Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Northern Traditional Dancing Putting together son's outfit...HELP! Putting together son's outfit...HELP!

Closed Thread LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-15-2004, 11:27 AM   #81
Junior Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
crazydazy has a spectacular aura about
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Re: Adoption, the south, et al

Quote:
Originally posted by GJJudd
Crazydazy,
Yeah I know about the adoption thread. reading it myself. The people I know have made real contributions i.e doing reasearch on history and crafts for a non-federally recognized nation, another does tremendous work on crafts and preservation of traditions, a third is a noted writer and dancer.

I personally believe that if you really do alot of work for a nation to help them out and they decide to adopt you, that's great. If you need to pay money, or some other kind if BS like that, then hell no "adoption" aint right. THESE ARE MY OPINIONS 'CAUSE IAM NO EXPERT! Let those who have grown up in the culture talk more about it.

Like I said, in the south alot of racism took place. The Houma for example were denied an education for the longest time and are now fighting for their recognition status. Their numbers are increasing, not because alot of wannabees are coming otu the woodwork, but becasue alot of families that could pass for white did so to survive. I am a good example. Somewhere down the road I have some native blood. but because of the bigotry, even in my own family, that aspect of my heritage was discouraged.

Now why am I saying all this? At least in my former neck of hte woods, there is alot more tolerance, in my experience, of non natives dancing and joining societies. It's very possible that the Tiah Piah ( sorry if I am misspelling) would have inducted a few non natives.

Now I have a few questions for you Crazydazy and no disrespect is intened.
Also anyone else can feel fre to answer.

1. Hold old was your son when he started dancing? The reason I ask is that I have a 5 month old and I want him to know his full heritage and join the circle.

2. How did he come out? I ask becasue I don't think I came out the proper way and again I want to do things right for my son ( or at least get an Idea of what to expect, I know every area is different). The way I came out was I was volunteering at a powwow and made a comment about dancing. A Houma elder invited me in and taught me for a little while before I moved with a job.

Anyway I type to much. I thank everyone in advance for hte answers to my questions.
Jerry
Jerry
To begin, I think what you and are talking about with repect to adoption verys greatly from what occurs when boyscouts are adopted by tribes. Again like I said this is something that may be common down south but up here I think that adoption is not taken that lightly.
As for my son he is a teen who has just started dancing in the last 6 months. I will not say how he received the "calling to dance" because like I said that is private to him. He belongs to an aboriginal youth group and has had the oppurtunity to learn a lot about his culture through teachings and ceremonies. I know he was taught that you don't dance because you want to you dance because you feel you have to. He dances for those in his community for the dieing and the sick. He dances to bring joy to others and to pay respect to those who came before him and those still yet to come. And even though he hasn't nailed down all the rythm and all the steps he still dances in the circle with out shame of being less then perfect. Up here it is not considered disrespectful to dance without completed regalia or unpolished steps. furthermore his desire to dance came after a long contiplation it wasn't something he decided to do overnight. As for his regalia, none of it beaded and none of it will likely ever be beaded. This isn't out of a lack of pride or commitment but rather out of a sense of history because the advent of beads is a coloniel thing. This too is his choice.
He has yet to come out and will do so in a few weeks. To ask me how it should be done would be a poor thing to do because as a white woman I am not an expert, I will leave that up to those with the right (the blood in their veins) to give that advice. When my son comes out there will be a cerimony and a feast where my son will give away gifts to the Elders, Drummers, Community and to those who have helped him in ANY way with his regalia. Even if you make the regalia urself you will find that there are a lot of people who helped along the way. For my son it was a true community experiance with many people donating time and materials. In my OPINION this is the it should be because his ragalia tells a story about him his community, and the people who he cares for and who care for him. There is not one peice of his ragalia that doesn't have some type of story to it and as he grows as a dancer that story will grow. I have actually heard stories around here where elders have been known to ask dancers to tell the story of their regalia and apparently you are expected to tell that story. now isn't it a much nicer story to say that so and so helped me with this and so and so gave me this.....rather then to say that I bought it off of ebay or .........
Godd luck with your son and his future dancing and remember mine is only one persons story. Go to you community and you will find all the answers you need and as for the way you came out... If the elder thought that it was the appropriate way for you to do so then who is anyone to question it.
Old 02-15-2004, 03:41 PM   #82
Like my new toy?

Privateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 30.00
Savings: 1.00
Thanks for the reply! And you are right, adoption is a very serious matter that doesn't happen often.

