Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Northern Traditional Dancing Bustle Feathers Bustle Feathers

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2009, 12:49 PM   #1
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Tx_grass_dancer has a reputation beyond repute
Tx_grass_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeTx_grass_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeTx_grass_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeTx_grass_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeTx_grass_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeTx_grass_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeTx_grass_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeTx_grass_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeTx_grass_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeTx_grass_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeTx_grass_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeTx_grass_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeTx_grass_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeTx_grass_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeTx_grass_dancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 879.60
Bustle Feathers

Ok I'm sure this has been addressed before but im on my phone and cant check the histories anyways.

What has everyone found to be the best way to remove feathers from an intact wing in order to use them on their Bustle?
Tx_grass_dancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-05-2009, 09:15 PM   #2
they call me dunn dunn

ewoaf has a reputation beyond repute
ewoaf has a reputation beyond reputeewoaf has a reputation beyond reputeewoaf has a reputation beyond reputeewoaf has a reputation beyond reputeewoaf has a reputation beyond reputeewoaf has a reputation beyond reputeewoaf has a reputation beyond reputeewoaf has a reputation beyond reputeewoaf has a reputation beyond reputeewoaf has a reputation beyond reputeewoaf has a reputation beyond reputeewoaf has a reputation beyond reputeewoaf has a reputation beyond reputeewoaf has a reputation beyond reputeewoaf has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 160.00
Savings: 0.00
depends on the condition of the wing
on a fresh wing (meat is soft and pliable) I like to use pliers to grip the exposed quill as far down as i can, and jerk. Usually the quill pops out w/o any meat or skin on it.
Now lets say the wing is dried and stiff, you might want to use a razor to cut the quill out of the wing because they are usually stuck inside there once the flesh is dried. Start at the pointer end and shave away the flesh from the first quill until you can peel it out w/ the pliers. Once the first one is out, the rest can usually be peeled out the same way.
On the other hand you can soak the wing, but then you really have to do some serious preening w/ the iron to get the feather back into shape.
Movin' my hips like "Yeah!"
-Miley Cyrus
ewoaf is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-06-2009, 12:55 PM   #3
Tiny Tot Dancer

Tx_grass_dancer has a reputation beyond repute
Tx_grass_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeTx_grass_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeTx_grass_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeTx_grass_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeTx_grass_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeTx_grass_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeTx_grass_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeTx_grass_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeTx_grass_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeTx_grass_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeTx_grass_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeTx_grass_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeTx_grass_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeTx_grass_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeTx_grass_dancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 879.60
The wings that I have now are dried and boraxed pretty heavily. I've done the cutting method before got kinda messy with lots of little feather flying everywhere (I did it in the living room of my dorm sorry roomies) just was seeing if there were other ways out there didnt mind the mess just wanted to try new techniques.
Tx_grass_dancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-06-2009, 08:02 PM   #4
they call me dunn dunn

ewoaf has a reputation beyond repute
ewoaf has a reputation beyond reputeewoaf has a reputation beyond reputeewoaf has a reputation beyond reputeewoaf has a reputation beyond reputeewoaf has a reputation beyond reputeewoaf has a reputation beyond reputeewoaf has a reputation beyond reputeewoaf has a reputation beyond reputeewoaf has a reputation beyond reputeewoaf has a reputation beyond reputeewoaf has a reputation beyond reputeewoaf has a reputation beyond reputeewoaf has a reputation beyond reputeewoaf has a reputation beyond reputeewoaf has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 160.00
the mess comes in writing
Movin' my hips like "Yeah!"
-Miley Cyrus
ewoaf is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-07-2009, 07:10 AM   #5
Powwow King

redthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scale
Credits: 221.00
I do exactly what ewoaf does. Works well. =]

"You need to find yourself a girl, mate... Or, perhaps the reason you practice three hours a day is that you already found one and are otherwise incapable of wooing said strumpet. You're not a eunuch, are you? [looks down]"
-Captain Jack Sparrow
redthunder is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links