Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree56Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Northern Traditional Dancing Bison horns Bison horns

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-28-2014, 08:42 AM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
MadTurkey is off the scaleMadTurkey is off the scaleMadTurkey is off the scaleMadTurkey is off the scaleMadTurkey is off the scaleMadTurkey is off the scaleMadTurkey is off the scaleMadTurkey is off the scaleMadTurkey is off the scale
Credits: 849.58
Savings: 0.00
Question Bison horns

Hi does anyone know what to use to drill
through buffalo/bison horns ?
MadTurkey is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-28-2014, 09:48 AM   #2
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 99,052.40
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTurkey View Post
Hi does anyone know what to use to drill
through buffalo/bison horns ?
Yeah, use glass drill bit.

Wachu gonna do with those? Use them for one of those Viking helmet thingies where the guy has long red hair and a beard down to his chest and wearing those skin/hides and had a big shield and long spear?

Those guys are the coolest!

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-28-2014, 10:08 AM   #3
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 44,987.67
As JD suggests, use a diamond impregnated drill bit for drilling glass or tile.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-28-2014, 10:54 AM   #4
Pow Wow Visitor

MadTurkey is off the scaleMadTurkey is off the scaleMadTurkey is off the scaleMadTurkey is off the scaleMadTurkey is off the scaleMadTurkey is off the scaleMadTurkey is off the scaleMadTurkey is off the scaleMadTurkey is off the scale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Dad View Post
Yeah, use glass drill bit.

Wachu gonna do with those? Use them for one of those Viking helmet thingies where the guy has long red hair and a beard down to his chest and wearing those skin/hides and had a big shield and long spear?

Those guys are the coolest!
Im going to make regalia with those horns and also thanks for the answer!
windanncer likes this.

Last edited by MadTurkey; 09-28-2014 at 10:56 AM..
Old 09-28-2014, 12:07 PM   #5
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Do you dance eagle bustle?
windanncer likes this.

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Old 09-28-2014, 01:06 PM   #6
Pow Wow Visitor

Quote:
Do you dance eagle bustle?
I've never dance'd in a eagle bustle i've never danced in a bustle either im just curious , tough i would like to dance in a bustle on a powwow tough i own a wing feather from a eagle that i was given , i love native cultures of north american and would like to learn more
Old 09-28-2014, 01:18 PM   #7
Dances With Fat Chicks

milehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
milehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 27,237.05
Quote:
I've never dance'd in a eagle bustle i've never danced in a bustle either im just curious , tough i would like to dance in a bustle on a powwow tough i own a wing feather from a eagle that i was given , i love native cultures of north american and would like to learn more
i hope you arent planning on making pueblo buffalo dancer regalia.....or comanche, havasupai, plains regailia either......that is something you do NOT have the rights to do and it would be highly offensive.....lie JD said......make yourself a cool viking helmet
DeafElderWoman likes this.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:44 PM   #8
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighsalute View Post
i hope you arent planning on making pueblo buffalo dancer regalia.....or comanche, havasupai, plains regailia either......that is something you do NOT have the rights to do and it would be highly offensive.....lie JD said......make yourself a cool viking helmet
JD didn't say for him to make a cool viking outfit. He ASKED if he was making a cool viking outfit. lol
windanncer likes this.

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Old 09-28-2014, 01:47 PM   #9
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Quote:
Im going to make regalia with those horns and also thanks for the answer!
Quote:
I don't think I've ever seen anyone dance at a powwow with buffalo horns. Keno Colby White Jr. up from the northwest is the closest one who comes to mind.

What made you think buffalo horns would make good regalia?
windanncer likes this.

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Old 09-28-2014, 02:00 PM   #10
Dances With Fat Chicks

milehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I don't think I've ever seen anyone dance at a powwow with buffalo horns. Keno Colby White Jr. up from the northwest is the closest one who comes to mind.

i have, at denver march

i was told that only people from certain societies can

as far as buffalo dance that is NOT a powwow dance
Old 09-28-2014, 02:05 PM   #11
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
I was at DM in '98. Good powwow. I'm sure you see horns on occasion.

I once saw a guy at a powwow with a bear head..but he had a full beard like a viking.
windanncer likes this.

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Old 09-28-2014, 02:54 PM   #12
Pow Wow Visitor

Quote:

Ive seen a few powwow videos on youtube (i've never been to a real powwow but i would like to visit one) where they have attached the horns on a staff
Old 09-28-2014, 03:04 PM   #13
Pow Wow Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighsalute View Post
vikings never had horns on their helmets its a myth , i have swedish,french,belgian blood but most of my blood is swedish , so you mean that it would be offensive if someone who are not from the specific tribe wore regalia from that tribe ? , i would not be offended if a north native american would wear a viking helmet drinking mead , i just like the native cultures of the north america and i dont want to be offensive either im just intreted on how all these things are made and work
Old 09-28-2014, 03:35 PM   #14
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 44,987.67
Our cultures and yours spring from very different intellectual frameworks and have different understandings of intellectual property. In many of our cultures items of regalia are associated with particular teaching and groups. For outsiders simply to appropriate them because they like them is an intellectual property crime -- like patent or copyright infringement. I may feel a great affinity for the culture of Italy and want to make myself a Versace handbag and shoes, but that would be theft of intellectual property. And punishable under European and US law.

