Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Northern Traditional Dancing Putting together son's outfit...HELP! Putting together son's outfit...HELP!

Closed Thread LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-19-2004, 01:08 PM   #141
PowWows.com Addicts

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
[QUOTE]Originally posted by CactusButt
[B]Oops for you! Once again, Who's the one 'playing' here?

White people need to stop going to Powwow's acting as if they are the experts on things and then go on Powwow's.com and act as if they are the experts on things. And then start crying around because people get mad at them. If you do something stupid, folks are gonna' get mad at ya'.

I'd say! But obviously, even our frustration and anger don't fizz on them. That'd be a cold day in hell when I take it totally upon myself to take on another race's ways, customs and spirituality. I was taught to respect other people's ways and beliefs....I just wish to gawd they'd do the same for me.

Old 03-19-2004, 01:10 PM   #142
Teen Dancer

CactusButt is a name known to all
See WPD, that is not respectful of her. A more appropriate response would be, "wow, Ojibwaysweetie, I am so sorry it offends you when I use your language. Please forgive me, and I will try not to use it again here. I admire your language and find it fascinating and if you wouldn't mind I'd really like to use it, but if it does offend you that much, then for the sake of peace on the board I won't use it."

How hard is that?

And yes, I know you can say whatever you want to say, but why would you want to offend someone whose culture you say you respect and admire?
Old 03-19-2004, 01:12 PM   #143
PowWows.com Addicts

ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by White Powwow Dancer
Whatever!!

Don't be saying your little sarcastic "whatever" to me. You atta be ashamed of yourself and your disrespectfulness on here to my people.

Old 03-19-2004, 03:28 PM   #144
Biboon omaa

White Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond repute
White Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,966.54
CactusButt
Did you know respect is on a two way street?
Chi Migwetch, WPD
OK Niji we are running a train with red over yellow at this powwow.
Old 03-19-2004, 04:35 PM   #145
PowWows.com Addicts

Smeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond repute
Smeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,042.85
Wow, You know what bothers me most about this thread?

Is how people are acting like they are 8 years old. PLEASE act like the adults you are! And I mean this to the "white" people on here.

I don't see how WPD has the right to say "Quit the trash talking" and using the smilies to make like they are sticking their tongue out. Jibby expressed her opinion about you and how you are on here........, maybe she did trash talk you..but you know she used words and not childish means. You start to reply by saying "Whatever :Mad :tongue11: to you too!!" Are you in elementary school? The only way you replied to her post is by using smilies to get your point across then have the gall to tell her and Blackfoot Honey to "Quit the trash talking" You know what..you did it right back....so if they have to quit, well then you have to quit too.

You know I'm sick of seeing wannabe white people who have NO RIGHT!, dancing at pow-wows in a circle that is a social circle but is also a sacred circle. I'm sick of seeing them wearing our feathers. You know, maybe being Nish doesn't mean we are "experts" but it sure as hell doesn't make you right to be telling others what to do.

I think the overall advice Wolfdream was looking for was what someone said..(I don't remember who, sorry).....now this is paraphrasing, "You should ask your people in your area what is needed to be done and how to go about making an outfit for your son's arrival into the dance circle" You shouldn't be telling her to read some book to get ideas..the best ideas you get are from family and other people who are Nish and know the ways.

Wolfdream..I feel I should have to apologize for the way this thread went from a question to attacking.

Also WPD......We as NDN people have a right to ask you to stop using our language. That is a sacred thing to us and it really is disrespectful that a white dude is speaking our language, when my mother and her family were beaten when they spoke our language..by the same people who are just like you!

Just my 20cents.... :devil
Old 03-19-2004, 05:23 PM   #146
PowWows.com Addicts

Quote:
CactusButt
Did you know respect is on a two way street?
Chi Migwetch, WPD

You atta take Cactus' advice, white boy because you and others like you are the epitome of DISrespect.

Old 03-19-2004, 05:39 PM   #147
PowWows.com Addicts

Items Panda
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,339.79
Quote:
Originally posted by ojibwaysweetie
You atta take Cactus' advice, white boy because you and others like you are the epitome of DISrespect.
Ojibway Sweetie, Nothing anyone can say is going to get thru to WPD's head, mind and heart. He is lacking in maturity and brains. We need to pray for people like him to truly have that respect and leave our ways alone. I feel bad for the Anishinaabe that he is imitating your language and being so childish about it.
Old 03-19-2004, 05:42 PM   #148
Teen Dancer

CactusButt is a name known to all
you know, Smesh has a good point. I said on a diff. thread that my mo.in.law wouldn't teach me stuff until she knew she could trust me because it was sacred, and language was one of those things, amongst others. Everything is sacred, and precious in certain tribes.

