PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Northern Traditional Dancing (http://forums.powwows.com/f23/)
-   -   Belts, busltes and aprons (http://forums.powwows.com/f23/belts-busltes-aprons-45101/)

marksolomon 05-24-2008 12:31 PM

Belts, busltes and aprons

HI All just a question

I have fully beaded a breech cloth and side aprons (which attach to a belt)

and of course my bustle attched too

Now I have seen guys wearing thick belts like weight lifters do some with with conchos.

Where do you get these?

should I wear a belt with my apron set and buslte and another one of these thicker belts over top?

thanks

looking for opinions please but also where to get the thicker belts

sookout sh'nob 05-24-2008 11:14 PM

Yo! What you want is some strap leather - you can use leather dye to get the strap leather whatever color you want. Nocbay has a kit for a 3" belt. Otherwise you can dig for the parts on the internet (Tandy leather and many saddle shops also sell strap leather and dyes)I have one of these and ti works out pretty good. Some of my conchos eventually broke off, but most have stayed put over the past few years.

danceman457 06-16-2008 03:10 PM

i wear my aprons and tabs on one belt and i have a 4 inch wide belt that attaches to my backboard and bustle it helps to break up the top and bottom and instead of conchos i used rosettes.

tigger 07-01-2008 01:50 AM

what i do is attach my front and back aprons to a backpackers nylon belt then my side tabs are attached to a beaded belt which when put on covers up the nylon belt, and my buslte is attached to a yarn belt that a friend made me.

scottlollar 07-08-2008 04:36 PM

Let's see... when fully suited up, I'm wearing 4 belts, I think? It's a bit extremem, but it works.
I have one belt that I put my leggings on - a small nylon webbing belt.
I have one belt that has aprons and side-tabs on it - it's a standard leather belt with two-prong buckle.
I have another belt to go over my shirt - plain black leather with my USMC dress blues belt buckle on it.
then a nylon webbing belt less than 1" wide for the bustle.

I put the side tabs and aprons on the same belt because adding a 5th belt in there would have been extreme and crazy! But, I do know quite a few people who attach their bustles to the concho belt, and put leggings, aprons, and side-tabs all on the same belt - that way they only have 2 belts on at any time. Some of those guys tie on their aprons and leggings, instead of using a belt, so they only have the bustle/concho belt to worry with.

Just thought I'd offer some more ideas...

BannockWarrior 07-06-2016 01:28 AM

Should i attach my breechcloth and,side tabs like this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottlollar (Post 1167160)
Let's see... when fully suited up, I'm wearing 4 belts, I think? It's a bit extremem, but it works.
I have one belt that I put my leggings on - a small nylon webbing belt.
I have one belt that has aprons and side-tabs on it - it's a standard leather belt with two-prong buckle.
I have another belt to go over my shirt - plain black leather with my USMC dress blues belt buckle on it.
then a nylon webbing belt less than 1" wide for the bustle.

I put the side tabs and aprons on the same belt because adding a 5th belt in there would have been extreme and crazy! But, I do know quite a few people who attach their bustles to the concho belt, and put leggings, aprons, and side-tabs all on the same belt - that way they only have 2 belts on at any time. Some of those guys tie on their aprons and leggings, instead of using a belt, so they only have the bustle/concho belt to worry with.

Just thought I'd offer some more ideas...

Should i sew my side tabs to my leather belt but then cut the breechcloth in half and sew the front half on my belt then for the back i make it so i can run a leather thong through the back half of the breechcloth and tie it under my belt?

BannockWarrior 07-06-2016 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BannockWarrior (Post 1627608)
Should i sew my side tabs to my leather belt but then cut the breechcloth in half and sew the front half on my belt then for the back i make it so i can run a leather thong through the back half of the breechcloth and tie it under my belt?

Also my breechcloth is wool trade cloth and my side tabs are leather

ches 09-28-2018 09:21 PM

Is it ok to use an Oklahoma back hustle?

gilisi 09-28-2018 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ches (Post 1637371)

@wardancer, wasn't this something you used to do at the pool hall?

wardancer 09-28-2018 11:54 PM

I used to "hustle" , sometimes in Oklahoma ! Made more bucks in Texas though !:laughing:

ches 09-29-2018 11:42 PM

Thank you for your thoughtful answers. I will start learning how to play pool, though I do nít see how this will help my dancing.

wardancer 09-30-2018 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ches (Post 1637371)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ches (Post 1637383)
Thank you for your thoughtful answers. I will start learning how to play pool, though I do nít see how this will help my dancing.

We were taking liberties with your spelling , to have a bit of fun with the "new guy" ! LOL

There are "Oklahoma back bustles" for Tradish and an "Oklahoma back bustles"for Fancy ! I take it that you wish to "Tradish" and are building an outfit ?

ches 09-30-2018 08:06 AM

Thought

Quote:

Originally Posted by wardancer (Post 1637385)
We were taking liberties with your spelling , to have a bit of fun with the "new guy" ! LOL

There are "Oklahoma back bustles" for Tradish and an "Oklahoma back bustles"for Fancy ! I take it that you wish to "Tradish" and are building an outfit ?

I thought it was tremendous. If you notice, my reply was in jest, tongue - in- cheek. Feel free to lead me down every gopher hole you come to.

Joe's Dad 09-30-2018 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ches (Post 1637389)
I thought it was tremendous. If you notice, my reply was in jest, tongue - in- cheek. Feel free to lead me down every gopher hole you come to.

Have you read anywhere that a good Tradish dancer can braid his hair. That's one braid on each side and one on top of your head.

ches 09-30-2018 11:58 AM

I shave head

wardancer 09-30-2018 12:45 PM

Dang , that"ll be hard to braid ! :laughing:

Joe's Dad 09-30-2018 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ches (Post 1637393)
I shave head

Dude, you can't be a Northern Traditional dancer with a shaved head! You gotta have braids! :laughing:

wardancer 09-30-2018 02:08 PM

He could get some of those fake braids and wear a hat ??? :lol:

gilisi 09-30-2018 05:13 PM

Quote:

Careful what u wish for LOL

wardancer 09-30-2018 11:32 PM

Quote:

Feel free to lead me down every gopher hole you come to.

Hope you have a good flashlight , some of those gopher holes Joe'sDad goes down are pretty scary !:laughing: