Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Northern Traditional Dancing Need help with bustle Need help with bustle

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2008, 11:09 PM   #1
Show me the Frybread...

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Highwolf89 has a reputation beyond reputeHighwolf89 has a reputation beyond reputeHighwolf89 has a reputation beyond reputeHighwolf89 has a reputation beyond reputeHighwolf89 has a reputation beyond reputeHighwolf89 has a reputation beyond reputeHighwolf89 has a reputation beyond reputeHighwolf89 has a reputation beyond reputeHighwolf89 has a reputation beyond reputeHighwolf89 has a reputation beyond reputeHighwolf89 has a reputation beyond reputeHighwolf89 has a reputation beyond reputeHighwolf89 has a reputation beyond reputeHighwolf89 has a reputation beyond reputeHighwolf89 has a reputation beyond reputeHighwolf89 has a reputation beyond reputeHighwolf89 has a reputation beyond reputeHighwolf89 has a reputation beyond reputeHighwolf89 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,811.64
Savings: 0.00
Need help with bustle

Hi, I am having trouble with my bustle staying open while dancing i was thinking about tieing a piece of leather to keep the bustle open but i wanted to see first what people are doing out there to keep there bustle open while dancing.
Highwolf89 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-15-2008, 02:08 AM   #2
Pow Wow Visitor

KP HOOD is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 210.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwolf89 View Post
Hi, I am having trouble with my bustle staying open while dancing i was thinking about tieing a piece of leather to keep the bustle open but i wanted to see first what people are doing out there to keep there bustle open while dancing.
TRY A SPREADER
KP HOOD is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-15-2008, 02:57 AM   #3
Powwow King

redthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scale
Credits: 221.00
Post a pic of your bustle.

"You need to find yourself a girl, mate... Or, perhaps the reason you practice three hours a day is that you already found one and are otherwise incapable of wooing said strumpet. You're not a eunuch, are you? [looks down]"
-Captain Jack Sparrow
redthunder is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-15-2008, 05:10 AM   #4
Pow Wow Visitor

KP HOOD is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 210.00
Wish I could. Its in peices I changed the colors of my outfit so I'm rewrapping the shafts to match. I bead a pill bottle about 2 inches and use a 4 inch rosette on rawhide for my spreader. the bigger the rosette or shorter the pill bottle less movement you have.
KP HOOD is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-15-2008, 03:22 PM   #5
Like my new toy?

Privateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 30.00
Savings: 1.00
I've used a film canister and cd with a POW/MIA sticker for one bustle, and a wooden dowel rod approx 3"-4" and a white plate for the second bustle. It allows the bustle to move a little, but not completely close up.
Privateer6 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-15-2008, 05:41 PM   #6
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,589.70
Quote:
..... but i wanted to see first what people are doing out there to keep there bustle open while dancing.

Try relaxing your buns?
Old 04-17-2008, 11:32 PM   #7
Show me the Frybread...

Highwolf89 has a reputation beyond reputeHighwolf89 has a reputation beyond reputeHighwolf89 has a reputation beyond reputeHighwolf89 has a reputation beyond reputeHighwolf89 has a reputation beyond reputeHighwolf89 has a reputation beyond reputeHighwolf89 has a reputation beyond reputeHighwolf89 has a reputation beyond reputeHighwolf89 has a reputation beyond reputeHighwolf89 has a reputation beyond reputeHighwolf89 has a reputation beyond reputeHighwolf89 has a reputation beyond reputeHighwolf89 has a reputation beyond reputeHighwolf89 has a reputation beyond reputeHighwolf89 has a reputation beyond reputeHighwolf89 has a reputation beyond reputeHighwolf89 has a reputation beyond reputeHighwolf89 has a reputation beyond reputeHighwolf89 has a reputation beyond repute
Here are pics of my bustle still cant get it to stay open like it should.

Any help with how i can get it to stay open would be appreciated...

