Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Northern Traditional Dancing Faning or Whistling up a Drum? Faning or Whistling up a Drum?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2004, 01:28 PM   #1
Justa Dreamer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Vision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 1.00
Faning or Whistling up a Drum?

I was always taught that when someone Fanned or whistled up a drum that all the Tradional Dancers line up in two lines to make a path from the Eagle staff, in the middle, to whatever drum is singing. No one was is allowed to enter the path either, just the dancers who fanned or whistle was allowed in that space. SO of course everyone stop going around and danced in whatever space they had. Another person said that only four people line up with the dancer who fanned or whistled up the drum. and the circle wasn't cut off. I ain't saying that either one is right or wrong but I was wondering what everyone else was taught?

Thanks,
C.J.
Vision_Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2004, 02:42 PM   #2
Tiny Tot Dancer

boman19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 230.00
Savings: 0.00
I've never herd of this. Can you explain about fanning or whistling up a drum somemore? This to me is very interesting, and i would like to learn more about this.
boman19 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2004, 03:44 PM   #3
Flat E!

Emmy has a reputation beyond repute
Emmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,133.61
i dont think any1 will answer u. 4 the same reason pictures and recording isnt allowed...

um... ask some1 from ur community and elder. they can better help u

~Flat Beat~
Emmy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2004, 07:56 PM   #4
*Graceless Grass Dancer*

Dancin by the bay is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: Faning or Whistling up a Drum?

Quote:
Originally posted by Vision_Dreamer
I was always taught that when someone Fanned or whistled up a drum that all the Tradional Dancers line up in two lines to make a path from the Eagle staff, in the middle, to whatever drum is singing. No one was is allowed to enter the path either, just the dancers who fanned or whistle was allowed in that space. SO of course everyone stop going around and danced in whatever space they had. Another person said that only four people line up with the dancer who fanned or whistled up the drum. and the circle wasn't cut off. I ain't saying that either one is right or wrong but I was wondering what everyone else was taught?

Thanks,
C.J.
This is new to me what a good topic.

Dancin by the bay is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2004, 08:52 PM   #5
Justa Dreamer

Vision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond reputeVision_Dreamer has a reputation beyond repute
lol i didn't know that many people has never heard of this????
Old 02-12-2004, 10:51 PM   #6
Tiny Tot Dancer

boman19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 230.00
I guess this doesn't go on down here in Texas that much.
boman19 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2004, 10:59 PM   #7
Breath Inspector

eagleclan22 is just really nice
That suprises me that some of these mens trad. never "heard" of this too!!

http://pages.ivillage.com/sagkeengpowwow2003/

Some guys are good with their drum sticks.... and some just arent...:karate:
eagleclan22 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2004, 09:09 AM   #8
Smell my cookin'

The Rock has a spectacular aura about
Credits: 40.00
Well said and I agree with you. If some crazy person starts wavin' a fan or using a homemade whistle. Watch out. Those ways are real and have power when done right. To try it because it looks cool or saying "the spirit led me there" is wrong and be prepared. Some real powwow peeps might call you up to speak publicly about why you did what you did and a heavy fine could be laid on you (i.e. losin' your whole outfit).

that's all I'm gonna say about that.
The Rock is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2004, 09:17 AM   #9
Tiny Tot Dancer

tradish 4 you is on a distinguished road
agreeing with singerdad and the rock

not something to take lightly personally i know a little about whistling a drum but would never do so because i don't understand the complexity thats involved.

i had a friend whistle up a drum once and he asked me to stand on the side and make sure people stayed out of his way(people have no respect in the east) he was a sun dancer though and had that right he was also the whipman and made prior arrangements with the arena director and mc and powwow committe even with all this he still made a nice donation for the powwow next year

there is alot involved

toksa ake
tradish 4 you is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2004, 09:48 AM   #10
Smell my cookin'

The Rock has a spectacular aura about
Credits: 40.00
Thumbs up

what he said.....
The Rock is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2004, 10:35 AM   #11
Justa Dreamer

AS far as fanning up a drum goes i was taught that is you fan up a Southern Drum, the powwow is over and everyone goes home, or just that drum leaves....i don't know about Northern.

I have heard the same thing Tradish said. If you are a sun dancer, you have a pipe and a whistle. I forget how they told me excatly but thats basiclly what they said.

Last edited by Vision_Dreamer; 02-13-2004 at 10:40 AM..
Old 02-13-2004, 11:21 AM   #12
Justa Dreamer

lol hey don't bash it, it's just a southern thing. i get what you are saying about the whistle but as tradish said i have seen a sundancer use his whistle to whistle up the drum
Old 02-13-2004, 11:24 AM   #13
Justa Dreamer

lol i really didn't mean everyone goes home, i have never seen this but i have seen drums leave. I guess if you only had one drum unless you got another one real quick everyone would go home
Old 02-13-2004, 09:03 PM   #14
Tiny Tot Dancer

tradish 4 you is on a distinguished road
thats what i said previously i don't know everything about it. i know he has his whistle cause he is a sun dancer but i am also fairly sure he is not a whistle carrier for like a designated community or family like i said i don't know everything.

but he did ask me to stand on the side right or wrong i was not about to say no
tradish 4 you is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2004, 04:13 AM   #15
www.wakalapi.com

Wakalapi has a reputation beyond repute
Wakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 336.00
Up here in the NW, there seems to be *ALOT* of drum whistling, fanning or charging. Chalk another one up to the "things-are-done-differently-from-place-to-place" cliche.
Old 02-20-2004, 07:29 AM   #16
Justa Dreamer

Quote:
Originally posted by Wakalapi
Up here in the NW, there seems to be *ALOT* of drum whistling, fanning or charging. Chalk another one up to the "things-are-done-differently-from-place-to-place" cliche.

Quick Question: Charging is fanning, right? I have never heard of this term just curious?
Old 02-20-2004, 07:46 AM   #17
Pow Wow Visitor

The Old One is an unknown quantity at this point
I have seen many different ways that a drum has been whistled but I have only seen an eagle Fan used when fanning.....I would be very upset if someone tried to fan up a drum with someother kind of fan. I would assume that all of you know that only an eagle fan can be used to fan up a drum?

:chief:
The Old One is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2004, 02:11 PM   #18
PowWows.com Addicts

Items Panda
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,339.79
The powwow I was at this past weekend, there was a man from Montana that blew his whistle on a drum. Then when he stated his reason for doing so, he stated that he was happy cuz his home town ball team went to state or won state, (can't remember). Anyway, I was wondering if this was a frivolous reason for blowing a whistle, as it seems that the reasons would be more important or substantial than your hometown team winning a ball game. What I am wondering is: Was this a valid reason to blow a whistle or was it like "playing with it"?
Thanks for any response.
Kakeeya is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2004, 02:44 PM   #19
Tiny Tot Dancer

Creebead is on a distinguished road
whistleing a drum

As my family and my husbands family was taught, when you whistle a drum it is done with the utmost respect for what you're doing as well as the drum you are given the honor too.

I did not see fanning of drums till we went out to California.
Not sure where that came from but each tribe, clan, place and ones' own traditions are different.

I would hope someone on this site would know of fanning and where it comes from. We have vast knowledge on this web site and to know of other traditions only makes us more knowledgeable.
Creebead is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2004, 05:12 PM   #20
Pow Wow Visitor

sneakup 49 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have never heard of fanning, but yes here in northern AZ the drum does get whistled sometimes. But thats all I'm going to say you need to speak with an elder about this these thing are not to be discussed on the Internet.

Sneakup
sneakup 49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links