Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Northern Traditional Dancing Eagle Bustle Question Eagle Bustle Question

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-14-2006, 05:09 AM   #1
Northern Traditional

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Steffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond repute
Steffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 410.00
Savings: 722.45
Eagle Bustle Question

I'll be getting another bird in the next few weeks, and I'll be adding an inside, and outside row to my bustle (I currently have 1 row, 52 feathers, I'm thinking about breaking that down to about 40 feathers, and creating a "dish" style on the inside) then using the new golden (immature, still) on the outside..

I have no problems creating the bustle to look exactly how I want it to, I'll probably make the centerpeice (replace my current rosette) with a feathercluster, maybe a single beaded feather coming out of the middle, that might look good..

My question is on wrapping the feathers, when I was younger, yarn was the fashion, as I got older, I noticed more and more people using tape, so I followed, and made some wicked designs out of it, lakota stars, flaming stars, flaming heart... I guess age is kicking in, and I'm not that old... What I'd like to do is do something thats still flashy, can still make a nice design, and is more traditional... as of this moment, my bustle is the only item on my regalia that has any tape..

(Thats pretty good considering not long ago my mandrin bonnet was 90% tape, lol) But, I no longer have the taped flickers, or tape on my roachpins, dance stick, anything... (Okay, I have some holographic tape on my bells, but that doesn't count, thats purely flash)

RC is like my idol, and even he still uses tape, I think because of the ease, variety of colors, and ability to create a decent design...

Tape and yarn both have their pros and cons, and pretty much the same, just tapes quicker, but they can both come apart, and yarn, if it gets wet, forget about it..

So, what I'm asking, is do you have a good alternative?

and I swear, the first guy that wants me to gourd or peyote stictch my bustle, I'm gonna grab the closest club and wrap it around their skull... I've seen beatiful bustles beaded, but I don't want the weight, or the commitment to the colors... I've changed my colors probably 30 times since I was 9, and not even gonna rip apart a bustle like that to change the color.

I think I saw someone use shawl fringe at one time, but seems like it could make a mess... I saw someone else use ribbon, but not sure how it was fastened (hot glue does NOT bother me)

(I'm just hoping this birds feet are in good condition, would like to have some nice uprights this time) ((left foot was all screwed up on the last one I got))

Those of you that know me, know my stuff is black and yellow right now, I wanna throw some more color in, so i'm going with fire, maybe even fire + purple... any advice on bustle decoratoin would be VERY welcomed..
MSN: [email protected]
Steffan Redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-14-2006, 07:51 AM   #2
Me & Eyes are the best !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 64,883.58
Savings: 1.00
I've built several bustles and I like to use embroidery thread. It's alot of wrapping , but it looks really nice when finished. I wrap single thickness and keep it tight. It's available at almost any craft/sewing store and comes in more colors than tape. Good Luck
wardancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-14-2006, 09:34 AM   #3
Northern Traditional

Steffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks!

Sounds great,

How would I tie that off though? I know how thin it is, would be so easy to make some killer designs, so it's a great suggestion... I just need to know how I would tie it... I'd hate it being messy
Old 05-14-2006, 09:57 AM   #4
Me & Eyes are the best !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 64,883.58
I lay the thread along the quill , full length. Then wrap as far as I want , for the design. Then I either tie it off ( the 2 ends) or hot glue it down ( if starting another color ) I overlap 1 thread if I glue it down , that way there's no hump in the wrap. I continue on till the pattern is finished and tie the last one right at the tab. I always start at the top and work down , that way your tie off is always at the bottom where it doesn't show.
wardancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-14-2006, 09:59 AM   #5
Northern Traditional

Lightbulb

Thanks a grip for the tip!

Gonna have to try that soon!

TY again
Old 05-14-2006, 12:52 PM   #6
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 123,607.30
I'm wrapping my bustle with yarn, but you can prolly get more intricate with the embroidery thread. Made my design with tape, then wrapped the yarn over it. I start out by laying the tag end of the yarn along the quill, wrap about 5 or six turns TIGHT, the cut the tag end. Keep wrapping the thread til I'm about 4 or 5 wraps from the end. I take another piece (about 6") and fold it in half (kinda like a loop). Then I lay it on the quill and continue wrapping over it. When I'm near the end of the wrap, I cut it, leaving about 3" of yarn. Stick that end through the loop and pull it back through the last wraps of yarn, then cut the little ends that are sticking up and put a little dab of glue on the end that I cut. I do same colors on one side before I go to the next color. Did I confuse the sh!t out of everybody?LOL

NEwayz, that's how I do it.

JD

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-15-2006, 10:21 AM   #7
Like my new toy?

Privateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 30.00
I did my first bustle with tape and didn't like it b/c it attracted dust like crazy. I'm using yarn on the one I am building right now and like the process. A friend of mine used the embroidery floss for his fancy set, but it took him almost 3 years to complete the set because of the emroidery floss and some major "anal retentive" overconstruction and backups. They are extremely nice looking and built to take a beating from a 14 y.o. hyperactive dancer. Ok that was redundant, fancy dancers usually are hyperactive! LOL.
Privateer6 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-15-2006, 10:46 AM   #8
Northern Traditional

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJJudd
I did my first bustle with tape and didn't like it b/c it attracted dust like crazy. I'm using yarn on the one I am building right now and like the process. A friend of mine used the embroidery floss for his fancy set, but it took him almost 3 years to complete the set because of the emroidery floss and some major "anal retentive" overconstruction and backups. They are extremely nice looking and built to take a beating from a 14 y.o. hyperactive dancer. Ok that was redundant, fancy dancers usually are hyperactive! LOL.
Well, when its done, I'll post some pictures, chances are I'm going to go with a fireburst lakota star, or maybe my cross, if I can get it to look right, I guess we'll see what happens, it shouldn't take me more than a few weeks to do the threading, I can tape a bustle in 2 hours :D
Old 05-19-2006, 12:25 AM   #9
Creeballa23

creeballa23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Talking How to Make a bustle???

Tansi or in other words "hello"
My name is Justin from MB......i just bought a brand new bustle.....wat i was jusst wondering if anyone could teach me how to make one or give me instructions........if soo send to [email protected]......i wanna make my own soo i could feel proud of what i created n i want to wear different outfits when i hit tha trail this summa...

Last edited by creeballa23; 05-19-2006 at 12:28 AM..
creeballa23 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-22-2006, 11:30 PM   #10

CherokeeScoutCB is an unknown quantity at this point
If u can do it fast then do it

I did my shoulder feathers in embroidery thread and it took me about 30 minutes a feather. The Quills were about 4 inches long and I went to a different color about 12 times. what I did is I started by laying the end of the thread up the quill and wrapping over it, then when it was time to change colors I did a square knot (all you boyscouts can look that one up).
Right over left, left over right. then to end it off I just tucked it under the previous one and did that about 3 times. Simmilar to a clove hitch (ask a boyscout lol). and I havent had any problems with it. It looks nice and tight and it wont come appart like my experiences with yarn. I will be doing my double row bustle with yarn just each quill one color. until I determine my design.

Just a thought, what dose everyone think about having a peice or ribbon glued down on top of th quill of the feather?
cause I have done it on my shoulder feathers and now even if the tip gets busted it dosent fall off, and its one more place for that flash.
CherokeeScoutCB is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-23-2006, 08:02 PM   #11
Teen's Contemporary Trad.

sunbursthonor is just really nice
Location: Probably somewhere in the www.powwows.com game room *LOL* no seriously, in GA
i like the idea. and it looks really nice. but why would you break your feathers in the first place? should take better care of your things... especially your regalia.... lol
Old 06-10-2006, 11:19 PM   #12
FANMAKR

spottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond repute
spottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 819.61
For my bustle I wrapped the extentions and quills with buckskin, then did bands of thread wrapping like you would for a fan using nylon thread. Once I finished I sealed the thread with glue, fly tying glue works good. For my son's bustle I made a few years back I used crocheting thread, it similar to yarn but thinner. Couple more ideas for you to think about....

https://www.facebook.com/SpottedeagleFans
spottedeagle is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-12-2006, 12:33 PM   #13
BlueWolf

bluewolf is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Dad
I'm wrapping my bustle with yarn, but you can prolly get more intricate with the embroidery thread. Made my design with tape, then wrapped the yarn over it. I start out by laying the tag end of the yarn along the quill, wrap about 5 or six turns TIGHT, the cut the tag end. Keep wrapping the thread til I'm about 4 or 5 wraps from the end. I take another piece (about 6") and fold it in half (kinda like a loop). Then I lay it on the quill and continue wrapping over it. When I'm near the end of the wrap, I cut it, leaving about 3" of yarn. Stick that end through the loop and pull it back through the last wraps of yarn, then cut the little ends that are sticking up and put a little dab of glue on the end that I cut. I do same colors on one side before I go to the next color. Did I confuse the sh!t out of everybody?LOL

NEwayz, that's how I do it.

JD
LMAO!!!! I was imagining the details of your work trying to make it work, then I saw the end of your line there and starting rolling!!!!!
Old 06-26-2006, 10:45 PM   #14
Disc Jockey

Nipkie has a reputation beyond reputeNipkie has a reputation beyond reputeNipkie has a reputation beyond reputeNipkie has a reputation beyond reputeNipkie has a reputation beyond reputeNipkie has a reputation beyond reputeNipkie has a reputation beyond reputeNipkie has a reputation beyond reputeNipkie has a reputation beyond reputeNipkie has a reputation beyond reputeNipkie has a reputation beyond reputeNipkie has a reputation beyond reputeNipkie has a reputation beyond reputeNipkie has a reputation beyond reputeNipkie has a reputation beyond reputeNipkie has a reputation beyond repute
Steffan from your Brother

I could show you the way Kevin showed me on how to wrap with embroidery thread for a bussel. Because if you reamber his bussel was nothing but embroidery thread. Now I have been lookin at some other ideas myself but I think it would be good if you to try that and let me know how long it takes.... LOL
James
Nipkie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links