Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Northern Traditional Dancing Dose anyone know the History on the Duck n' Dive? Dose anyone know the History on the Duck n' Dive?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2005, 11:04 AM   #1
Beadboy

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,860.56
Savings: 1.00
Question Dose anyone know the History on the Duck n' Dive?

Dose anybody know the history on the Duck n' Dive? Were
it came from, how it started ect.. please let me know. Hoka!!

Being Native American isn't JUST about blood. It is a Spiritual way of life.

"Tell me and I will listen, Show me and I will understand, Take me in and I will learn." -A Lakota proverb

“We need to start standing up to people who tell us ‘no,’ that we can’t do things in the way of our culture.” -Aloysius Dreaming Bear
_wuliechsin_ is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2005, 12:40 PM   #2
Lovin' life,

Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 260.00
Here is a link to a thread in the archive where this had been discussed before.

http://powwows.com/gathering/showthr...407#post237407
Old 11-07-2005, 07:20 PM   #3
Pow Wow Visitor

heartbeat will become famous soon enough
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
The "Duck and Dive"

This is for those who wish to know… The Duck and dive has been misunderstood, misinterpreted and abused throughout the powwow circuit. It is a popular song that has spread like wildfire across the nation leaving its significance far behind. I only know of the one song called the duck and dive, and although many have tried to claim it. I know this song to be Nez Perce.
The significance is very important as with anything else. Elders are reminded of a terrible time that is not as easy to forget when that song is sung. The Duck and dive is a tribute to that time known as the Battle of Big Hole. During the Nez Perce War of 1877, the Nez Perce has passed through the Bitterroot mountains thinking that they have left the war behind them. There in the Big Hole valley they camped and celebrated thinking they were safe from the soldiers, but that was far from the truth. Aug. 9, 1877 Col Gibbon attacked the sleeping camp of Nez Perce in the early morning. The infantry soldiers then waded across the water and attacked the village. The orders of the day by colonel Gibbon at the time was to shoot low into the tepees, shoot low, three volleys move, three volleys move. That’s exactly what they did, killing sleeping woman and children. Many people died in this battle. There were terrible sounds that came from the Nez Perce camp after the warriors had returned. The soldiers talk about it, as well as Nez Perce. “it was a sound that you never wanted to hear again”. The children dead laying on the ground, babies with heads crushed laying on the ground, their wives killed, their parents killed. And again the cries that came from this place, the sorrow, the sadness.
The two downbeats that every one refers to, are shots fired from a Howitzer cannon in the Battle of Big Hole. Col Gibbons had brought this cannon out thinking that the Nez Perce warriors would be afraid of it, but instead they attacked it. This cannon only got off two shots before the warriors killed the crew and tore the cannon apart.
This song was composed sometime after the Battle of Big hole 1877 and I have heard that it should only be sung for the veterans of war. This song has a lot of meaning so please be mindful.

That’s all
heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2005, 08:38 PM   #4
SNAGNOMETRY 101

1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute
Thank you for posting that- Much Respect
1badazzndn is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2005, 09:58 PM   #5
Beadboy

_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute_wuliechsin_ has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,860.56
Thak you, very much.

Being Native American isn't JUST about blood. It is a Spiritual way of life.

"Tell me and I will listen, Show me and I will understand, Take me in and I will learn." -A Lakota proverb

“We need to start standing up to people who tell us ‘no,’ that we can’t do things in the way of our culture.” -Aloysius Dreaming Bear
_wuliechsin_ is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-08-2005, 10:12 PM   #6
Junior Dancer

rasmel will become famous soon enough
"I have heard that it should only be sung for the veterans of war. This song has a lot of meaning so please be mindful."
THANK YOU HEARTBEAT
Old 05-13-2006, 12:30 AM   #7
Pow Wow Visitor

hokawicasa is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartbeat
This is for those who wish to know… The Duck and dive has been misunderstood, misinterpreted and abused throughout the powwow circuit. It is a popular song that has spread like wildfire across the nation leaving its significance far behind. I only know of the one song called the duck and dive, and although many have tried to claim it. I know this song to be Nez Perce.
The significance is very important as with anything else. Elders are reminded of a terrible time that is not as easy to forget when that song is sung. The Duck and dive is a tribute to that time known as the Battle of Big Hole. During the Nez Perce War of 1877, the Nez Perce has passed through the Bitterroot mountains thinking that they have left the war behind them. There in the Big Hole valley they camped and celebrated thinking they were safe from the soldiers, but that was far from the truth. Aug. 9, 1877 Col Gibbon attacked the sleeping camp of Nez Perce in the early morning. The infantry soldiers then waded across the water and attacked the village. The orders of the day by colonel Gibbon at the time was to shoot low into the tepees, shoot low, three volleys move, three volleys move. That’s exactly what they did, killing sleeping woman and children. Many people died in this battle. There were terrible sounds that came from the Nez Perce camp after the warriors had returned. The soldiers talk about it, as well as Nez Perce. “it was a sound that you never wanted to hear again”. The children dead laying on the ground, babies with heads crushed laying on the ground, their wives killed, their parents killed. And again the cries that came from this place, the sorrow, the sadness.
The two downbeats that every one refers to, are shots fired from a Howitzer cannon in the Battle of Big Hole. Col Gibbons had brought this cannon out thinking that the Nez Perce warriors would be afraid of it, but instead they attacked it. This cannon only got off two shots before the warriors killed the crew and tore the cannon apart.
This song was composed sometime after the Battle of Big hole 1877 and I have heard that it should only be sung for the veterans of war. This song has a lot of meaning so please be mindful.

That’s all
I never herd that story before thank you
hokawicasa is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links