Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Toolbox
  • 2 Post By wardancer
  • 2 Post By WhoMe

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Northern Traditional Dancing Bustle Bustle

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 09:42 AM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Lane is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 123.01
Savings: 0.00
Bustle

I don't know which group to post this in. I am Cheraw from South Carolina. I don't have anyone here that I can ask this question to, so hopefully you can help me. I am just beginning to dance and I am making a bustle. I have imitation eagle feathers that I was going to use on them. However at the Catawba powwow last weekend I noticed no one was using imitation bald eagle feathers. They all appeared to be golden eagle. Is there a cultural reason for this?
Lane is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-15-2013, 10:28 AM   #2
I pull your leg out!

Items Treasure ChestElephantPresentPresent
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 82,072.92
This is the right section to ask this question. There a number of factors here. The first is feather use differs between tribes. The second is if the person is a card carrier and has the paperwork they are going to use real feathers. I have seen people use them, very rarely, in a pinch but it's only because they either didn't have enough feathers or they were place-holding while they were waiting for a delivery from the repository.

To get a real answer on your tribe's use of feathers is to track down another member or elder and ask them. You may luck out and someone here may have the specifics of your tribe's feather usage but chances are you may not get a solid answer here.
Eagle Plumes likes this.

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/
Toolbox is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-15-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
Junior Dancer

running_with_buffs has a reputation beyond repute
running_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,080.18
morning sir,lane i think that the balds just never got popular to use on the powwow circuits,mainly going back long time ago that the imatture and muture golden eagle feathers was and still is most sought after,lots of people used to and still do use these in cermonies and just me anybody else can chime in i was always told that these feathers was more powerful.
running_with_buffs is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-15-2013, 01:16 PM   #4
Me & Eyes are the best !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 62,415.99
Savings: 1.00
I would agree with rwb , and would like to add that the bustle is a tradition of the Plains Tribes , not necessarily from your area.
White Powwow Dancer and WhoMe like this.

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
wardancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-15-2013, 03:28 PM   #5
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,558.70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lane View Post
I don't know which group to post this in. I am Cheraw from South Carolina. I don't have anyone here that I can ask this question to, so hopefully you can help me. I am just beginning to dance and I am making a bustle. I have imitation eagle feathers that I was going to use on them. However at the Catawba powwow last weekend I noticed no one was using imitation bald eagle feathers. They all appeared to be golden eagle. Is there a cultural reason for this?
Lane,

Bustles were not originally worn in what is now South Carolina. Early artifacts that used feathers for your region were predominently turkey feathers. With the adoption of powwow, the Cheraw and other Carolina tribes have adopted the used of bustles to do powwow style dances.

Believe it or not, the earliest use of plains bustles included owl feathers which today is not the norm.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:32 AM   #6
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 119,811.65
Will a moderator put Soma to sleep...for good. LOL

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-07-2013, 07:13 PM   #7
Self-Righteous Injun

Items Treasure ChestPresentTreasure ChestPresent
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 17,963.51
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe View Post
Believe it or not, the earliest use of plains bustles included owl feathers which today is not the norm.
True dat, yo!
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-17-2013, 03:26 PM   #8
Dances With Fat Chicks

milehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
milehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 31,965.56
Quote:
Lane,

Bustles were not originally worn in what is now South Carolina. Early artifacts that used feathers for your region were predominently turkey feathers. With the adoption of powwow, the Cheraw and other Carolina tribes have adopted the used of bustles to do powwow style dances.

well apaches been using bustles made of spruce for a very long time....is it possible if any of the plains apache tribes also did spruce bustles like their western counterparts they may have the EARLIEST bustles? not arguing.....just wondring
milehighsalute is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-19-2013, 10:39 AM   #9
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,558.70
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighsalute View Post
well apaches been using bustles made of spruce for a very long time....is it possible if any of the plains apache tribes also did spruce bustles like their western counterparts they may have the EARLIEST bustles? not arguing.....just wondring
mile,

Apples and oranges. The Apache spruce back ornament (I don't think it was called a bustle) served a different purpose than both the original Crow Bustle or the modern dance bustle.

Many tribes wore different ornaments for different purposes on their lower backs.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:43 PM   #10
Biboon omaa

White Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond repute
White Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,966.54
Quote:
mile,

Apples and oranges. The Apache spruce back ornament (I don't think it was called a bustle) served a different purpose than both the original Crow Bustle or the modern dance bustle.

Many tribes wore different ornaments for different purposes on their lower backs.
Thanks for the info. I did not know that.
OK Niji we are running a train with red over yellow at this powwow.
White Powwow Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links