Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Grass Dancing "who Is The Grand Daddy Of Em All" "who Is The Grand Daddy Of Em All"

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-19-2004, 10:55 PM   #41

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
KeWl
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2004, 11:27 PM   #42
Senior Dancer

sltate has a reputation beyond repute
sltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 101.00
Savings: 0.00
Well, if I guess this thread should be about who has lived the perfect life and always made the best decisions instead of who is the ultimate grass dancer who has influenced the dance to where it is now. LOL
My dad is the ultimate, that's how it is when you really care about someone.....they make mistakes, but you know what is in the heart.
Being in the spotlight in the pow wow world is worse than living in a glass house because indian people don't hold back on judging one another. That is one of our downfalls because we are busy pulling one another down instead of lifting each other up. If someone has a gift for dancing, that is a gift they have received from the Creator...he didn't require they live the perfect life to have this gift. Thank goodness for that or we would all be in a sad shape when it comes to expressing our love for our culture through dancing.
sltate is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2004, 03:01 PM   #43
Its qooo man!

NAPEW has a reputation beyond reputeNAPEW has a reputation beyond reputeNAPEW has a reputation beyond reputeNAPEW has a reputation beyond reputeNAPEW has a reputation beyond reputeNAPEW has a reputation beyond reputeNAPEW has a reputation beyond reputeNAPEW has a reputation beyond reputeNAPEW has a reputation beyond reputeNAPEW has a reputation beyond reputeNAPEW has a reputation beyond reputeNAPEW has a reputation beyond reputeNAPEW has a reputation beyond reputeNAPEW has a reputation beyond reputeNAPEW has a reputation beyond reputeNAPEW has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Jonathon Windy Boy and Kenny Scabby Robe get my vote 2. These guys are the real grand daddiez. They blew everyone out of the water when they danced. Tru Dat man! :explode: For you haters learn the moves and stop flapping your jelous toungues.
NAPEW is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-23-2004, 12:54 PM   #44
*Graceless Grass Dancer*

Dancin by the bay is a jewel in the rough
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAPEW
Jonathon Windy Boy and Kenny Scabby Robe get my vote 2. These guys are the real grand daddiez. They blew everyone out of the water when they danced. Tru Dat man! :explode: For you haters learn the moves and stop flapping your jelous toungues.
We're in agreement on some thing for a change nap.

:Argue

Dancin by the bay is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-23-2004, 01:33 PM   #45
Banned

quicksilverwade is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwehnzii
I could only understand pieces of previous posts. I kind of get it though. I had to read it several times. This new language is hard to decipher. What is it called. Ebonics or something like that?

I'm not (haha) dissing you. I'm just old.
It's not a new language. I remember growing up in Rosemead, California during the early seventies. This language evolves around toddlers that have a hard time speaking. Everybody should know: SANGWICH, DA TRUF, PASGETTI, BABY SUIT. Standards have been set but when others don't abide by the standards they become rebels. The Dakota/Lakota Sioux have experience with rebels and we called them the Assiniboine. Which isn't a bad thing, we just have to gather up the Ebonic-boines so that they can start their own tribe with their own language and customs.
quicksilverwade is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-24-2004, 08:02 PM   #46
Red Menace

Nakoda man is on a distinguished road
Ladies :duel12: ladies calm down will ya, allways off topic on my threads.
Nakoda man is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2004, 06:47 PM   #47
Tiny Tot Dancer

Mestizawoman is on a distinguished road
Wink

Johnathan Windyboy gets my vote. That be one fine specimen of a dancer.
Mestizawoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2004, 07:23 PM   #48
plains n8tv

tradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond repute
tradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond repute
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverwade
The Dakota/Lakota Sioux have experience with rebels and we called them the Assiniboine. Which isn't a bad thing, we just have to gather up the Ebonic-boines so that they can start their own tribe with their own language and customs.

hhhmmm....what do you mean by "rebels" called the Assiniboine? You referring to Fort Peck or Fort Belknap Assiniboines?

...never underestimate the power of stupid people in groups...

If quizzes are "quizical"...What are tests?
tradish_wiyan is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2004, 07:54 PM   #49
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradish_wiyan
hhhmmm....what do you mean by "rebels" called the Assiniboine? You referring to Fort Peck or Fort Belknap Assiniboines?
I apologize for bringing up the Assiniboines as rebels but according to our stories, this is what it is based on:

5. Nicknames of the Assiniboine

a. Within their own tribe
i. ***íseeíneeípoiítuc - those who cook with stones
ii. Nakota - the allies or the people

b. Among other tribes
i. Hohe-rebels - called by the Sioux
ii. Stonies - called by the Canadians because Assiniboine cook with stones

Last edited by quicksilverwade; 03-25-2004 at 07:56 PM..
Old 03-25-2004, 08:17 PM   #50
Red Menace

Nakoda man is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverwade
I apologize for bringing up the Assiniboines as rebels but according to our stories, this is what it is based on:

