Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Northern Traditional Dancing New to dancing New to dancing

Closed Thread LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2005, 07:00 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
DevanB is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
New to dancing

the other night my scoutmaster made me dance at a pow wow at the 2005 national scout jamboree. I loved it and would like to start dancing but don't know where to start. I don't know how to dance that good and im ready to learn and spend time can someone help me? Im dancing northern traditional.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:16 AM   #2
Teen's Contemporary Trad.

sunbursthonor is just really nice
Location: Probably somewhere in the www.powwows.com game room *LOL* no seriously, in GA
Thumbs up Great!!!

Si-Yo,
I, too was at the National Scout Jamboree. I had all of my regalia and danced as well, maybe I met you? I danced Contemporary Traditional, it was awesome! There were 30 dancers, and ALL styles of dance were done, including the women's styles. Please Private Message me and I will get back to you on it to help.--- Note to ALL powwows.com'ers... Please write something to this kid and DON'T shun him as some was done such to me when I expressed my concern about dancing.
Wa-Do,
Mike Silent Warrior

Last edited by sunbursthonor; 08-05-2005 at 12:18 AM..
Old 08-05-2005, 02:49 AM   #3
Biboon omaa

White Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond repute
White Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,966.54
Hi
Get yourself a copy of Northern Trad Dancer book. I can't remember the author's name.
OK Niji we are running a train with red over yellow at this powwow.
Old 08-06-2005, 02:40 AM   #4
Powwow King

redthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scale
Credits: 221.00
That would be Scott Evans.

"You need to find yourself a girl, mate... Or, perhaps the reason you practice three hours a day is that you already found one and are otherwise incapable of wooing said strumpet. You're not a eunuch, are you? [looks down]"
-Captain Jack Sparrow

Last edited by tigger; 08-26-2005 at 10:55 AM..
Old 08-06-2005, 03:43 PM   #5
Banned

quicksilverwade is just really nice
Osiyo kung pao! We don't need any fat taking wasicu pigskin boyscout dancers taking our ways of life.

Wado moo goo gai pan or was that your pu pu platter?
Old 08-06-2005, 03:49 PM   #6
:o)

CHRISTY H 77 is just really nice
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by redthunder
That would be Scott Evans.

hahaha good one almost spat my coffee all over the monitor

Last edited by tigger; 08-26-2005 at 10:58 AM..
Old 08-06-2005, 05:30 PM   #7
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

WocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
WocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,094.49
FYI, I would like to say something mean or insulting to you, but realize you guys are probably just kids. I will discourage you in trying to learn the ways of my people or other nations, it just isn't right. Think about it this way; I would not go around dressing like a white person, ok wrong example! OK, we native people had assimilation forced on us, we didn't get a choice in the matter. By your groups dressing up like injuns and such, it's like making fun of our people, and makes us look like less than we are in the eyes of many non-native people. It is fine by me that your groups want to learn the history and way of native people, but your crossing over the line when you participate in it!
Old 08-07-2005, 03:05 PM   #8
Powwow King

redthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scale
It's a very contraversial issue ive noticed. Just like multi-racial sundances. I was at one, my first one actually. I usually go to an all native one in pine ridege. It was runed by natives from rosebud but there was white people dancing. Later that day, an indian man got up on the mic and said this is the way they should be.

However i talked to people on their views. Some liked it, some hated it. The ones were for it really supported it. And said it's fine if they participate with natives running it. And not doing it on their own. Im really not to sure on what to think on this issue.

But i have to disagree with wocuswoman to some extent. I think if they dance because of their fiance or husband/wife and they have grown up with it, i think it will be okay. Why? Well, Powwows arent traditional what so ever. Sweat lodges, sundances etc etc are and should be screend. But powwows, i say they should be able to dance at intertribals. I mean what's it going to hurt. Besides humiliation cause they are dancing funny. Bwuahahahahaha!

"You need to find yourself a girl, mate... Or, perhaps the reason you practice three hours a day is that you already found one and are otherwise incapable of wooing said strumpet. You're not a eunuch, are you? [looks down]"
-Captain Jack Sparrow

Last edited by redthunder; 08-07-2005 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 08-07-2005, 03:11 PM   #9
Granny:)

Items ElephantPresentRainbow
*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute
*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute
Location: 20 mins into Canada from the Sumas WA Border. Im practically an American
Credits: 16,430.57
Thumbs up

...agrees with WW

*Kalilsha*

If the sun refused to shine, I would still be loving u
When mountains crumble to the sea, there will still be u an me..

