Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Northern Traditional Dancing Coyote Skin on Regalia Coyote Skin on Regalia

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-15-2006, 09:14 PM   #1
Traditional Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Allogagan Nimat is infamous around these parts
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Coyote Skin on Regalia

I am a Northern Traditional Dancer, and I am basing my regalia on the Cheyenne Tribe. I was given a coyote pelt, no head or tail, as a gift and I have been searching for weeks on the internet whether it is ok to include this on my regalia. Where I would be putting it is on my dance staff at the top and bottom. But I do not want to put it on until I know it is ok.
Allogagan Nimat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2006, 03:04 AM   #2
Powwow King

redthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scale
Credits: 221.00
The most popular answer to questions like these on this board is, "If you have to ask, then it's a no." I don't see a problem in having it. Go right ahead.

"You need to find yourself a girl, mate... Or, perhaps the reason you practice three hours a day is that you already found one and are otherwise incapable of wooing said strumpet. You're not a eunuch, are you? [looks down]"
-Captain Jack Sparrow
redthunder is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2006, 07:24 PM   #3
Traditional Dancer

The reason why I asked is because I have heard rumors that the coyote was considered to be a low-life creature and not well respected. That is why I asked. Thank you for your response.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:24 AM   #4
www.wakalapi.com

Wakalapi has a reputation beyond repute
Wakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 336.00
Coyote skins, including faces are not really uncommon in the powwow circle. Of course it's one of those "do what your own tribe believes" kind of things I guess. Not all tribes see coyote as a lowlife, perhaps not even most; mine sees him as a trickster but a necessary character in the grand scheme of things. In the area where I live, he is a major character and teacher in some of their stories.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:21 AM   #5
Fat Singer

billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
havent seen much fur on the trail recently.- last time was kevin heywahe. other than that its all cloth and beadwork.

what exactly does a cheyenne outfit look like? Is it powwow traditional or old style traditional?
billyjoejimbob is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-21-2006, 06:22 PM   #6
Traditional Dancer

On my outfit I have a roach with deer hair in and out, a choker, vest with tribal medalions sewn on, breastplate, breechcloth, rabbit fur pouch, and moccasins. I carry a dance shield and staff. On the shield I have it divided into 4 sections, each being highlighted with the 4 colors of the earth, and in each section I have a picture depicting certain meanings to the Indians and Cheyenne. On my staff I have a deer antler and some other assorted items.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:52 PM   #7
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 10,816.57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allogagan Nimat
On my outfit I have a roach with deer hair in and out, a choker, vest with tribal medalions sewn on, breastplate, breechcloth, rabbit fur pouch, and moccasins. I carry a dance shield and staff. On the shield I have it divided into 4 sections, each being highlighted with the 4 colors of the earth, and in each section I have a picture depicting certain meanings to the Indians and Cheyenne. On my staff I have a deer antler and some other assorted items.

ANimat,

I have seen a lot of Cheyennes dressed in different types of Cheyenne cloths to fit different occassions.

For the life of me, I have yet to see any Cheyenne wearing a rabbit fur pouch and coyote skinned deer antler.

Are you wanting cultural accuracy?

or are you wearing things and calling them "Cheyenne?"
Old 02-22-2006, 02:01 PM   #8
Kili!

Wojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allogagan Nimat
I am a Northern Traditional Dancer, and I am basing my regalia on the Cheyenne Tribe. I was given a coyote pelt, no head or tail, as a gift and I have been searching for weeks on the internet whether it is ok to include this on my regalia. Where I would be putting it is on my dance staff at the top and bottom. But I do not want to put it on until I know it is ok.
I'm assuming that you're not Cheyenne. That said, do you know any Cheyenne people you could talk to about this? If not, have you even tried to contact any or are you just researching on the net?

I must agree with WhoMe that the stuff you desribe isn't anything Cheyenne that I've ever heard of or seen. Cheyennes are FAMOUS for their mocassins so this alone should be given the utmost care...hopefully you got that part right.

Cheyennes are a proud people (both northern and southern bands) and deserve the utmost respect...give them that by researcing this outfit and talking to actual, living Cheyennes.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:18 PM   #9
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singerdad
Cheyennes are a proud people (both northern and southern bands) and deserve the utmost respect...give them that by researcing this outfit and talking to actual, living Cheyennes.