As for your son, hope you post some pics when he comes out and hope everyone has a good time.
Jerry
Old 02-17-2004, 01:14 PM   #83
Tiny Tot Dancer

post182eastern-trad is an unknown quantity at this point
wow

wowowowow

may i just say from a 15 year olds point of view... you all are sad...sad sad ppl.. im white .. and i powwow... got a problem.. woohoo..

also.. "ndn's" are experts... ? why.. because u said so..? hell im not sayin that u are or arent i mean there might be sum 1 who does kno it all... and more power to you..

but why must this fight keep goin on between white and native..? does it get any one any where...
personaly i think that u all (that responed in this post and ones that have bashed on me also) are a bunch of head strong @$$ holes...
i mean highland dances.. i have seen other scottish people doing it.. such as africans americans.. french lots of people i have seen doin it.. and teaching it also...

you all say that white people shouldnt powwow or try to learn about it.. but if i were u id take it as a compliment...

i kno why u hate us.. because of all that crap way back when in the 1700's and how we colinized here but come on.. is it happening now.. no.. i never have seen such a collection of people that hate another race.. and it doesnt help but im sorry for what my people did to ur people.. but i cant change that..

i love to dance.. and i dance from the heart... but i find it out of control how white and boy scouts and any non natives get persicuted for tryin to learn and help...

damn look at how ur affecting the youth of america....?
i got to skool with natives that dont powwow.. but when i bring them to a powwow they wanna start.. and i dont catch any hell from them there parents or there grand parents.. infact they love me for teaching there kids how to enjoy there culture

ugh i need to go play drums now u got me all worked up

-mike

ps... ill check this post in about 1 2 days for any more bash's or hate post towards me..
and thank you for ur time reading this..
Old 02-17-2004, 03:51 PM   #84
Tiny Tot Dancer

boman19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 230.00
Well Mike I think you said it all. If you want to read more go to pow wow talk then click on white people dance and read that.
Old 03-03-2004, 02:25 AM   #85
Biboon omaa

White Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond repute
White Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,966.54
Hi wolfdream
Did you get your son outfit aready to go to a powwow?
Chi Migwetch, WPD
OK Niji we are running a train with red over yellow at this powwow.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:49 AM   #86
Oldfart

Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Re: wow

Quote:
Originally posted by post182eastern-trad
i kno why u hate us.. because of all that crap way back when in the 1700's and how we colinized here but come on.. is it happening now.. no

-mike

:rofl2: That's funny

:secrets: It's still happening
Old 03-03-2004, 02:16 PM   #87
Dineth Hearth Throth

BurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond repute
BurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 22.00
Re: Re: wow

Quote:
Originally posted by Kiwehnzii
:rofl2: That's funny

:secrets: It's still happening

LMAO exactly what i was thinking too Kiwehnzii...

heeyy wonder if the mods will change the title of this thread to "Fighting Whities" thread *LMAO* :lol2::rofl2:

:D
Old 03-03-2004, 08:23 PM   #88
Junior Dancer

crazydazy has a spectacular aura about
Re: Re: Re: wow

Quote:
Originally posted by Burberrilish

heeyy wonder if the mods will change the title of this thread to "Fighting Whities" thread *LMAO* :lol2::rofl2:

Please don't include me as one of the fighting whites.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:29 PM   #89
Junior Dancer

dmoccasin is a jewel in the rough
Savings: 432.95
Helping put son's outfit

Let me get this straight. The original intent of this post was to provide advise to someone who needs help. And now I feel that somewhere the original intent went awry. It reminds me of when applied to get a job for the federal government and all the red and white tape it took to find employment. My 2 cents

c
Old 03-03-2004, 10:42 PM   #90
Tiny Tot Dancer

C_Rock77 can only hope to improve
Re: Helping put son's outfit

Quote:
Originally posted by dmoccasin
Let me get this straight. The original intent of this post was to provide advise to someone who needs help. And now I feel that somewhere the original intent went awry. It reminds me of when applied to get a job for the federal government and all the red and white tape it took to find employment. My 2 cents

c
Why is it a couple people in particular always have to start trouble?
Old 03-04-2004, 10:07 AM   #91
Oldfart

Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
This thread has served it's purpose. The thread starter has and will further recieve the help she needs from her own people and that is good.

I'll post again if I see more stupidness and ignorant remarks like
" is it happening now....no".

