Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Should they allow Women to dance grass?
YES 15 32.61%
NO 16 34.78%
unsure 3 6.52%
depending 12 26.09%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Grass Dancing Women Dancing Grass????? Women Dancing Grass?????

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-26-2005, 11:37 PM   #1
She Who Plays with Wolves

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Apache_Fancy_Shawl is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Question Women Dancing Grass?????

I Know We have been thro this a million times.
What is your opinion, Should they allow female Grass Dancers?
And why or why not?
If hey allow Female Grass Dancers where at?
I know we have female hoop dancers, whats he differance?
Would someone jus le me know PLEASE
And tonight itís only you and me
Apache_Fancy_Shawl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2005, 03:12 AM   #2
Pow Wow Visitor

KP HOOD is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 210.00
If We Change Traditions Just To Meet Our Own Wants
And The Next Generation Follows And The Next And So On Then We Have Changed Who We Are. Why Twist The Ways That Have Kept Us Together Through Times That Would Have Ended Any Other Culture? We Should Be Proud Of Way We Were Created. And Should Honor The Ones Who Died To Keep Our Ways. Even If We Borrow Those Ways From Another Tribe, People Have Died For Those Ways And Who Are We To Change Them Just Because We Feel Like It.

But What Do I Know Im Just A Pitiful Human Being
KP HOOD is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2005, 03:33 AM   #3
Fancy Schmancy Dancer

MissFancyChick is a glorious beacon of light
Location: formerly in Seattle, now i live in Eastern Washington on the Colville Rez
Credits: 250.00
jus somethin to think about....

i read about it in a book "The Grass Dancer" forgot the author, but i thought it was interesting...

i have switch danced a few times, but wouldnt grass for a whole powwow... not that i dont kick ***... hahaaha

Last edited by MissFancyChick; 09-27-2005 at 03:35 AM.. Reason: Spelling
MissFancyChick is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2005, 01:26 PM   #4

Lightbulb think about this 4 a moment

After attending sevral Fl. Pow-Wows, I have noted, we have young men wanting to learn
how to Grass Dance, but do to Military service and getting injured and having to live the white man's
world part of the time, we have NO Grass Dancer's left. BUT we have sevral Fancy Shawl Dancer's
who know a lot about the Grass Dance, the history and moves. If we lose all of our Grass dancing men
to the Military, who will teach the young boys? or are the Grass Dancer's going to be gone for good?
if anyhing, Women should have at least the right to teach the younger boys, with premion from an Elder.
even if they are aloud that, it would be at least a way to keep the grass dance alive. I would not care if
a woman had the right given to her to dance in the circle, but at least give her he right to teach the younger
children.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:01 PM   #5
Fancy Schmancy Dancer

MissFancyChick is a glorious beacon of light
Location: formerly in Seattle, now i live in Eastern Washington on the Colville Rez
Credits: 250.00
The book is by Susan Power... its a great book !!
Old 10-20-2005, 12:35 PM   #6
Teen Dancer

musicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond repute
naw its just not a thing to do....its like a woman wearing mens pants ...okay thats a poor anaology but ya get the drift...*lol* but im just saying its a mens dance and should stay that way...its like a man wearing a jingle dress...now that aint right
musicedu77 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-07-2005, 06:19 PM   #7
Teen Dancer

fancy_shawls_225 has a reputation beyond repute
fancy_shawls_225 has a reputation beyond reputefancy_shawls_225 has a reputation beyond reputefancy_shawls_225 has a reputation beyond reputefancy_shawls_225 has a reputation beyond reputefancy_shawls_225 has a reputation beyond reputefancy_shawls_225 has a reputation beyond reputefancy_shawls_225 has a reputation beyond reputefancy_shawls_225 has a reputation beyond reputefancy_shawls_225 has a reputation beyond repute
I wanted to learn Grass, but was told I couldn't. But I heard of woman, a yoiung woman who is a drumkeeper on the west coast in Canada. Htere never has beena woman's drunkeepr there before i don't think, but it was the only way to keep tradition alive. i don't know. I wanted to dance grass ever since I was little. But I dance fancy shawl. I didn't say much, just what I heard, keep traditions alive. There are a lot of grass dancers here in Canada. well, form where I am from anyways.
fancy_shawls_225 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-07-2005, 06:21 PM   #8
Teen Dancer

fancy_shawls_225 has a reputation beyond repute
fancy_shawls_225 has a reputation beyond reputefancy_shawls_225 has a reputation beyond reputefancy_shawls_225 has a reputation beyond reputefancy_shawls_225 has a reputation beyond reputefancy_shawls_225 has a reputation beyond reputefancy_shawls_225 has a reputation beyond reputefancy_shawls_225 has a reputation beyond reputefancy_shawls_225 has a reputation beyond reputefancy_shawls_225 has a reputation beyond repute
Ingor my last posts typos...

I wanted to learn Grass, but was told I couldn't. But I heard of woman, a young woman who is a drumkeeper on the west coast in Canada. There never has been a woman's drumkeeper there before i don't think, but it was the only way to keep tradition alive. i don't know. I wanted to dance grass ever since I was little. But I dance fancy shawl.