Among my people headdresses with horns were associated with certain religious activities and/or certain societies. The people who could make or wear them had rights to those items. They earned those rights. When you appropriate these items you commit theft of our cultural and intellectual property.

Perhaps if you are interested in our cultures, you might begin by learning about our history and the historical legacy of colonial theft that affects us to this day. It isn't fun. You don't get to play dress up. But you might come to a deeper understanding of what it is like to look at the world through our eyes, than you will looking at yourself in the mirror wearing your new horned bonnet or holding your staff.

Last edited by OLChemist; 09-28-2014 at 03:38 PM..
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-28-2014, 03:42 PM   #15
Dances With Fat Chicks

Quote:
vikings never had horns on their helmets its a myth , i have swedish,french,belgian blood but most of my blood is swedish , so you mean that it would be offensive if someone who are not from the specific tribe wore regalia from that tribe ? , i would not be offended if a north native american would wear a viking helmet drinking mead , i just like the native cultures of the north america and i dont want to be offensive either im just intreted on how all these things are made and work
personally i think its offensive that you would wear any kind of native regalia.....and on you it wouldnt be regalia but a costume.....because costume means you are dressing up as something you arent

most here may not agree with me, and you are gonna do what you are gonna do anyways.......you really dont care that you would pis off most of the native community and you will justify it by seeking out someone who will tell you its ok or maybe listening to WHITE powwow dancer.....so the feelings of natives are a moot point

but using things you arent supposed to takes offensiveness to a whole new level
OLChemist, windanncer and gilisi like this.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:34 PM   #16
Pow Wow Committee

gilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond repute
gilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 51,070.23
Is this madturkey character an early april fools joke? @Grits & Beans is this your warm up session?
windanncer likes this.

"Show me somethin"
gilisi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-28-2014, 11:40 PM   #17
Powwow Grandmother

DeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond repute
DeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 4,566.41
I was gonna say that he want to be a wannabe native who he is not. That would be offensive if he tried to mimic just because he was interest in Native Culture.

As for the buffalo/bison horns on the headdress, that would not look good as the horns are pretty heavy to carry on the head.

Beside, I had not see any headdresses that have buffalo or bison horns, only some were shown on pictures, usually with the medicine men as buffalo or bison are very sacred to us, especially the White Calf. So are we. We have a lot of respect to many of our animals in Indian Country.

So if you want to learn about our Native Culture, then show respect. Don't make a spectacle of yourself wearing the wrong regalia and headdress.

You are Swedish, not Native (Indian).

DeafElderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2014, 10:06 AM   #18
Pow Wow Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
Our cultures and yours spring from very different intellectual frameworks and have different understandings of intellectual property. In many of our cultures items of regalia are associated with particular teaching and groups. For outsiders simply to appropriate them because they like them is an intellectual property crime -- like patent or copyright infringement. I may feel a great affinity for the culture of Italy and want to make myself a Versace handbag and shoes, but that would be theft of intellectual property. And punishable under European and US law.

Among my people headdresses with horns were associated with certain religious activities and/or certain societies. The people who could make or wear them had rights to those items. They earned those rights. When you appropriate these items you commit theft of our cultural and intellectual property.

Perhaps if you are interested in our cultures, you might begin by learning about our history and the historical legacy of colonial theft that affects us to this day. It isn't fun. You don't get to play dress up. But you might come to a deeper understanding of what it is like to look at the world through our eyes, than you will looking at yourself in the mirror wearing your new horned bonnet or holding your staff.
Im not thinking of making a horned bonnet either , and yes i am learning about the history of native americans like the battle of little big horn and the genocide during the 1800s but also what happend on wounded knee , i know that is not funny either and i wouldnt joke about it too since it would be like joking about how nazi killed jews , i do really like native american culture and i want to appologise if i have been offending , im just curious and really want to learn the diffrent cultures in diffrent tribes of the usa and canada , im pretty much like les atkins if you've heard of him the man from Uk who quit his work to be native american , thats all i wanted to say for now , maybe i should make a drinking horn instead of regalia with the buffalo horns , tough i really appreciate that you teach me by telling the truth
OLChemist and WhoMe like this.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:08 AM   #19
Dances With Fat Chicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafElderWoman View Post
I was gonna say that he want to be a wannabe native who he is not. That would be offensive if he tried to mimic just because he was interest in Native Culture.

As for the buffalo/bison horns on the headdress, that would not look good as the horns are pretty heavy to carry on the head.

Beside, I had not see any headdresses that have buffalo or bison horns, only some were shown on pictures, usually with the medicine men as buffalo or bison are very sacred to us, especially the White Calf. So are we. We have a lot of respect to many of our animals in Indian Country.

So if you want to learn about our Native Culture, then show respect. Don't make a spectacle of yourself wearing the wrong regalia and headdress.

my tribe has buffalo dancers with buffalo headress....havasupai medicine men have buffalo headresses....lains tribes have buffalo dance versions but im not sure of their protcol....but it IS a society...they wear buffalo headresses too
windanncer and DeafElderWoman like this.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:10 AM   #20
Pow Wow Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafElderWoman View Post

Im really sorry if i've been offensive about the native culture maybe i could do a drinking horn instead and i did not want to make a headdress out of them either , i were planning to attach them to a staff but i wont do it now since i've been offensive and then i wont do it , tough thank you for teaching me the truth and i also appologise for being offensive , my intrest for native american cultures of the USA and Canada have been since this year started and i would like to learn more , thank you for your response
Sponsored Links