Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree15Likes
  • 2 Post By wanjica_the_one
  • 2 Post By blueberry111
  • 7 Post By wardancer
  • 1 Post By austanley5
  • 3 Post By wardancer

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Northern Traditional Dancing Mop top vs. Dog soldier? Mop top vs. Dog soldier?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 10:47 AM   #1
austanley5

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Mop top vs. Dog soldier?

Hello, again! I've been on all 22 pages of this forum and can't find the answer I'm looking for. What is the difference in a mop top headdress and a dog soldier headdress? I know the dog soldiers used magpie (not sure if I spelled that right) feathers and mop tops use birds like turkey, crow, etc. Also, who can wear mop tops? I saw on another thread that someone asked this but people only said that he couldn't wear a dog soldier headdress. They never said anything about a mop top. I've also looked for answers on this (even went to the 2nd page of google and you know it's pretty much a lot cause if you have to do that) but can ONLY find info on the dog soldier heardresses... Much Thanks to all who can help!
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #2
Pow Wow Visitor

Items PresentDolphinDevil
wanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond repute
wanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 36,829.89
Savings: 0.00
High school gossip says that you won't like the answer and this thread will end up "closed" like the other one.
wardancer and Ndnsoldierboy like this.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:36 PM   #3
blueberry

Items User Name Style ChangeUser Title Change
blueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond repute
blueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,507.37
Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by austanley5 View Post
Hello, again! I've been on all 22 pages of this forum and can't find the answer I'm looking for. What is the difference in a mop top headdress and a dog soldier headdress? I know the dog soldiers used magpie (not sure if I spelled that right) feathers and mop tops use birds like turkey, crow, etc. Also, who can wear mop tops? I saw on another thread that someone asked this but people only said that he couldn't wear a dog soldier headdress. They never said anything about a mop top. I've also looked for answers on this (even went to the 2nd page of google and you know it's pretty much a lot cause if you have to do that) but can ONLY find info on the dog soldier heardresses... Much Thanks to all who can help!
There isn't a difference really, those headdresses are for the ones who earned them or have family rights to them, and are from those nations. Don't jump into wearing things without research!
Edit: since you say you are cherokee, I'd share the diversity of your own tribe and not copy the plains ones. Turbans or eastern roaches are of your nations, as well as beautiful floral beadwork, yarn woven sashes and fine cloth.
WhoMe and Ndnsoldierboy like this.

Last edited by blueberry111; 03-24-2013 at 03:39 PM..
blueberry111 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-24-2013, 04:36 PM   #4
austanley5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mato-Zi-Win View Post
There isn't a difference really, those headdresses are for the ones who earned them or have family rights to them, and are from those nations. Don't jump into wearing things without research!
Edit: since you say you are cherokee, I'd share the diversity of your own tribe and not copy the plains ones. Turbans or eastern roaches are of your nations, as well as beautiful floral beadwork, yarn woven sashes and fine cloth.
I wasn't planning on wearing one. I was just wanting to know what they were and who wore them. I saw one in a picture and it struck my interest. I did research and found the many names for headdresses of that style and some basic info on them but I was just wondering :)
Old 03-24-2013, 04:39 PM   #5
austanley5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanjica_the_one View Post
High school gossip says that you won't like the answer and this thread will end up "closed" like the other one.
Actually, It was just a question as to what they are, who wore them, etc. I wasn't looking for someone to tell me I can wear one or can't. Quite frankly, I don't really want one. The style struck my interest and I asked a question. Thanks for your input though!
Old 03-24-2013, 06:23 PM   #6
Me & Eyes are the best !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 70,611.59
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
There isn't a difference really, those headdresses are for the ones who earned them or have family rights to them, and are from those nations.

Just so you know , there are major differences in the make-up of the hat , arrangement of the feathers , types of feathers , and the rights to wear such hats. I have nothing to offer the O.P.