See, WPD, European languages are not sacred. Native languages are not the only sacred languages. People from India, and Africa have certain languages they consider sacred, and certain things that they only whisper amongst themselves because they know that words hold power. When you live in a Western world this is hard to understand and when you grow up with a Western, I can do whatever I want, have whatever I want, be whatever I want society, it is very hard to let go of that mentality. Some things you cannot say, cannot do and cannot have, and this is right it is good. Please respect that which is sacred ok.? Please. Even if you only do it on this forum.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:50 PM   #149
Junior Dancer

crazydazy has a spectacular aura about
My very first post on this board was in response to this htread and that was way back when it was a simple question about putting together regalia. I also know that I may have been somewhat of an instigator when it comes to what this thread has turned into. I read this thread because someone I was as the original poster was oputting together my sons regalia. I identified myself as being white which I am. I also identified that I am a mother of a native child and that was why I was making regalia. In doing so I think that I may have commented on the boyscout phenomenon. From that spawned a very heated but I think relevant converstation about who should and should not dance etc. the relevance is lost however in that the people who needed to learn from the dialogue have not. Instead they continue to preach about their ill conceived perception that they are some who entitled to take part in something that is not their own. They do not participate with respect because if they did they would know how to keep their mouths shut when required and they would know the importance of dance and language. They would understand that what they do by dancing and speaking a language that is not theirs serves to trivialize the importance of these things. its like having a flawless diamond. If everyone has one then it losses its value. What I mean by this is that let teh beauty and spirit that is conveyed through the traditions of dance be maintained in a way that is befitting its intention. Let young people and old have one moment of peace in a world that more often then not is doing its best to hold them down. Let them celebrate the unconditional love and support of the creator without interferance or trivialization. That is the least that can be done after all that has been lost. Dance and language are tools of empowerment for some and for many that is all they have left of a world that once was. Ithe fact taht some people people want to appropriate this is pathetic but what is even more disturbing is that they think that they have a right to have it.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:54 PM   #150
Breath Inspector

eagleclan22 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by ojibwaysweetie
Don't be saying your little sarcastic "whatever" to me. You atta be ashamed of yourself and your disrespectfulness on here to my people.
I tried to post something about that earlier too but my damn puter made me log in like 15 times n I quit trying to instead... lol.

It just sounds so HOKEY when WPD uses whatever lil phrases he knows in Oji for his posts.. It kinda makes me crazy. and I cant belive the sarcasim and disrespect that he uses towards the real owners of the language.

http://pages.ivillage.com/sagkeengpowwow2003/

Some guys are good with their drum sticks.... and some just arent...:karate:
Old 03-20-2004, 12:27 AM   #151

Quote:
~>[email protected]~HoNeY <~
Are you a Wannabe Blackfoot ndn? :tongue11:
Chi Migwetch, WPD
fugg u wpd ur a wannabe using someone elses language and thas the only word u know dont b tellin me im a wannabe blackfoot chit i am blackfoot i aint no wannabe what chu talkin about wannabe to the lookz of it ur da only wannabe!!!! u wannabe indian dont mezz with me u peice of
wannabe indian trash

Old 03-20-2004, 01:20 AM   #152
Biboon omaa

White Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond repute
White Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond repute
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ojibwaysweetie
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by CactusButt
Oops for you! Once again, Who's the one 'playing' here?

White people need to stop going to Powwow's acting as if they are the experts on things and then go on Powwow's.com and act as if they are the experts on things. And then start crying around because people get mad at them. If you do something stupid, folks are gonna' get mad at ya'.

I'd say! But obviously, even our frustration and anger don't fizz on them. That'd be a cold day in hell when I take it totally upon myself to take on another race's ways, customs and spirituality. I was taught to respect other people's ways and beliefs....I just wish to gawd they'd do the same for me.
Ya Right
Old 03-20-2004, 02:08 AM   #153
Biboon omaa

Hi
Mods would you please lock this thread I don't like the racism going on this thread and I don't like white people getting reamed for their color of their skin.
Thank you, WPD
Old 03-20-2004, 03:11 AM   #154
Breath Inspector

Its not about racism, its about how you and other white dancers act as if you are authority. You know this has been happening since contact, and for once (ok maybe more then once) the NDN people are saying something about it to your face.

