Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Northern Traditional Dancing New to dancing New to dancing

Closed Thread LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-21-2005, 10:25 PM   #61
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
WocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
WocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,094.49
Savings: 1.00
Well that's sad; and I know what your talking about. People don't like to confront other people about things like this. If the law has not caught up with a person like this; then I usually just figure the creator will eventially catch up with the person. What goes around, comes around.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:15 AM   #62
Love those Indian Boys!

Solaris has a reputation beyond reputeSolaris has a reputation beyond reputeSolaris has a reputation beyond reputeSolaris has a reputation beyond reputeSolaris has a reputation beyond reputeSolaris has a reputation beyond reputeSolaris has a reputation beyond reputeSolaris has a reputation beyond reputeSolaris has a reputation beyond reputeSolaris has a reputation beyond reputeSolaris has a reputation beyond reputeSolaris has a reputation beyond reputeSolaris has a reputation beyond reputeSolaris has a reputation beyond reputeSolaris has a reputation beyond reputeSolaris has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Wow, this topic turned serious huh? Well, being white and being relatively new to powwows, I wouldn't dream of dancing in one...I didn't even dance in a special that the family requested all visitors and spectators to dance, I didn't feel it was my place. But anyway, I hope that white people merely attending powwows isn't an intrusion- the one I went to this past weekend in Manitoba, Canada, I felt a tad excluded. The danacing was amazing, but when I'd ask quesitons, I sort of got a vibe that I shouldn't have asked- like the people I asked were hesitant to reply. I'd asked about what the head pieces are made of (porcupine fur), what were pushups (verses I was told) and why people were putting money on the ground for a dancer during tie-breakers (just for donations and support). I was filled with more questions, but didn't ask because of how I felt.

However, when I went to one in South Dakota, everyone was much more friendly and never hesitated answering questions. So I guess it varies by how good Native/White relations are in different areas maybe?
Old 08-25-2005, 12:16 AM   #63
Love those Indian Boys!

Solaris has a reputation beyond reputeSolaris has a reputation beyond reputeSolaris has a reputation beyond reputeSolaris has a reputation beyond reputeSolaris has a reputation beyond reputeSolaris has a reputation beyond reputeSolaris has a reputation beyond reputeSolaris has a reputation beyond reputeSolaris has a reputation beyond reputeSolaris has a reputation beyond reputeSolaris has a reputation beyond reputeSolaris has a reputation beyond reputeSolaris has a reputation beyond reputeSolaris has a reputation beyond reputeSolaris has a reputation beyond reputeSolaris has a reputation beyond repute
Oh yeah! One question- what does "hoka" mean? The MC at the powwow said that word A LOT...lol!
Old 08-25-2005, 01:47 PM   #64
Banned

quicksilverwade is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaris
Wow, this topic turned serious huh? Well, being white and being relatively new to powwows, I wouldn't dream of dancing in one...I didn't even dance in a special that the family requested all visitors and spectators to dance, I didn't feel it was my place. But anyway, I hope that white people merely attending powwows isn't an intrusion- the one I went to this past weekend in Manitoba, Canada, I felt a tad excluded. The danacing was amazing, but when I'd ask quesitons, I sort of got a vibe that I shouldn't have asked- like the people I asked were hesitant to reply. I'd asked about what the head pieces are made of (porcupine fur), what were pushups (verses I was told) and why people were putting money on the ground for a dancer during tie-breakers (just for donations and support). I was filled with more questions, but didn't ask because of how I felt.

However, when I went to one in South Dakota, everyone was much more friendly and never hesitated answering questions. So I guess it varies by how good Native/White relations are in different areas maybe?
Your questions were not instrusive and didn't relate to anything sacred so you're okay for the moment. As for an honor song, feel free to go up and dance with the honored guest. Don't forget to put a couple of dollars in the hat which tradition says goes to the drum singing the honor song.
Sponsored Links
Closed Thread