Last edited by Highwolf89; 04-18-2008 at 11:14 PM..
Old 04-20-2008, 08:10 AM   #8
Powwow King

redthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scale
When my uncle made my bustle, he made a spreader. He got a lid to a hard plastic cup/mug (the plastic cups used for hot liquids), drilled two holes in it. Next he cut out a rawhide circle, and also cut two holes in that. The rawhide was bigger than the cup lid. He then took a braid of sweet grass and wrapped it to make a circle. He cut a hole in the center of the rawhide, and tied an eagle plume through the sweet grass, through the rawhide, and through the plastic lid. Make sure if you use this method, that you make sure you cut the rawhide big enough where the bustle stays put under the lid.

"You need to find yourself a girl, mate... Or, perhaps the reason you practice three hours a day is that you already found one and are otherwise incapable of wooing said strumpet. You're not a eunuch, are you? [looks down]"
-Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 04-20-2008, 10:35 AM   #9
FANMAKR

spottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond repute
spottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 819.61
Savings: 1.00
I did something similar to what red thunder is talking about on mine. I used a piece of raw hide big enough to cover all the feather loops. Then I punched holes in the center and attached my rossette through those holes. You can decorated the raw hide in a number of ways. You can attach fluffs, bead a piece to attach, paint it, or a combination of things.

https://www.facebook.com/SpottedeagleFans
spottedeagle is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-20-2008, 01:18 PM   #10
Show me the Frybread...

Wado I did it the way you guys were talking about and it works great thank you. For all your guys help everyone that posted on this Thread.

Wado
Old 04-21-2008, 04:42 AM   #11
Powwow King

Feel free to rep. BWUAHAHA.

-Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 04-27-2008, 07:10 PM   #12
Northern Tradish

danceman457 is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 767.30
Savings: 23.80
one cool idea instead of a rosette.... try a turtle shell this is what i use on mine drill hole in one side and out the other and run a peice of leather through it..... looks really cool
Old 04-29-2008, 11:57 PM   #13
Pow Wow Visitor

mattathayde is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
what i have done on both of my bustles ive made was to use a CD as the main piece to spread. on my more recent one (2 layer) i used an electrical tape container behind to keep the feathers spread in the right shape and then attached the cd which is covered in a rosette on top of that. a better way is if you can cut a piece of wood and attach something a little more sturdy because mine, while it has worked for about 3-4 years of light use isnt not as stable as i would like.

i cant get a pic of my set up because im off at school right now but if you need a pic to understand it better i can get one in about a week
-matt
mattathayde is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-30-2008, 12:20 AM   #14
Show me the Frybread...

if you could get a pic of it that would be great.......
Old 04-30-2008, 12:22 AM   #15
Pow Wow Visitor

Quote:
if you could get a pic of it that would be great.......
will do

if i dont get back by next wed or thurs feel free to bug me, i have finals this week and am moving out of dorms so i might forget
-matt
Old 04-30-2008, 10:28 PM   #16
White tail

owlsong is an unknown quantity at this point
Questions

I do not see a stringer inbetween the dowel rods, is there one there? This is used to keep the dowels evenly spaced when strung up to the two risers. I maintain my teachings with using only natural materials and I would have used stiff leather as a spreader. The less flexible the spreader, the less the dowels would move, I assume this is what you are after? You do not want a swing bustle? Swing bustles are better as they collapse while walking through crowds of people that do not respect the feathers and best simulate the wings of a bird.
owlsong is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-30-2008, 10:48 PM   #17
Show me the Frybread...

I never thought of that.. This is true...
Old 05-01-2008, 08:13 PM   #18
White tail

owlsong is an unknown quantity at this point
Broken feathers

The first pow-wow with a new traditional round bustle and during an inner-tribal a young boy (not native) broke two feathers and looked at me like I was in his way. I guess I learned the hard way.
owlsong is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2008, 06:48 PM   #19
Pow Wow Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlsong View Post
The first pow-wow with a new traditional round bustle and during an inner-tribal a young boy (not native) broke two feathers and looked at me like I was in his way. I guess I learned the hard way.
ya ive had that happen but ive also had a lady lean around the bench i was sitting on right over and into my bustle and bent some of the tips on my hand paints. didnt even act like anything happened, didnt even give me an excuse me to try and get by.

o well, that was a while ago and cant do much about it now

-matt
Old 05-04-2008, 01:39 AM   #20
Powwow King

^^If it wasn't fake, It would have survived.

-Captain Jack Sparrow
Sponsored Links