Old 08-07-2005, 04:48 PM   #10
Bear-y overprotective

Dakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant futureDakota Wica'hpi Ina has a brilliant future
Dunno

My son's mixed and to look @ him you could not tell there was any blood quantum at all. He's 1/4 blood. Does that make it not right for him to dance and be raised in a traditional manner with ceremony and prayers? Should we exclude him because he has light skin/hair/eyes? I think I the teaching was done in a proper way then it should be allowed. You can't always judge a book by it's cover. When asked he will tell you who his family is an what rez they're from.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:03 PM   #11
Like my new toy?

Privateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 30.00
DevanB.
First off welcome. As you can see there are lots of different opinions about non-Natives dancing, and in a few areas even mix bloods dancing. My advice is take your time, save your money, and do it right the first time.

My tips for beginners:

1) GO TO POWWOWS! Watch the dancers and ask questions. Most dancers will love to tell you about their regalia. DO NOT TOUCH without permission first and DO NOT PHOTOGRAPH without permission. This is the best way to learn local powwow ettiquette and customs as areas differ. After going to a few powwows, you will begin to see familiar faces, start talking to these new friends about how to make regalia and tricks to make it.

2) TAKE YOUR TIME TO MAKE YOUR REGLAIA. Start saving your money becasue it will get expensive if you do it right, and you want it done right the first time. A roach will cost anywhere form $200-$400. Hand painted eagle feathers (trust me don't use the cheap dye jobs) will cost about $130-140 for a set of 30. Or you can spend tyour time and money to buy the book and supplies to make your own handpainted feathers. That cuts cost to about $40-60 caus you want extra feather to practice on. Beading your drops, kneebands, armbands, and cuff will also take time and money.

A lot of people get ticked off when they see non-Natives acting like fools by wearing warbonnets, Pocahontas outfits, etc and doing stupid things. WATCH AND LEARN BEFORE DANCING.
I hope this helps and good luck.
GJJUdd
Old 08-07-2005, 11:03 PM   #12

Location: Probably somewhere in the www.powwows.com game room *LOL* no seriously, in GA
Dont Even Laugh About That!!!! 4 People Died From That Instance. One Is Still In Critical Condition... I Dont Know How The H... You Get Off With Laughing At That. Yet, You Try To Teach Good Morals And Stuff. And As Far As Taking Our Tradition And "misuse". I Tell You What, I Am Accepted At Many Powwows. Even Here On This Site. I Am 1/16 Blood Cherokee. Family Line From The Long Hair Clan. I Dance. I Respest Our Culture. You Cant Tell I Got A Lick Of Native In Me!!! So, Why Don't You Treat Him The Same? Please, Please, Dont Shut Him Out.

Last edited by tigger; 08-26-2005 at 11:01 AM..
Old 08-08-2005, 05:20 AM   #13
Powwow King

First, It's nice to see you again sunburst.
Second, Why are you using CAPITALS for almost every word?
Third, The insident was extreamly funny. Men in their 30's electricuting themselves while trying to put up a tent. I thought they wre scout masters or whatever you call them. Im 16 and im not even that dumb. Guess it just runs in their genes. One bad decision after the other. The first was landing in "america".
Fourth, No one said anything about you or anyone not being able to dance because of your appearence. Calm down.
Fifth, Secci.com is not a tribal affiliation.

-Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 08-08-2005, 05:29 AM   #14
Powwow King

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.secci.com
nor do we claim affiliation with either the Eastern or Western bands of Cherokee.
It's a council.

-Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 08-08-2005, 01:10 PM   #15
Banned

All I can say is that the wasicu forefathers stole the fat and now their boyscout children are doing the same!
Old 08-08-2005, 04:11 PM   #16
Powwow King

Lmao!

-Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 08-08-2005, 04:26 PM   #17
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanB
the other night my scoutmaster made me dance at a pow wow......
Made you dance like a greasy injun is what you wanted to say, right?
Old 08-08-2005, 05:27 PM   #18
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

WocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
WocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,094.49
OK, have to comment; that's friggin' funny! Anyhow, my opinion has nothing to do with people who are a little native, or people who have been raised up around powwow or around a rez. My problem is with the scouts of America as a general principal. Sure, why not teach the history of our people to their boys; but please do not go around mocking us(dressing up) like we don't exist now, and stop treating our traditions as entertainment for the masses. On top of this I look down on any group that is founded on the principals of christianity, and then has the gonads to exclude certain people for the way god made them. Just another fine example of hypocrisy.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:17 PM   #19
Powwow King

Yes! I totally agree with you WW.

-Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 08-08-2005, 07:49 PM   #20

explain yourself better WW... How do we "exclude" people because of the way God made them?
Closed Thread