Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Grass Dancing "who Is The Grand Daddy Of Em All" "who Is The Grand Daddy Of Em All"

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2004, 04:47 PM   #61
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,584.70
Savings: 0.00
Ree:

Do any of the three affiliated tribes still have active grass dance societies?
____

When the Eagle Whistles first came out I thought they would rule! They seemed to have a lot of well known and established singers. They were in Washington D.C. for the opening of the Smithsonian Catlin Painting Exhibit. They still have a good sound. Was Merle Tendoy an original member?
Billy is now the lead singer. Was he the lead singer when they first started?
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-07-2004, 06:26 PM   #62
Kootsaakiiyi'taa

Soohkiisimsstaan has a reputation beyond reputeSoohkiisimsstaan has a reputation beyond reputeSoohkiisimsstaan has a reputation beyond reputeSoohkiisimsstaan has a reputation beyond reputeSoohkiisimsstaan has a reputation beyond reputeSoohkiisimsstaan has a reputation beyond reputeSoohkiisimsstaan has a reputation beyond reputeSoohkiisimsstaan has a reputation beyond reputeSoohkiisimsstaan has a reputation beyond reputeSoohkiisimsstaan has a reputation beyond reputeSoohkiisimsstaan has a reputation beyond reputeSoohkiisimsstaan has a reputation beyond reputeSoohkiisimsstaan has a reputation beyond reputeSoohkiisimsstaan has a reputation beyond reputeSoohkiisimsstaan has a reputation beyond reputeSoohkiisimsstaan has a reputation beyond reputeSoohkiisimsstaan has a reputation beyond reputeSoohkiisimsstaan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Wink big dogs/little dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedNdN
What's the chance of a womenizing grand daddy changing his way? Anyone care to take a quess? Pride and honor is a daily life value not just for occasion or when wearing dance regalia. A few of these grand daddys are just old and good at talking in the wind so why do we place them on a pedestal?
YOU CAN'T TEACH AN OLD DOG NEW TRICKS. Of course, you can still neuter them......... :flaming: :guns: :Naughty :curtainca
Soohkiisimsstaan is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-08-2004, 11:26 AM   #63
Pow Wow Visitor

Ree is an unknown quantity at this point
Oh yeah....

All three tribes have the rights to the grass dance. The Hidasta and Arikara still have active societies. While many of us have Mandan blood, there is not a full blooded Mandan alive today, but the Nu' eta' still own the right.

The original Eagle Whistles were a bunch of young local boys from Mandaree, ND. When they came on the scene in the 70's they were in their teens and were the first "young" drum group in this area. Original members were the late Dean Fox, the late Jr Bearstail, Alex Guinn, Jr Driver, Ronnie Smith, Murphy Sitting Crow and Wade Baker sang lead for them. I am forgetting some guys. When they started hitting it big on the circut, Seymour Eagle Speaker, Billy Runs Above, Eldon Weasel Child, the Buffalo Calf brothers, Mister Baker, Ross Wise Spirit, Jr Thunderhawk all sang with them at different times.

When Billy passed away, all the Baker's went and started singing with Mandaree. Billy Runs Above took the Eagle Whistle drum and started traveling with it. They made a CD a few years ago, at Crow Fair. Wade and Seymour were singing with them. Sounds pretty snitz!!!
Ree is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-08-2004, 02:36 PM   #64
*Graceless Grass Dancer*

Dancin by the bay is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ree
All three tribes have the rights to the grass dance. The Hidasta and Arikara still have active societies. While many of us have Mandan blood, there is not a full blooded Mandan alive today, but the Nu' eta' still own the right.

The original Eagle Whistles were a bunch of young local boys from Mandaree, ND. When they came on the scene in the 70's they were in their teens and were the first "young" drum group in this area. Original members were the late Dean Fox, the late Jr Bearstail, Alex Guinn, Jr Driver, Ronnie Smith, Murphy Sitting Crow and Wade Baker sang lead for them. I am forgetting some guys. When they started hitting it big on the circut, Seymour Eagle Speaker, Billy Runs Above, Eldon Weasel Child, the Buffalo Calf brothers, Mister Baker, Ross Wise Spirit, Jr Thunderhawk all sang with them at different times.