I didn't say much, just what I heard, keep traditions alive. There are a lot of grass dancers here in Canada. well, form where I am from anyways.
fancy_shawls_225 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-08-2006, 12:27 PM   #9
Peaceeagle

Peaceeagle is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache_Fancy_Shawl
After attending sevral Fl. Pow-Wows, I have noted, we have young men wanting to learn
how to Grass Dance, but do to Military service and getting injured and having to live the white man's
world part of the time, we have NO Grass Dancer's left. BUT we have sevral Fancy Shawl Dancer's
who know a lot about the Grass Dance, the history and moves. If we lose all of our Grass dancing men
to the Military, who will teach the young boys? or are the Grass Dancer's going to be gone for good?
if anyhing, Women should have at least the right to teach the younger boys, with premion from an Elder.
even if they are aloud that, it would be at least a way to keep the grass dance alive. I would not care if
a woman had the right given to her to dance in the circle, but at least give her he right to teach the younger
children.
I would Like to say that I admire your Passion To keep the Grass dance alive in florida. But it Is a Mens/boys Dance. Ihave taught many Boys Up here In Missouri How to dance. and I would be More Than Happy To come down there to help out in anyway pssible with The younger generation. But The Only thing Keeping Me back Is The money To Travle the food and lodging. if someone can help me out with That i will Be More Than Happy To go and teach.I fou want you can Contact me at [email protected]
Peaceeagle is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-08-2006, 08:26 PM   #10
hey hey hey

nightwalker7 is a jewel in the rough
yea

i know of one female grass dancer shes pretty good and the only reason she dances it is this, it is where her heart is at. she got prem. from elders to do it and she kicks***
lil josh
nightwalker7 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-08-2006, 02:38 PM   #11
Pow Wow Visitor

kitkehahki_grass24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Location: Nomad - Pawnee BadLands (South of the Dakotas and North of Mexico)
Traditions

Nawa! Che'sikik,
There is no tradition that says only men/boys are Grass Dancers. The origins of the Grass Dance are unknown but some think from traditional dances of the Omaha and others say it is a version of the Pawnee Hot Dance. There were woman in both traditional dances of the Omaha and Pawnee that have ties to the contemporary Grass Style. There are no set roles in pow-wow dancing it is diverse in each tribe.

Kit'Chiit'tawakki, Kitkehahki Band, Pawnee
kitkehahki_grass24 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-08-2006, 05:03 PM   #12
Drummer and Dancer

Brackett481 is an unknown quantity at this point
I am a grass dancer. it is the only style I have ever really danced. Here in Aabama, there is at least one lady grass dancer that I know personally. She was asked to dance by an elder, and she asked her elders for permission before she even began her regalia. I know that she only dances when there is a male dancer in the circle, and she askes permission from the dancers and AD before she enters. I do not have a problem with this because she is young, and being taught the propper way.
Brackett481 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2006, 04:39 PM   #13
Southern Echo Singers

GROUND POUNDER is an unknown quantity at this point
I too beleive women should be able to grass dance. No one says anything to a woman hoop dancer and it came from the grass dance. I beleive if she can pray on that circle and to grandfather why not give her the right to dance grass. My daughter was ask by her elder to dance grass because she feels that she gives her good medicine every time she is out there with me. And yes this is my daughter that dances grass in honor of me and her grandmother. I am a grass dancer also
GROUND POUNDER is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2006, 08:45 PM   #14
Teen Dancer

tsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,027.94
wait..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissFancyChick
The book is by Susan Power... its a great book !!
Ain't that the "STOP THE INSANITY!" woman from the early 90's?

tsuj510 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2006, 08:55 PM   #15
Teen Dancer

tsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,027.94
another thought...

ct

Last edited by tsuj510; 02-23-2009 at 03:55 AM.. Reason: ,.
tsuj510 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2006, 09:17 PM   #16
Pow Wow Visitor

mjswimmer1 is a jewel in the rough
Rights to Grass dance

Ok, I understand some peoples view on this subject, but here is a shocker to some of you, in some tribes the women can dance grass if the rights are bought by the family, my mother in law used to dance grass the rights where bought for her by her family, and they have been talking about doing the same for my daughter, my mother in law is Hidatsa, so sorry guys this is not only a mans dance, there are grass dance societies in some tribes, and they are very traditional societies that have been going on for eons. and by the way my daughter incorperates grass dance moves when she fancy shawl and may I say it is wayyyyyyyyyy smooth, dang proud of my baby girl!
mjswimmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2006, 10:10 PM   #17
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

WocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
WocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,094.49
Savings: 1.00
We have a female grass dancer here that is currently a student at the University of Alaska. She is very traditional and is very good. She was the subject of ridicle among some folks down in Anchorage, when she was attending school there. The way her family explained it to me; she was brought into grass dancing the traditional way by a well known grass dancer down in the states. Would it be something I would consider, NO. But I sure love to watch and appreciate the grass dance.
WocusWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2006, 02:28 PM   #18

REZ UNIT is a glorious beacon of light
Location: i live under the moon where the birds fly free where the land meets the sky
We don't have female grass dancers in saskatchewan only a couple timez and that was it , its banned in sask.
and sometimez at powwows outside of sask they make fun of it and their teasing us grass dancers and even in cross overs.
REZ UNIT is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-30-2006, 09:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROUND POUNDER
I too beleive women should be able to grass dance. No one says anything to a woman hoop dancer and it came from the grass dance. I beleive if she can pray on that circle and to grandfather why not give her the right to dance grass. My daughter was ask by her elder to dance grass because she feels that she gives her good medicine every time she is out there with me. And yes this is my daughter that dances grass in honor of me and her grandmother. I am a grass dancer also
very true, and i have meet about 3 women hoop dancers, 1 being champion hoop dancer, she beat the guys, and can really move it. no one said a word of negitivity about her or any of the girls, but i have noticed, if you say woman grass dancer/female grass dancer they all start saying how wrong it is. and as far as I am concerned i agree. if a girl/woman can pray on/in that circle and to grand father, she should be able to
Old 04-02-2006, 05:20 PM   #20
Tha General

DayzieBone will become famous soon enough
oh wow! i wasent aware of that! that is very interesting!
altough i have yet to see or meet a woman grass dancer! maybe soon!
DayzieBone is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links