Old 02-23-2006, 11:53 AM   #10
Boogie Monster

sookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond repute
sookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 3,751.64
Quote:
They oughta be proud - they used to be Ojibwe once :D
sookout sh'nob is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-24-2006, 08:21 PM   #11
Fat Singer

billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
Allogagan Nimat - vigil name huh?

Stop listening to boy scout leaders who dont know anything about indian culture.

If you surf around here you will see that there are MANY REAL NDNs who arent to happy with boy scout stuff. There are also many non-NDNs who also are not happy about it either.(myself included)

Ive been there, I was NACHGOHUMAN GISHIHAN, I didnt know nuthin' until AFTER I left the OA and BSA.

Now I see why many NDNs hate me.
billyjoejimbob is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-24-2006, 11:03 PM   #12
Like my new toy?

Privateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 30.00
Savings: 1.00
I want a cool vigil name! Seriously I would suggest looking at photos in this gallery and elsewhere on the net to get ideas, you never copy. I have seen small amounts of fur used, like a one inch strip max. I am actually sporting 2 half inch mink strips on my staff. I used it separate the tack work from the place I eventually want to put beadwork, and the beadwork section from my handhold. A good place to get decent fur is...thrift stores! Old mink coats is how I got the stuff. You just don't wan the entire staff wrapped in fur, that's something you see from some powwow vendors
BillyJoeJimBob is right, there are a few scout leaders who know what they are doing, the bulk haven't got a clue. They think becasue they read the Indian Lore MBP, they know it all. Or they are reliving their glory days. Go to powwows, talk to people, look at photos, and keep the questions coming. Good luck
Nahila Nakne

Last edited by GJJudd; 02-24-2006 at 11:13 PM.. Reason: clarification
Privateer6 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2006, 12:40 AM   #13
crazywolf

crazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 338.47
Boozhoo niji,

I danced northern trad before I started out fancy 6-7 years ago. I wore a coyote pelt, complete, on my head, along with a bustle made from turkey feathers and copper tubing. It looked way cool, the copper caught the sunlight sorta like a cd, but a lot of people laughed at the whole outfit so I turned fancy, where they quit laughing.

Anyway, wearing the coyote pelt, I was once approached by a Commanche man, he asked me if I knew what the coyote meant to his people. I shook my head, and he told me all about it. He said that one coyote was a not so good sign, two or more was a really bad sign, and if the coyote looked at him as it crossed his path, then someone in his family would die. I just stood there kinda stunned, and he told me that I had to respect other people tribes traditions. So for the rest of the pow wow I tried not to look at him.

I dont know very much about the Cheyenne, I do know their work for coyote is Okomhe, and they see the coyote as a trickster and sort ofa teacher (was something someone told me a long time ago, please correct me if I am wrong).

I am not saying you need to go out and do a lot of research, but like redthunder posted above, if you have a question about something, then that something is probably questionable, and using somesuch something will get a lot of people comming your way and asking questions. Most of the good ones will come to you in a good way, as the Commanche man once did for me, a long time ago. He didnt make fun of me, he just asked me what I knew of the coyote myself, and told me what the Commanche thought of it.

Derek
crazywolf is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-27-2006, 09:09 AM   #14
Kili!

Wojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywolf
Anyway, wearing the coyote pelt, I was once approached by a Commanche man, he asked me if I knew what the coyote meant to his people. I shook my head, and he told me all about it. He said that one coyote was a not so good sign, two or more was a really bad sign, and if the coyote looked at him as it crossed his path, then someone in his family would die. I just stood there kinda stunned, and he told me that I had to respect other people tribes traditions. So for the rest of the pow wow I tried not to look at him.
See, this I totally disagree with....respecting another's tribal traditions is one thing, but changing your to bow down to theirs is another. Was wearing a coyote head a part of your tradition or just worn to be cool? If it was part of your tradition, then this guy was out of line and hopefully you told him so.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:28 PM   #15
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywolf
Anyway, wearing the coyote pelt, I was once approached by a Commanche man, he asked me if I knew what the coyote meant to his people. I shook my head, and he told me all about it. He said that one coyote was a not so good sign, two or more was a really bad sign, and if the coyote looked at him as it crossed his path, then someone in his family would die. I just stood there kinda stunned, and he told me that I had to respect other people tribes traditions. So for the rest of the pow wow I tried not to look at him......

Derek,

It was actually a Comanche who revived wearing the wolf head as a headdress at powwows.