When Billy passed away, all the Baker's went and started singing with Mandaree. Billy Runs Above took the Eagle Whistle drum and started traveling with it. They made a CD a few years ago, at Crow Fair. Wade and Seymour were singing with them. Sounds pretty snitz!!!
cool history is the cd crow fair?
Dancin by the bay is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-08-2004, 03:16 PM   #65
Pow Wow Visitor

Ree is an unknown quantity at this point
Eagle Whistle at Crow Fair

I think. I can't find it right now.
Ree is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-15-2004, 05:36 PM   #66
Teen Dancer

nativemom has a reputation beyond repute
nativemom has a reputation beyond reputenativemom has a reputation beyond reputenativemom has a reputation beyond reputenativemom has a reputation beyond reputenativemom has a reputation beyond reputenativemom has a reputation beyond reputenativemom has a reputation beyond reputenativemom has a reputation beyond reputenativemom has a reputation beyond reputenativemom has a reputation beyond reputenativemom has a reputation beyond reputenativemom has a reputation beyond reputenativemom has a reputation beyond reputenativemom has a reputation beyond reputenativemom has a reputation beyond reputenativemom has a reputation beyond reputenativemom has a reputation beyond reputenativemom has a reputation beyond reputenativemom has a reputation beyond repute
who knows

nativemom is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-15-2004, 05:56 PM   #67
Teen Dancer

nativemom has a reputation beyond reputenativemom has a reputation beyond reputenativemom has a reputation beyond reputenativemom has a reputation beyond reputenativemom has a reputation beyond reputenativemom has a reputation beyond reputenativemom has a reputation beyond reputenativemom has a reputation beyond reputenativemom has a reputation beyond reputenativemom has a reputation beyond reputenativemom has a reputation beyond reputenativemom has a reputation beyond reputenativemom has a reputation beyond reputenativemom has a reputation beyond reputenativemom has a reputation beyond reputenativemom has a reputation beyond reputenativemom has a reputation beyond reputenativemom has a reputation beyond reputenativemom has a reputation beyond repute
who knows

Most all grass dancing societies are defunct. I recognize that there are alot of long time dancers in this catagory. There is still some societies that are active but secretive and ceremonial and this is great. Most of us just see modern pow wow life or present-day dancers. The Grandaddies are long gone but we still have our heroes like Dean P. Fox and Jonathon Windyboy. These men are true leaders of the way we should carry ourselves and keep the respect and honor of the dance. Have a heart for one another and we all have our champions.
Old 04-15-2004, 07:05 PM   #68
Teen Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ree
I would agree that Dean was very knowledgeable, but he switched to fancy for a period of time, than came to his senses. :) He was a charter member of the Eagle Whistle drum group, which was one of first young men drum groups on the circut up this way, and an all around nice guy.

I don't know that grass dance interest died down in the 60's, it was just the next phase. Everyone wanted to dance fast and furious. Hell, back in those days, there were two catergories up this way, men's and women's. People switched to fancy because it was the next phase, kind of like you see people switching to Chicken Dance now.

Dean never did switch to fancy. He was always grass. And as for the original Eagle Whistles they are Dean Fox, Saunders Bearstail, Jr., Harriet Bearstail-Goodiron, and Theola Fox. Those are the original singers. From there they added local Fort Berthold singers.

Last edited by nativemom; 04-15-2004 at 07:10 PM.. Reason: Just wanted to add something
Old 04-16-2004, 11:44 AM   #69
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,584.70
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativemom
Dean never did switch to fancy. He was always grass. And as for the original Eagle Whistles they are Dean Fox, Saunders Bearstail, Jr., Harriet Bearstail-Goodiron, and Theola Fox. Those are the original singers. From there they added local Fort Berthold singers.
___

nativem:

Thank you for the update. It is always good to know the origins of how things came to be. You provided so much clarification to the origin of the Eagle Whistles.

I had a chance to talk to Dean before he passed away, at United Tribes. Mostly teasing and such, but I always wanted to offer him tobacco in order to learn.

To me, Jr. Bearstail will always be one of my favorite grass dancers of all time. He was in my favorite grass dance tie of all time: at Sioux Valley, him, Wade and Jonathan were all in top form and danced off. Toooooo Smmmmoooth!
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-14-2004, 02:54 PM   #70
ndncookies

ndncookies is an unknown quantity at this point
kewl thread, those be my favz: wade, dean and jon! can't beat the ol style. I like some of the contemp but some of it's way outta hand, slidin around like they're in an mtv video!!!
ndncookies is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-19-2004, 09:30 PM   #71
Red Menace

Nakoda man is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndncookies
kewl thread, those be my favz: wade, dean and jon! can't beat the ol style. I like some of the contemp but some of it's way outta hand, slidin around like they're in an mtv video!!!
lol and do the jamican run from sean pauls videos..nahh just joking but its healthy for the spirit to lighten up and lean towards the future and focus on the present. but much props to the great grassers who pass on to the spirit world and the ones that are still with us who continue to be awesome role models to peeps like me. aho

