced. Back then they danced to the songs,not against each other or clip around the arena ten times in four push ups. Dancing appeared more majestic, they had individual styles, and to have style you have to have strength. It was like this until the mid 1980's with the coming of Jonathan windy Boy,who is my adopted brother. He was the first I seen who put speed into his movements and utilized the whole arena with this fast pace. It was because of dancing competition, he danced for the judges who were standing around the arena and in order for them to see,you must completely go around the arena. and some of them arenas were huge. But, if you watched VERY CLOSELY, what he did on his right ,he did on his left " with the same balance, speed and agility more important to the beat of the drum!!!. And you never seen him crawling on the ground with one knee, elders taught us "never let your outfit touch the ground" Most, important was endurance, I never seen him rest very much.
Cool I thoughtt this was cool.
Old 11-29-2003, 10:14 PM   #17
Proud Nish from Canada

Nishnawbe10 is on a distinguished road
Old style

Old style is the best way to move it. keep on dancing.
Nishnawbe10 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-01-2003, 04:53 PM   #18
bleh

*sHaRoN* has a reputation beyond repute*sHaRoN* has a reputation beyond repute*sHaRoN* has a reputation beyond repute*sHaRoN* has a reputation beyond repute*sHaRoN* has a reputation beyond repute*sHaRoN* has a reputation beyond repute*sHaRoN* has a reputation beyond repute*sHaRoN* has a reputation beyond repute*sHaRoN* has a reputation beyond repute*sHaRoN* has a reputation beyond repute*sHaRoN* has a reputation beyond repute*sHaRoN* has a reputation beyond repute*sHaRoN* has a reputation beyond repute*sHaRoN* has a reputation beyond repute*sHaRoN* has a reputation beyond repute*sHaRoN* has a reputation beyond repute*sHaRoN* has a reputation beyond repute*sHaRoN* has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by tradish_wiyan
I prefer old style. I'm not much into the contemp style of grass dance. There is nothing more beautiful than an old style grass dancer...complete with the outfit and the moves...you know the kind who are dancing in maybe a ten foot area with the shoulder movement and the leg movement...whoo-hoo.:D

that is so true.......i honestly couldnt breathe when i read this.....hahaha:p
Old 12-03-2003, 11:43 AM   #19
Tiny Tot Dancer

SiouxWoman is on a distinguished road
Old Style, whoo-woo!

You gotta love'em "them old sytle grass dancers" so smoooth! The shoulder movements right down to the feet, all keeping in time with the drum beat. (shudders)

They dance like noones watching!

I totally agree with tradish_wiyan and 53lone.

Last edited by SiouxWoman; 12-03-2003 at 11:52 AM..
SiouxWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-04-2003, 12:49 PM   #20
Boogie Monster

sookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond repute
sookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,334.84
*Dances as if no one is watching*

Heheh... I can't speak for other guys, but when I am old styling it I am really paying attention to my feet and environment. Sort of extending my awareness and really imagining grass everywhere (indoors anyhow).

Might be why it looks like as if no one is watching :) made me think anyhow!
sookout sh'nob is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links