Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Northern Traditional Dancing Hair feathers Hair feathers

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-17-2008, 08:37 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
fly_high_life has a reputation beyond reputefly_high_life has a reputation beyond reputefly_high_life has a reputation beyond reputefly_high_life has a reputation beyond reputefly_high_life has a reputation beyond reputefly_high_life has a reputation beyond reputefly_high_life has a reputation beyond reputefly_high_life has a reputation beyond reputefly_high_life has a reputation beyond reputefly_high_life has a reputation beyond reputefly_high_life has a reputation beyond reputefly_high_life has a reputation beyond reputefly_high_life has a reputation beyond reputefly_high_life has a reputation beyond reputefly_high_life has a reputation beyond reputefly_high_life has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,504.33
Savings: 0.00
Hair feathers

Ok, so I looked for this info on here and couldn't find it. Maybe I'm just retarted, haha. So, if anyone knows of another thread abt this, please gimme a link! Thanks.

So I have been wondering. What's the best way you know of to attach feathers in your hair? Not a visor or anything, but you know the bunch of feathers or the "mini flat fan" side feathers up near the roach. I have shorter-ish hair so should I try to tie them on some how....or how do YOU do it? Can anyone help me out on this? thanks.
fly_high_life is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-17-2008, 09:42 PM   #2
tx fancy shawl and jingle

Items Present
Dovie Shannon is a name known to all
Credits: 590.00
is your hair long enough for a mini braid? if you can make a small braid, you can tie the feathers through the braid like i do. that small braid is also known as a "scalp lock". works well for me. the feathers don't fall out.
Dovie Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-17-2008, 10:03 PM   #3
Pow Wow Visitor

fly_high_life has a reputation beyond reputefly_high_life has a reputation beyond reputefly_high_life has a reputation beyond reputefly_high_life has a reputation beyond reputefly_high_life has a reputation beyond reputefly_high_life has a reputation beyond reputefly_high_life has a reputation beyond reputefly_high_life has a reputation beyond reputefly_high_life has a reputation beyond reputefly_high_life has a reputation beyond reputefly_high_life has a reputation beyond reputefly_high_life has a reputation beyond reputefly_high_life has a reputation beyond reputefly_high_life has a reputation beyond reputefly_high_life has a reputation beyond reputefly_high_life has a reputation beyond repute
Well, it's just long enough to tie on my roach. I say "tie" b/c it's not quite long enough to use a braid. I have to tie in some sinew w/ it and use that. Haha! But do you put a loop at the end of the feathers and just braid it in and then secure the end of the braid? Cause I think mine would stick out and look kinda weird cuz it's not quite long enough to hang down. Lol. Is there a way to do it w/ shorter hair?
Old 06-18-2008, 12:00 AM   #4

Items Present
my scalp feathers have two small leather strips and i tie them into my braid after i braid it. i put on strip through the top of my braid and then tie both strips together in a knot.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:31 AM   #5
Pow Wow Visitor

oh ok i gotcha. i'll try that then, thanks!
Old 06-18-2008, 12:34 AM   #6

Items Present
i hope that has helped and works for you.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:09 AM   #7
Arena Director

powwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond repute
powwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 210.00
are you wearing a roach? If so how do you attach it? Where exactly are you wanting to wear the scalp feathers at? I tie my roach on rather than pinning so my scalp feathers are attached to the string I tie the roach on with. I have a flat leather strap that comes off the feathers and that has holes in it. The strings pass through those holes and they just slide right up them until they meet the roach base. Then when the roach is tied on so are the feathers.

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda

My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.
powwowbum49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-18-2008, 05:32 PM   #8
tx straight dancer

rodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond repute
rodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 7,469.70
i have a small rosette with a hair bow clip on the back that my scalp feather hang from, can clip it to my hair or my roach string
rodond is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-18-2008, 11:10 PM   #9
Pow Wow Visitor

Yes, I wear a roach. I usually pin it on like this...I take some hair and tie a piece of sinew to the the base of the hair, then I divide the hair in 2 and tie the sinew over it. Then I cross the hair over it and tie the sinew again between that. I keep doing that 'til it is long enough to fit up through the roach base and then pin it on.

My hair's not really long enough to just braid it and pin it. But that works pretty well and keeps it tight.

I want to put the scalp feathers near the base of the roach somewhere. I guess I could tie it up under the roach, but I'm afraid it would slide around. Does it usually slide on you, powwowbum?

I haven't made the scalp feathers yet so I'm just trying to get some ideas.

Thank you to all who have helped me! these are some good ideas, I appreciate it!
Old 06-19-2008, 08:32 AM   #10
Arena Director

powwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond repute
powwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 210.00
I used to use hook and eyes...like are on ladies bras. I would put a couple of eys on the bottom of the roach base and then the hooks on the leather strap coming off the scalp feathers. you can then just hook one to the other. This works great as long as you wear the roach forward onm the head, but not so good if you wear it back by the crown.

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda

My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.
powwowbum49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-19-2008, 12:30 PM   #11
Pow Wow Visitor

oh ok cool. yeah i wear it forward.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:43 PM   #12
Two Horses

Two Horses has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Horses has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Horses has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Horses has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Horses has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Horses has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Horses has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Horses has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Horses has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Horses has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Horses has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Horses has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Horses has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Horses has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Horses has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Horses has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Horses has a reputation beyond reputeTwo Horses has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 514.74
Yeah, with short hair it's tuff. If you use a roach, you can use a bottom layer under the weave of the porky; that way it won't interfer with the deer hair either. A thin pice of hide will do. You'll have to make a hole for the tie to drop thru, okay. Next, you can attach your feathers to a rosette and then back that with a piece of rawhide so that around the rosette, it's, you know... round and then comes to a flat piece tongue that will slip up between the roach the bottom leather you just made. So it too has to have a hole in it for the tie to pass thru. As you can figure, the bottom layer and the "hager" for the feathers has to be pretty thin so as not to skew the porky. OR.... Let your hair grow and you can wave it itno your hair! Hope this helps. Lastly, ask your fellow N.T. Dancers about this at the next pow wow. Most guys will give you help -- we all want to look good. Go for it!
T.H.
Two Horses is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2008, 10:19 AM   #13
The bear is out!

Items DevilTree
Tibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond repute
Tibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,915.95
I have a different solution, for some it may work too. I take small leg bones and carve them as sliders that fit on small amounts of hair. Usually young wolf leg bones for this. So I cut the bone about 1.5 inches long and cut away the back so that about 0.5 inch is left of the ring section. The rest I carve into a feather shape with a hole to attach the scalp feathers! It looks like a ring but instead of for your hand it fits onto short or long hair braids and lasts forever!

For thick hair I use adult wolf leg bones or even bear leg bones, here the carved feather can be up to 3 inches long and really stands out well. You can even use the slide as a day to day hair ornament.

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
Stand behind our troops or stand IN FRONT of them.
Tibiki Kinew is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links