Last edited by Nakoda man; 05-19-2004 at 09:36 PM..
Nakoda man is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-31-2004, 01:49 AM   #72
Tiny Tot Dancer

little-ree will become famous soon enough
Ree-u got it right!!!!!My gramps wuz full mandan but he passed away b4 I wuz born. U still hear lotta hidatsa and some ree talk but not mandan. There's nothin like Old Style Grass & The BakerBoyz got the goods on what grass danzin's all about. My pics definately my bro-in law Wade Baker and man! he's got the moves of a true grassdancer. He knows what the dance is really about!4All who member him in the old Dayz he had style all his own. Change his outfit &ud still know it waz him by thway he kicked it uP!Don't c2 much of the old style now dayz except in the last of the guys who R still kikn it old style-true grass-Mr. Baker, Jonathan Windy Boy, and late-jr.Bearstail. Ucan still see a little bit of the ol'style in their boyz, like my nephew Darnell Baker. Ucan see a lotta Wade in his moves.
little-ree is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-01-2004, 04:49 PM   #73
Red Menace

True players for real,..dees grand masters who domonate the arbor circle wherever they dance,..much love,..much love ,i salute and bow in honor,..peace and stank ya fo all da replies,..stank ya
Old 07-01-2004, 06:40 PM   #74
Tiny Tot Dancer

SiouxWoman is on a distinguished road
Grand Daddy?

I came in here to check it out...I thought you all were going to post which grass dancer had the most children, hehe. Or the ones still having children.

Chun....you meant something else!
SiouxWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-09-2004, 06:34 PM   #75
Tiny Tot Dancer

luvsbrownsugars is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiouxWoman
I came in here to check it out...I thought you all were going to post which grass dancer had the most children, hehe. Or the ones still having children.

That is an interesting question. Ask Educated NDN sounds like he knows of a few.

Last edited by luvsbrownsugars; 03-21-2005 at 06:48 PM..
luvsbrownsugars is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-09-2004, 07:33 PM   #76
Red Menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiouxWoman

lmao..dats funny didn't thought of it that way,

Last edited by Nakoda man; 03-14-2005 at 11:20 PM..
Old 11-19-2004, 07:34 PM   #77
cherokee_grassdance9

cherokee_grassdance9 is on a distinguished road
Credits: 458.33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin by the bay
Who is WTF tradish? I think the grand daddys are Jonathon Windyboy, Kenney Scabbeyrobe, Wade baker, Shane Omaeso. I can remember seein these champs dance when I was a teen ager and man thats what made me want to be dancin grass. Well that and my dad's influenence. These guys were rockin back in the olden days.

:Thumbs

:Cooler
lol wtf is what the f****
cherokee_grassdance9 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-21-2004, 01:54 AM   #78
Pow Wow Visitor

maincatch_04 is an unknown quantity at this point
The greatest of em all would have to be the one and only
Ron McNab. Because he kicked butt back in the day and he is still kickin butt.
maincatch_04 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-23-2005, 06:44 PM   #79
Hokaaah Grassin'

jumpingbuffalo is a jewel in the rough
Hey all, yeah this is a funny yet honorsome thread, I can't see how I haven't posted mah notes yet. k. hmm.
I was raised by my Uncle Dean P. Fox of Mandaree, No. Dak. I traveled w/ the Eagle Whistles, my mom is Theola Fox the youngest of the 15 Fox kids via the legendary Gramma Grace & Guy Fox. Theola can sing to, hokaaah. They all sang & danced w/ a tremendously beautiful love of life & the celebration of it (pw).

Umma Say. Dean, Jonathan, Wade, Sidrick, Ron, Darryl.

BD is good yeah I've seen'em stomp hard.

Wesley Windyboy is just straight awesome. There are so many younger but truly outstanding grassers, Rusty, Lakota, Manny & Troy Sheppard, Darnell, Julius, Terrance, Darryl Bearstail, Loren Walkinhawk, etc etc, I got no time to name all my bro's and frens, but yeah Montana, No Dak, Canofduh/Canada, So. Dak., Wyomin', Washindon, Idaho.

Then all the other tribes that've picked up POWWOW and are now excelling at it in the Southwest, on the East Coast, Cali etc, who know's maybe we'll go worldwide.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:51 PM   #80
Eastern Blanket Dancer

Items Treasure Chest
bahnisiain has a reputation beyond repute
bahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,722.75
Savings: 1.00
I have always felt Jonathan Windy Boy was one of the granddads of grass. he still has some great moves.

bahnisiain is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links