Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Grass Dancing regalia help regalia help

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-2008, 09:42 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
tindi is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
regalia help

I just had a son, and though he wont quite be walking by this summer/pow wow season, I want to make him some basic regalia - I'll probably make a ribbon shirt, but I also want to make him a little grass dance set - problem is, I'm a woman and my dad never danced, so I don't know much about mens/boys dance and regalia.
I am sure I can figure out how to make the apron and the yoke and put designs on them. Problem is, I don't know how to attach the fringe. Anyone have any suggestions, tips, or websites I can check out?
Also, what basic accessories go with the grass dance outfit?
I may keep him in grass dance as a toddler and then when he can make his own decision, let him decide what dance he wants to do. Though, we're Lipan Apache and I know that grass dance is a plains thing...but I think little tiny grass dancers are cute.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
tindi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-2008, 12:30 PM   #2
dancinfancy

dancinfancy has a reputation beyond reputedancinfancy has a reputation beyond reputedancinfancy has a reputation beyond reputedancinfancy has a reputation beyond reputedancinfancy has a reputation beyond reputedancinfancy has a reputation beyond reputedancinfancy has a reputation beyond reputedancinfancy has a reputation beyond reputedancinfancy has a reputation beyond reputedancinfancy has a reputation beyond reputedancinfancy has a reputation beyond reputedancinfancy has a reputation beyond reputedancinfancy has a reputation beyond reputedancinfancy has a reputation beyond reputedancinfancy has a reputation beyond reputedancinfancy has a reputation beyond repute
Savings: 1.00
I went through this last year with my infant son. What I done was I made an apron and side tabs and sewed them to a pair of pants/shorts that had an elastic waist. As for the top a just made a cape. You can attach the ribbon a couple of ways you can do it the same way you do shawl fringe or you can sew it on. As for accessories I would just make a headband to go with it and leave it at that, they're not really old enough to hold anything and just as he gets older add the things he will need for the style you choice for him.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:59 PM   #3
Pow Wow Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancinfancy View Post
I went through this last year with my infant son. What I done was I made an apron and side tabs and sewed them to a pair of pants/shorts that had an elastic waist. As for the top a just made a cape. You can attach the ribbon a couple of ways you can do it the same way you do shawl fringe or you can sew it on. As for accessories I would just make a headband to go with it and leave it at that, they're not really old enough to hold anything and just as he gets older add the things he will need for the style you choice for him.
I don't know how to attach shawl fringe either.

Thanks for the tips, though!
Old 01-23-2008, 01:14 PM   #4
dancinfancy

dancinfancy has a reputation beyond reputedancinfancy has a reputation beyond reputedancinfancy has a reputation beyond reputedancinfancy has a reputation beyond reputedancinfancy has a reputation beyond reputedancinfancy has a reputation beyond reputedancinfancy has a reputation beyond reputedancinfancy has a reputation beyond reputedancinfancy has a reputation beyond reputedancinfancy has a reputation beyond reputedancinfancy has a reputation beyond reputedancinfancy has a reputation beyond reputedancinfancy has a reputation beyond reputedancinfancy has a reputation beyond reputedancinfancy has a reputation beyond reputedancinfancy has a reputation beyond repute
You poke a hole in the fabric and tey make needles for fringe to thread the fringe through then you just tie it in a knot in the fringe close to the fabric. I do make outfits for people so if you decide you would rather have someone else do it just let me know. I hope this helps.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:11 PM   #5
Pow Wow Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancinfancy View Post
You poke a hole in the fabric and tey make needles for fringe to thread the fringe through then you just tie it in a knot in the fringe close to the fabric. I do make outfits for people so if you decide you would rather have someone else do it just let me know. I hope this helps.
Yes that helps a lot! Thanks. I think I can figure it out. I have been sewing since I was 5, just never did anything with fringe.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:46 PM   #6
dancinfancy

That sounds like me, I've been sewing that long. Glad I could help and good luck.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:09 PM   #7
Northern Tradish

danceman457 is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 767.30
Savings: 23.80
Lightbulb

ok me and a buddy of mine worked together on his and what we did was we had a peice of sting and we done what is know in boy scouts as a larks head and looped the yarn over the string and we had a couple of feet of this done and we cut it up to fit is outfit and and stiched it on he done all of his beadwork on his own and really he doesnt carry anything when he dances but you may want to make a small set of bells the pattern for them you can find any where but now can you help me out i want to make a set for another friend of mine who really love to grass dance and he doent really have much money and he is going though some family prablems as well and i want to make it and give it to him as a present because i dont charge for my work but after makeing a tradtional set and a fancy set to give away i have run out of color combinations what you guys think are some good combos?
Old 01-31-2008, 09:47 PM   #8
pow-wow mommy

mirandav is an unknown quantity at this point
i also found this thread to be a big help. my son is two and will be making his debut in the circle this year. thanks for all the help!
mirandav is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2008, 12:53 PM   #9
Tiny Tot Dancer

DancingCreek has a spectacular aura about
Credits: 470.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by danceman457 View Post
ok me and a buddy of mine worked together on his and what we did was we had a peice of sting and we done what is know in boy scouts as a larks head and looped the yarn over the string and we had a couple of feet of this done and we cut it up to fit is outfit and and stiched it on he done all of his beadwork on his own and really he doesnt carry anything when he dances but you may want to make a small set of bells the pattern for them you can find any where but now can you help me out i want to make a set for another friend of mine who really love to grass dance and he doent really have much money and he is going though some family prablems as well and i want to make it and give it to him as a present because i dont charge for my work but after makeing a tradtional set and a fancy set to give away i have run out of color combinations what you guys think are some good combos?
The method described here is how I put the fringe on my sons regalia. This was after I had made 3 and tired different ways of attaching fringe. This method worked the best by far and it also really looks good when done this way!
Old 02-07-2008, 04:07 PM   #10
Pow Wow Visitor

tukisha is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 1,695.98
This was written a few years ago, I hope you can get to this. I printed this out at the time she wrote it.