This Comanche moved to Poundmakers Reserve in Saskatchewan, Canada. With this unique headpiece he began to win at numerous contests and soon others began wearing wolf, coyote and bobcat heads at powwows.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:39 PM   #16
Kili!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe
Derek,

It was actually a Comanche who revived wearing the wolf head as a headdress at powwows.

This Comanche moved to Poundmakers Reserve in Saskatchewan, Canada. With this unique headpiece he began to win at numerous contests and soon others began wearing wolf, coyote and bobcat heads at powwows.
I know exactly who you're talking about WhoMe. He's a short little guy, but man, back in the day he could JAM!!
Old 02-27-2006, 03:54 PM   #17
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
Quote:
I know exactly who you're talking about WhoMe. He's a short little guy, but man, back in the day he could JAM!!

SingerD,

Actually the person who I referred to was Richard Poafpybitty. A lot of powwow people didn't know what to think about his wolf headdress when he first began to wear it. He had a unique style of dancing to go with his headdress and wore yellow, black and red as his primary colors in his outfit. He also carried a shield and gunstock club.

He was taken into the Tootoosis family. I think he was with Gordons' (and Irene Tootoosis's) second daughter (inbetween Alana and Desa).

He inspired many dancers to this style including Kevin Haywahey. They were about the same size and at the time, often mistaken for one another.

Finally people affectionately called them American wolfman (Richard) and Canadian wolfman (Kevin).
Old 08-11-2006, 08:39 PM   #18
Traditional Life!

kyflutedancr is an unknown quantity at this point
I can't remember where i saw it, but i think it was the old Crow style for traditionals to wear a coyote pelt on one side and a crow on the other kinda tied to their belts. I'm not 100% sure of this so if im wrong please correct it.
kyflutedancr is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-18-2006, 02:54 PM   #19
Father of Tiny Tot Dancer

scottlollar has a reputation beyond reputescottlollar has a reputation beyond reputescottlollar has a reputation beyond reputescottlollar has a reputation beyond reputescottlollar has a reputation beyond reputescottlollar has a reputation beyond reputescottlollar has a reputation beyond reputescottlollar has a reputation beyond reputescottlollar has a reputation beyond reputescottlollar has a reputation beyond reputescottlollar has a reputation beyond reputescottlollar has a reputation beyond reputescottlollar has a reputation beyond reputescottlollar has a reputation beyond reputescottlollar has a reputation beyond reputescottlollar has a reputation beyond reputescottlollar has a reputation beyond reputescottlollar has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 160.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe
Derek,

I've seen quite a few wolf and coyote skins in my area. I have one myself, though I don't wear it. I can't say I've ever heard any stories about Comanches thinking coyotes were bad omens. All the Comanches and Kiowas I know indicate it was the owl, not the coyote that was the bad omen. So much so that most won't even say the word 'owl'. One of my mother's friends likes to tell the story of how she kept her ex-husband away from her money - she put an owl feather on her wallet every night. He wouldn't go NEAR it, let alone take any money... LOL

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Quick to judge,
Quick to anger,
Slow to understand
Ignorance and prejudice
And fear walk hand in hand.
--Neal Peart(from the song Witch Hunt)
scottlollar is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-22-2008, 09:33 AM   #20
Show me the Frybread...

Highwolf89 has a reputation beyond reputeHighwolf89 has a reputation beyond reputeHighwolf89 has a reputation beyond reputeHighwolf89 has a reputation beyond reputeHighwolf89 has a reputation beyond reputeHighwolf89 has a reputation beyond reputeHighwolf89 has a reputation beyond reputeHighwolf89 has a reputation beyond reputeHighwolf89 has a reputation beyond reputeHighwolf89 has a reputation beyond reputeHighwolf89 has a reputation beyond reputeHighwolf89 has a reputation beyond reputeHighwolf89 has a reputation beyond reputeHighwolf89 has a reputation beyond reputeHighwolf89 has a reputation beyond reputeHighwolf89 has a reputation beyond reputeHighwolf89 has a reputation beyond reputeHighwolf89 has a reputation beyond reputeHighwolf89 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,736.90
I am new to northern traditional dance and i was just contiplating about wearing a coyote pelt on my head because my whole outfit and dance is all related to the return of the wolves. I can not find a wolf pelt any were or i would get that. I can find one but it would cost me my two left legs. I honor the wolf and thats why I was sort of dedicating my dance. I was hoping to get the coyote pelt in switch of the wolf pelt just cost of cost reasons but now i am sort of in a two way swing after reading all this hmmmmmmmmmmm......
Highwolf89 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links