5. Nicknames of the Assiniboine

a. Within their own tribe
i. ***íseeíneeípoiítuc - those who cook with stones
ii. Nakota - the allies or the people

b. Among other tribes
i. Hohe-rebels - called by the Sioux
ii. Stonies - called by the Canadians because Assiniboine cook with stones
Dang rights, the term nakoda means in our tougne "the one who kills" meaning reason why the the nakoda branced out from the Dakotas is because of deadly epademic small pox and chicken pox, yes they fled this horrific sickness that was killing our ppl in the dozens, and along there way to going to the west they encountered the Crees which were great alies with them but coming apon the rocky mountains which were orginally inhabit by the blackfoots and kootnays, the nakodas being the war like ppl that they were drove these ppl out which was no contest and they settle in there, and at last the whiteman when they first encountered us to sign treaty 7, they label us stonies" ppl that lived along the stones" meaning the rocky mountains.
Nakoda man is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2004, 09:06 PM   #51
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakoda man
Dang rights, the term nakoda means in our tougne "the one who kills" meaning reason why the the nakoda branced out from the Dakotas is because of deadly epademic small pox and chicken pox, yes they fled this horrific sickness that was killing our ppl in the dozens, and along there way to going to the west they encountered the Crees which were great alies with them but coming apon the rocky mountains which were orginally inhabit by the blackfoots and kootnays, the nakodas being the war like ppl that they were drove these ppl out which was no contest and they settle in there, and at last the whiteman when they first encountered us to sign treaty 7, they label us stonies" ppl that lived along the stones" meaning the rocky mountains.
Nakoda Man, You've got the knowledge in your blood and I respect that. In my eyes the Assiniboine are not rebels.
Old 03-26-2004, 04:38 AM   #52
~JaMmIn' JiNgLeR~

kiowa-apache-girl is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

Jonathan Windy Boy & Kenny Scabby Robe
Old 03-26-2004, 02:36 PM   #53
*Graceless Grass Dancer*

Thumbs up

Quote:
Dayum that cool nakoda. interestin.

Old 03-26-2004, 04:06 PM   #54
plains n8tv

tradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond repute
tradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
hey cool...thanks for the info. :)

Old 03-26-2004, 04:11 PM   #55
plains n8tv

Quote:
and duhh this is the grass threads,. tradish ia a woman, "wiyan" means woman in lakota if i'm correct.

Yes I am a woman, and I don't recall reading anywhere that a woman can't post in the grass dance threads. So, only a mans opinion counts in the grass dance threads? i don't think so. :Eyebrows

Old 03-26-2004, 05:12 PM   #56
Pork chopsh n appleshaush

Dezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by sltate
The fact that he is an excellent dancer, singer and representative for his tribe and his state only adds to his personality and strength as a person.

He taught those that are interested in it that there is a ceremony that goes with it, that it is more than just a dance.
~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~~*

Greatness at its best.... :rating10: :clap: :dancer:.

~ Ah nech me hewet ~ :49:
Dezgn8veDriver is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-2004, 01:44 PM   #57
*Graceless Grass Dancer*

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezgn8veDriver
~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~~*

Greatness at its best.... :rating10: :clap: :dancer:.
lucky chap to have you on his side dez8.

:rtf:

:Thumbs
Old 04-04-2004, 01:38 PM   #58
Pow Wow Visitor

Ree is an unknown quantity at this point
If you mean by Grand Daddy he....

He kept grass dance alive. He has danced it from day one. He has alway's been a grass dancer, he never switched to fancy like a lot of these names you have listed, Jonathan included. He belongs to grass dance societies. He holds a position in these grass dance socities. He knows the traditions involved in grass dance and last but not least he knows the songs associated with the grass dance.

Well you would be talking about Wade Baker, New Town, ND.

You talking about winnest grass dancer, that would Jonathan, hands down. I mean there was a stretch there in the 80's where he didn't lose for years.
Ree is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-05-2004, 02:09 PM   #59
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,584.70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ree
He kept grass dance alive. He has danced it from day one. He has alway's been a grass dancer, he never switched to fancy like a lot of these names you have listed, Jonathan included. He belongs to grass dance societies. He holds a position in these grass dance socities. He knows the traditions involved in grass dance and last but not least he knows the songs associated with the grass dance.

Well you would be talking about Wade Baker, New Town, ND.

You talking about winnest grass dancer, that would Jonathan, hands down. I mean there was a stretch there in the 80's where he didn't lose for years.
_______

Ree,

Thank you for your post. You know how grass dancing interest declined in the 1960's. Wade and the late Dean Fox both kept Grass Dancing alive. So props to you!

Jonathan took Grass Dancin' to another level. After fancy dancing in his youth, he travelled far and wide as a champion that was almost unbeatable. Agreed... he is the the winning ness grass dancer of the contest era!
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-05-2004, 03:19 PM   #60
Pow Wow Visitor

Ree is an unknown quantity at this point
I would agree that Dean was very knowledgeable, but he switched to fancy for a period of time, than came to his senses. :) He was a charter member of the Eagle Whistle drum group, which was one of first young men drum groups on the circut up this way, and an all around nice guy.

I don't know that grass dance interest died down in the 60's, it was just the next phase. Everyone wanted to dance fast and furious. Hell, back in those days, there were two catergories up this way, men's and women's. People switched to fancy because it was the next phase, kind of like you see people switching to Chicken Dance now.
Ree is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links