Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Northern Traditional Dancing http://reallegalfeathers.com/ http://reallegalfeathers.com/

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-18-2007, 05:32 AM   #41
Powwow King

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
redthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scale
Credits: 221.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czechy View Post
I thought I would jump in here with a picture.
The top feather is a painted one from Sioux Specialties.
The bottom one is from Real Legal Feathers.
As you can see, they look pretty good from a distance but once you get within 2 feet, then you can see the brush marks where the dye was applied.
so is the top one stiff?

Which one is more accurate?

"You need to find yourself a girl, mate... Or, perhaps the reason you practice three hours a day is that you already found one and are otherwise incapable of wooing said strumpet. You're not a eunuch, are you? [looks down]"
-Captain Jack Sparrow
redthunder is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-18-2007, 05:17 PM   #42
wrapped in ribbonwork!

Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,732.09
The top feather is not stiff although, as others have said, the webbing of the feather doesn't go back together well if separated because of the coating of paint.

I like the looks and detail of the top feather but the brown color is not quite right. Looks a little "flat" and not as rich and saturated a color as it should be. The bottom feather has the right coloring but the overall look is a bit too perfect for my taste.

A fake will always look like a fake, no matter what. If I can't get the real thing, my preference is to use the best looking natural (legal) feathers that one can find. I like the Black Spanish or the all white turkey feathers. I've also seen a few rare peafowl hybrid feathers that look really nice but are hard to find in quantity and at a reasonable price.
Czechy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-20-2007, 03:38 AM   #43
Powwow King

redthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scale
see, i can get the feathers, but it's from family and technically not legal. so yeah. I was looking at a few alternatives. don't intend on waiting for the repository either.

any more pics woul be awesome!!

thanks so much everyone!

"You need to find yourself a girl, mate... Or, perhaps the reason you practice three hours a day is that you already found one and are otherwise incapable of wooing said strumpet. You're not a eunuch, are you? [looks down]"
-Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 07-20-2007, 03:38 AM   #44
Powwow King

see, i can get the feathers, but it's from family and technically not legal. so yeah. I was looking at a few alternatives. don't intend on waiting for the repository either.

any more pics woul be awesome!!

thanks so much everyone!

-Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 07-20-2007, 05:35 PM   #45
Powwow King

thankyou very much for teh pictures. you're the best! rep!

anymore is greatly appreciated!

-Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 07-27-2007, 02:55 AM   #46
Powwow King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czechy View Post
I thought I would jump in here with a picture.
The top feather is a painted one from Sioux Specialties.
The bottom one is from Real Legal Feathers.
As you can see, they look pretty good from a distance but once you get within 2 feet, then you can see the brush marks where the dye was applied.
so...can you see the brush marks on both feathers??

-Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 07-27-2007, 02:09 PM   #47
Father of Tiny Tot Dancer

scottlollar has a reputation beyond reputescottlollar has a reputation beyond reputescottlollar has a reputation beyond reputescottlollar has a reputation beyond reputescottlollar has a reputation beyond reputescottlollar has a reputation beyond reputescottlollar has a reputation beyond reputescottlollar has a reputation beyond reputescottlollar has a reputation beyond reputescottlollar has a reputation beyond reputescottlollar has a reputation beyond reputescottlollar has a reputation beyond reputescottlollar has a reputation beyond reputescottlollar has a reputation beyond reputescottlollar has a reputation beyond reputescottlollar has a reputation beyond reputescottlollar has a reputation beyond reputescottlollar has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 160.00
Savings: 1.00
I haven't bought any of these feathers, yet. But I have spoken with the man who creates them (he's a N Trad dancer and Northern singer), and I have seen many of them up close and got to handle some as well.
The way I understand it is the man who creates these is a Chemical Engineer for DOW or another company like that. He has worked out a process that stains the feathers, without painting them. The feathers don't get the hard, 'can't go back together' problem that painted feathers have. You can separate the vanes and re-connect them just like a natural feather. In fact on at least two occassions the validity of these feathers has been questioned by inspectors and the staining had to be pointed out by others around at the time.
I like them, and if I could afford painted or stained feathers, I'd much prefer these feathers to painted ones.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Quick to judge,
Quick to anger,
Slow to understand
Ignorance and prejudice
And fear walk hand in hand.
--Neal Peart(from the song Witch Hunt)
scottlollar is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-27-2007, 02:38 PM   #48
wrapped in ribbonwork!

Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,732.09
The brush strokes on the bottom feather are only seen on the small brown speckles. They have a "feathery" (sorry) look to them, like you get when one color bleeds onto another.

The painted feather looks to me like it was airbrushed which is the only way to get the very fine mist of speckles and gradations of color density.

If there was a way to combine the detail of the top feather with the staining technique of the lower feather, that would be the coolest thing. And it would keep all the wildlife officers really busy, lol...
Czechy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-27-2007, 05:55 PM   #49
Powwow King

hahaha, that's funny.

So how is there a way to tell wildlife officials they're wrong and it's dyed?

-Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 07-27-2007, 09:10 PM   #50
tx straight dancer

rodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond repute
rodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 7,469.70
the best way would have them look at the shaft a eagle has a solid round shaft where a turkey feather which most fake ones are made with have a flat side on the back
rodond is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-28-2007, 04:11 AM   #51
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

WocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
WocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,094.49
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob smiley View Post
I ordered a bustle from them last fall. He had it to me in 4 weeks and its great! I danced with it a few times now and the feathers still look perfect. And as stated, you can really only tell their not real eagle from closer than a few feet.
Nice looking bustle. I still would not use these on my own outfits, but they might be an alternative for items that other people want me to make.
WocusWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-28-2007, 04:11 AM   #52
Powwow King

hmmm...

..im debating wether or not i should mix fake with real. I have a lot of real feathers without paperwork (family feathers).

-Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 08-01-2007, 10:12 PM   #53
me

bob smiley is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 721.19
Sorry it took so long. The centerpiece was made to match by the guy and he does it in the colors you ask but it does cost more. Hope these help.
bob smiley is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-2007, 12:00 AM   #54
me

bob smiley is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 721.19
Sorry i thought it posted my pics but it seems i can't get them to load
bob smiley is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-2007, 03:05 AM   #55
Powwow King

hmm...try uploading to ImageShack® - Hosting

-Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 08-03-2007, 07:36 AM   #56
Banned

kiowakat is a splendid one to beholdkiowakat is a splendid one to beholdkiowakat is a splendid one to beholdkiowakat is a splendid one to behold
Credits: 0.00
hiya redthunder...just pic of tail...
Attached Thumbnails
0024530-r1-012-4a.jpg  
kiowakat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-2007, 04:08 PM   #57
Powwow King

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiowakat View Post
where's the tail from?

-Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 08-03-2007, 04:14 PM   #58
Banned

kiowakat is a splendid one to beholdkiowakat is a splendid one to beholdkiowakat is a splendid one to beholdkiowakat is a splendid one to behold
Credits: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiowakat View Post
I know of only one man who tied the tail togther like this, but this pic was flyin LOL around on the internet. hehehe
kiowakat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-2007, 04:25 PM   #59
Powwow King

LOL...what? i didn't understand that...haha...

...go on aim.

-Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 09-03-2007, 04:53 PM   #60
Powwow King

bump.

-Captain Jack Sparrow
Sponsored Links