Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Should they allow Women to dance grass?
YES 15 32.61%
NO 16 34.78%
unsure 3 6.52%
depending 12 26.09%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Grass Dancing Women Dancing Grass????? Women Dancing Grass?????

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2009, 05:46 PM   #61
AnishTradish

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
anishtradish has a reputation beyond reputeanishtradish has a reputation beyond reputeanishtradish has a reputation beyond reputeanishtradish has a reputation beyond reputeanishtradish has a reputation beyond reputeanishtradish has a reputation beyond reputeanishtradish has a reputation beyond reputeanishtradish has a reputation beyond reputeanishtradish has a reputation beyond reputeanishtradish has a reputation beyond reputeanishtradish has a reputation beyond reputeanishtradish has a reputation beyond reputeanishtradish has a reputation beyond reputeanishtradish has a reputation beyond reputeanishtradish has a reputation beyond reputeanishtradish has a reputation beyond reputeanishtradish has a reputation beyond reputeanishtradish has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
We have some killer women grassers around here, mainly just for switch dances though. But there are a few who dance it all the time. I think the majority of the people around here are fine with it, but you still get people talking about them here and there, based on their own judgments and beliefs. My friend dances mens tradition, eagle bustle, roach and all, and I'm always proud to dance with her regardless what anyone says. We have a lot of switch dances around here, and men will even put on jingle dresses, and this is where jingle dresses originated from, so they are our healing dresses for our tribe, but the elders never say anything for switch dances, as long as it is still respected, and danced the right way. Most switch dances people try to clown and be funny rather than seriously try and dance the style. So you see people crossing over every once in a while. Too many people forget to have fun, and take everything so serious, or make up or follow certain strict rules for what they can and can't do, and judge people based on what they personally follow.

It also seems to be easier for women to cross over than guys. You will see a woman grasser here and there, even chicken, and people don't really say much. But if it were a man trying to fancy shawl, seriously other than a switch dance, I think a lot more people would talk and harass. Every year at memorial day, an older man would come from somewhere and dance woman's traditional, and he would wear half of his face as a woman, the other side as a man, which I'm sure he was following some kind of traditional ways from wherever he came from, but people wouldn't stop talking about him and I think that's why you don't see him around this way anymore. Sad when people start to chase people away over different beliefs. Then again Ive always been one to get mad over people going around telling people "you cant do this, you cant do that" "that's not traditional" when these powwows are intertribals, and everyone has different sets of beliefs.

Last edited by anishtradish; 02-12-2009 at 05:52 PM..
anishtradish is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2009, 09:13 PM   #62
Boogie Monster

sookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond repute
sookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,334.84
I know a lot of cross-over guys in our area Anish, but you'd be hard pressed to tell they were guys on the street, never mind in the arena.

We'll save pscyhology, biology, and gender for another day.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:46 PM   #63
Teen Dancer

Kaina1128 has a brilliant futureKaina1128 has a brilliant futureKaina1128 has a brilliant futureKaina1128 has a brilliant futureKaina1128 has a brilliant futureKaina1128 has a brilliant futureKaina1128 has a brilliant futureKaina1128 has a brilliant futureKaina1128 has a brilliant future
Credits: 4,123.81
Savings: 1.00
Deleted

Last edited by Kaina1128; 11-14-2018 at 07:45 PM.. Reason: Deleted
Kaina1128 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-10-2010, 04:55 PM   #64
Eggbagel

Eggbagel has a brilliant futureEggbagel has a brilliant futureEggbagel has a brilliant futureEggbagel has a brilliant futureEggbagel has a brilliant futureEggbagel has a brilliant futureEggbagel has a brilliant futureEggbagel has a brilliant futureEggbagel has a brilliant future
Credits: 0.00
When I was young I was shy. When my family finally got me to start dancing everyone made fun of me because I danced like a man. It was very hard to be shamed every time I tried to dance.

After my mother died I stopped dancing. After my grandmother lost herself to drinking 10 years ago I stopped attending pow wows. I took the fringe off my shawl and used it as a tablecloth.

I am just now at the age of 25 finding my community again. Those of you who think that two spirit people shouldn't be how they were made might look around you one day and find that you have chased your own brothers and sisters away from the circle.
Eggbagel is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links