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
wardancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-24-2013, 06:44 PM   #7
austanley5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardancer View Post
Just so you know , there are major differences in the make-up of the hat , arrangement of the feathers , types of feathers , and the rights to wear such hats. I have nothing to offer the O.P.
Thank you for you're post (really this time). I thought there was a difference and that post kind of confused me. Good to hear it from someone who actually wears one! At least I assume you do, due to your avatar...
Old 03-24-2013, 07:51 PM   #8
blueberry

Items User Name Style ChangeUser Title Change
blueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond repute
blueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond reputeblueberry111 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,507.37
Quote:
Thank you for you're post (really this time). I thought there was a difference and that post kind of confused me. Good to hear it from someone who actually wears one! At least I assume you do, due to your avatar...
They all looked the same to me lol. Learned something new
blueberry111 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-24-2013, 07:57 PM   #9
austanley5

Quote:
They all looked the same to me lol. Learned something new
I've noticed that the dog soldier ones tend to cover the eyes with a visor-like thing and the mandans, mop tops, etc don't. it's just a feather hat without the visor.
blueberry111 likes this.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:41 PM   #10
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,584.70
Quote:
During the 2007 National Powwow, we invited a man from the Ft. Berthold reservation in North Dakota to come share information with us about the Mandan Headdress. In my conversation with him he said there were 3 living members of the society that wore this headdress. Unfortunately he was not able to come because another society he belongs to was having their doings and it was the same weekend. So he didn't come.

I know this headdress has a nickname of "moptop" but this is kind of a derogatory term to those still in this society.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:01 PM   #11
Junior Dancer

running_with_buffs has a reputation beyond repute
running_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,080.18
@ wardancer

im asking about your moptop sir it looks like a buncha chicken hawk and buzzard feathers? is that what yours is ?
running_with_buffs is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2013, 07:06 PM   #12
Me & Eyes are the best !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by running_with_buffs View Post
im asking about your moptop sir it looks like a buncha chicken hawk and buzzard feathers? is that what yours is ?
red tail hawk and eagle.

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 03-25-2013, 07:53 PM   #13
Junior Dancer

running_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond reputerunning_with_buffs has a reputation beyond repute
Wow! That's neat gonna make me one just to look at
Old 03-25-2013, 08:33 PM   #14
Tiny Tot Dancer

Items Guitar
SsmalltownNDN has a reputation beyond reputeSsmalltownNDN has a reputation beyond repute
SsmalltownNDN has a reputation beyond reputeSsmalltownNDN has a reputation beyond reputeSsmalltownNDN has a reputation beyond reputeSsmalltownNDN has a reputation beyond reputeSsmalltownNDN has a reputation beyond reputeSsmalltownNDN has a reputation beyond reputeSsmalltownNDN has a reputation beyond reputeSsmalltownNDN has a reputation beyond reputeSsmalltownNDN has a reputation beyond reputeSsmalltownNDN has a reputation beyond reputeSsmalltownNDN has a reputation beyond reputeSsmalltownNDN has a reputation beyond reputeSsmalltownNDN has a reputation beyond reputeSsmalltownNDN has a reputation beyond reputeSsmalltownNDN has a reputation beyond reputeSsmalltownNDN has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 3,135.67
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe View Post
During the 2007 National Powwow, we invited a man from the Ft. Berthold reservation in North Dakota to come share information with us about the Mandan Headdress. In my conversation with him he said there were 3 living members of the society that wore this headdress. Unfortunately he was not able to come because another society he belongs to was having their doings and it was the same weekend. So he didn't come.

I know this headdress has a nickname of "moptop" but this is kind of a derogatory term to those still in this society.
hmm. Never knew that. Learned something new today too!
SsmalltownNDN is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2013, 08:47 PM   #15
Me & Eyes are the best !

Items DevilPresent
Quote:
Originally Posted by running_with_buffs View Post
Wow! That's neat gonna make me one just to look at
I guess you can do whatever you wish ! I can tell you where you can shove it !

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 03-25-2013, 09:08 PM   #16
Junior Dancer

is the same place u shove your chicken hawk and buzzard feathers....haha! Anyways just jokin wardancer don't get all worked up I hhope I can say that to you since you can say whatever you want to me
Sponsored Links