Racist? Ok maybe yes possibly... but if you really understood NDN people then you would realize the frustration that we have towards white people. Take the heat... if you dont want to hear it anymore, then quit visiting these threads that are hurting your feelings simple as that. Let NDNs be NDNs, dont get your shorts in a bunch.

Old 03-20-2004, 03:13 AM   #155
Breath Inspector

Quote:
Hi
Mods would you please lock this thread I don't like the racism going on this thread and I don't like white people getting reamed for their color of their skin.
Thank you, WPD
I guess your really starting to see how it feels to be an NDN, ;) :Chatter

Not just on the weekend now eh? lol, oh wait it is technically the weekend now

Old 03-20-2004, 03:20 AM   #156
Biboon omaa

Eagleclan22
I had a friend that taught me the Ojibwe Language here. thats why I used it.
Old 03-20-2004, 12:00 PM   #157
Junior Dancer

crazydazy has a spectacular aura about
WPD, if you are worried about racism here it is from a white person -SHUT UP ALREADY. you are embarrassing yourself and those of us white people who know our place in all of this. Don't you realize that you are confussing rights with privilege. Speaking ojibwe and dancing is not your right it is a proviledge that you obviously have not yet earned. Tell does the person who tought you the language and how to dance know that you come on hear and shout off your mouth?: If so they may have too much respect to say something but they are likly ashamed and maybe even a little regretful. I find it amazing that you are offended so easily afterall if you are honest about your heritage when you go places to dance you must get a lot of flack. You may have a small circle of people that support your dancing but they laughter and the wispers that you hear from the others is directed at you because you are a joke. The same goes for this board - it may not be a traditional space the the same requirement of respect is in place.
As I have said before in the above post it is pathetic that some white people won't stop until they have appropriated every last bit of what belongs to the orginal people of the land that we as white people squat on.
Old 03-21-2004, 02:04 AM   #158
Biboon omaa

Blah Blah here
Old 03-21-2004, 02:56 AM   #159

blah blah here wtf is that all about and u want natives to like u oh my gosh i so pity u right now

Old 03-21-2004, 04:28 PM   #160
Lovin' life,

Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 260.00
Savings: 1.00
Ok... Can't hold it in any longer. I have sat back and watched this go on and on. Some people have had some very good things to say and they are being ignored just because it is the "other side" that is saying em. Well get a clue people .. truth is truth... it can come from those that are outside our culture and not be a "racist" remark.

Truth is ...why would a person insist on doing something when others have asked that it not be done? Let's look at the language thing... why would a person continue to use another language after being asked not to because the person felt they were being disrespectful. Does that person think others can't understand English??? Well they can. If not.. they will ask someone to translate. K? ;) Which to stray a little.. always amazes me when a white person prays in Lakota because that is the "sacred language" do they not think the creator can understand their own words? Don't limit the creator people! He can understand all languages! Now was that a racisit remark.. no.. it was the race of the person I'm talking about. (and fyi.. the person thought they were saying Mother Earth in Lakota.. and actually was saying Mother Dirt!! :rofl2: )

Next, if you truly read the posts again and even in other forums people have stated time and time and time again... it is not about people of other cultures attending inter-tribal powwows but how one carries themself while doing so. Now did you just really read that????? YOU CAN GO... JUST BE RESPECTFUL... DON'T ACT LIKE AN AUTHORITY... BE HUMBLE... YOU ARE THERE TO LEARN AND SHARE.. NOT TO TEACH!!

Same goes for the board here.. you really don't have to try to answer every post or question.... sure.. we want to be helpful. No one is faulting that. Just don't be so eager sometimes. Hell, there have been posts I've made over the years I should have waited before answering..... but by damn I learned from some of the answers I received. Because I chose to. It was my choice. We all have that choice. You have that choice. And if you choose to think I am talking to this person.. that person .... or talking off the wall ... it's your choice. Just like it is my choice when a person makes a post that I feel is over the line.. to delete or edit. K?
Closed Thread