Other than that, I'm glad for the "son" who needed the start.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:50 AM   #92
PowWows.com Addicts

ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Re: Re: wow

Quote:
Originally posted by Burberrilish

:Chatter :Chatter :Chatter

Old 03-04-2004, 03:30 PM   #93
Tiny Tot Dancer

So, what? Do you just go trolling to see what kind of trouble and dissent you can stir up? Got nothing better to do other than sit on the computer and find what kind of trouble you can start (or re-hash)?

This stuff is getting really old.
Old 03-05-2004, 12:12 AM   #94
Oldfart

Quote:
Originally posted by C_Rock77
So, what? Do you just go trolling to see what kind of trouble and dissent you can stir up? Got nothing better to do other than sit on the computer and find what kind of trouble you can start (or re-hash)?

This stuff is getting really old.
Then, why are you still trying to keep this thread up? Give it up man.:lol2:
Old 03-05-2004, 12:58 AM   #95
Biboon omaa

White Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond repute
White Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,966.54
Hi
Kiwehnzii likes to shovel coal for trouble on the board too.
Chi Migwetch, WPD
OK Niji we are running a train with red over yellow at this powwow.
Old 03-05-2004, 02:08 AM   #96
Tiny Tot Dancer

Quote:
Originally posted by Kiwehnzii
Then, why are you still trying to keep this thread up? Give it up man.:lol2:
You and your girls are the ones re-hashing this whole crock of BS....
why do YOU find it necessary to stir it all up, again? Nothing better to do?

Arguments coming from you........
I just consider the SOURCE.
Old 03-05-2004, 10:10 AM   #97
Oldfart

Quote:
Originally posted by C_Rock77
You and your girls are the ones re-hashing this whole crock of BS....
why do YOU find it necessary to stir it all up, again? Nothing better to do?

Arguments coming from you........
I just consider the SOURCE.
I have considered the SOURCE. And.......... it is a Crock of BS, innit?

My girls? Strong Indian Women. Just a few kids covering a Grampa's back.

I see you have an ally in White Powwow Dancer, Boman, eastern82 (or something like that). Stickin' together is good. Keep up the good work.
Old 03-05-2004, 01:45 PM   #98
PowWows.com Addicts

Items Panda
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,339.79
Quote:
Originally posted by northerntradish16
C rock 77-

Man you gotta lay off attacking the real indians. Yeah, you MIGHT be a good dancer, but you gotta remember that THEY ARE NATIVE and THESE ARE THEIR WAYS that YOU ARE BORROWING, if you can even call it that. Just your behavior and your rudeness shows everyone that even if you dance, you certainly aren't following the Indian way. You should wisen up and be more respectful to the real Native and to you elders.
I like this post! It comes from a non native person too but at least they are respectful, not arrogant and full of themselves like Crock and the others.
Don't worry Ki- we DO have your back! Sounds like Crock has a grudge cuz he'll never be a Native, he can only go so far and he has to stop because the real Natives object and THAT's what he doesn't like.
Old 03-05-2004, 02:36 PM   #99
NDNBUNZ

Jibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond repute
Jibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond repute
OH NO NO NO NO NO!!

I am glad I wandered in here...

First of all, WHITE dancer and whoever else seems to think that Kiwehnzii is tyring to rehash issues, you better think again! Kiwehnzii is a prime example of what a traditional dancer is. When he is out there, you KNOW that he belongs there. Please don't ever try to spout your ignorance to a true flesh n blood Indian.

Your posts mean nothing compared to his words of wisdom. He is never rude or ignorant and he can back up everything he is saying.

So long as you come hear acting a fool trying to tell us who we are then expect to be put in your spot. Please don't make me mad. Powwows.com hasn't encountered my fury since back in '03 with Tibiki Kinew.
Old 03-05-2004, 02:51 PM   #100
An URBAN NDN

Singing Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond repute
Singing Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 209.08
Quote:
Originally posted by Kakeeya
I like this post! It comes from a non native person too but at least they are respectful, not arrogant and full of themselves like Crock and the others.
Don't worry Ki- we DO have your back! Sounds like Crock has a grudge cuz he'll never be a Native, he can only go so far and he has to stop because the real Natives object and THAT's what he doesn't like.
Yeah I like that post and this one too - and you bet I'm there to guard Ki's back - he's kind and too honorable to kick your asses the way they need to be kicked - but hey that's what Jibs and I do best!
Sponsored Links
Closed Thread