http://www.powwows.com/gathering/gra...ancer-out.html
tukisha is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-07-2008, 11:59 PM   #11
FANMAKR

spottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond repute
spottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 819.61
A good trick that I picked up if you are using ribbon for fringe is to wrap the ribbon around a piece of wood or cardboard that is your desired length. I mark the center with a marker on both sides of the cardboard. Slip a piece of heat bond light a 1/2" or so wide under your ribbon, then fold it over top of the ribbon and iron it. Cut your ribbon on the center line on the opposite side. Remove your cardboard and iron the back of your heat bond. Cut your heatbond in half with the ribbon inside. Now you have two sections of ribbon fringe that have heat bond on the one end. After you get enough to go all the way around just sandwich the ribbon between your front material and your backing iron it together and sew it up. That's how I did my tradish outfit and my daughter's fancy shawl, and how I plan to do my both of my sons' fancy outfits. For the mine and my sons outfits I use 1/8" and 1/4 inch ribbon. For my daughter's shawl I used 5/8" and 3/8" ribbon.

When I did my son's grass set a few years back I used yarn. Stretching a piece of base cord between the legs of the ironing board that I turned upside down. It took a while, but it looked good. All depends on the look you are after. I know with the yarn my son got hot pretty easy. With the ribbon it's not as hot because it doesn't trap your body heat as much.

https://www.facebook.com/SpottedeagleFans

Last edited by spottedeagle; 02-08-2008 at 12:01 AM..
spottedeagle is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-05-2008, 04:37 PM   #12
Pow Wow Visitor

I finished it!
I decided to use ribbon because a friend told me that when you use yarn, it picks up everything from the ground and it is hard to get it all out of the yarn..and when they're little, the yarn gets full of stuff, so I will wait to make it with yarn.
I experimented with different ways of attaching the ribbon. I also just sewed the apron to the pants. I have never done this before so it isn't wonderful, but I think it's a good first try.
front:

back:
Old 04-05-2008, 06:32 PM   #13
Boogie Monster

sookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond repute
sookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,334.84
Awesome! It's parents like you that make the world a better place for all of us- and I'm serious about that. A lot of people allow themselves to be intimidated and stop short. I can't tell you how many times I've been asked to make something for money - then offered to teach them how to do rather than do it for them - and then had someone walk away disappointed.

You've done a wonderful thing here - take a moment to internalize that.
sookout sh'nob is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-05-2008, 11:32 PM   #14
Northern Tradish

That set is amazing i love the designs for the feathers i hope you dont mind if i copy it for mine? the medicine wheel around the neck is cool to... below is a pic od my buddy i mentioned earlier in his set i help make Photobucket
Old 04-05-2008, 11:58 PM   #15
Pow Wow Visitor

lol, I wouldn't call it amazing...upon close examination there is quite a few mistakes/problems with it....but like I said, never done this before. Thanks for the compliment though.

one thing though, I ran into a lot of problems with my fabric choices. I used flannel for the base fabrics, but the applique fabric is horrible and I had a ton of issues with it. What kinds of fabrics are good for both the base fabrics and the applique?

I have never done applique before either, kinda cheated on this set and just did a zig zag stitch around the edges of the fabric, but I would like to learn good applique skills - but don't know what I'm doing. Any tips?
Old 04-06-2008, 11:58 AM   #16
Northern Tradish

im not the best stich eaither, i had my grandmother do most of mine. Did you take my advice on accessories ? i think a small set of bells and a choker whould but nice maybe some goat fur... im not a grass dancer so i dont know much about what they wear, need to know any think about tradish tho... and i ill tell ya..
Old 04-07-2008, 11:52 AM   #17
Fat Singer

billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
i have made a few kids grass outfits in the past. for a little little kid just get a couple bandanas with designs on them.

fold them diagonal to make a triangle and fold the long corners under and you have a basic yoke shape. just cut a head hole and sew on some ribbon.

for the aprons fold the triangle and cut in 2 halfs so you have 2 big triangles. fold the long points back and sew on the fringe, dont forget a belt loop.

i can knock out one of these in an hour now.
Really smart people who think they are smart.
billyjoejimbob is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-30-2008, 08:38 PM   #18
Pow Wow Visitor

I did more work for his regalia. It's been a while since I had a chance to work on anything.
I still need to make him a ribbon shirt, arm bands and cuffs, side tabs and I need to bead his mocs, but I am going to hold off on the roach for a few years since he'll grow so fast. The other things I can make adjustable (except the mocs, but the bead work on those isn't that big of a deal).
Anyway, I made him a headband with rosette in the front (I attached the whole thing to a bandanna, so it makes everything easier), and I put the eye loop things on there too (detachable). I made him some high topped mocs. Today I made some dance bells and a choker.
Here he is wearing all of it that is done so far (he was a little disgruntled when I took the pics):

Old 12-31-2008, 10:16 AM   #19
Northern Tradish

TOO CUTE! it looks very nice for a first set
Old 12-31-2008, 08:31 PM   #20
the legal plumes lady!

walela49 has a reputation beyond repute
walela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 112.00
omg...how cute is he??? ;) and that chin dimple! luv it

I think that's a perfect outfit for a toddler!

and I think we have the same couch! lol aye
walela49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links