Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Northern Traditional Dancing Small Tribe needs in the middle of nowhere needs info Small Tribe needs in the middle of nowhere needs info

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2006, 12:56 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
napschotswarrior is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Small Tribe in the middle of nowhere needs info

Sanosti all .

I was wondering if anyone could help me out I from a tiny rather isolated tribe in southwest washington state. for the past 2 years i have been helping my cuz organize our powwow and i am aslo our tribes' culture guy i guess u could call it ( teach crafts songs language ect.) anyway our powwow is very small last year we had like 6 dancers that were invited from other tribes. So myself and few friends are actively trying to get our youth and buddies to start danciing the problem is we know nothing about powwow style dancing we dance in our tribes style wich is usually during a story or along those lines. We do know that we like the look of northern traditional and few want to grass and fancy dance.I also have some girls that want to dance fancy shawl . So if anyone has any good info on steps, style, taboos, ect please let me know. Our biggest question though is our colors we use red and black on almost everything (button blankets beedwork carvings ect) is there any problem with having our red and black style in powwow regalia?

Mosse Mosse
(thank you)
From the great northwest
p.s. sorry this thread is so long

Last edited by napschotswarrior; 02-02-2006 at 01:04 PM..
napschotswarrior is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2006, 05:57 AM   #2
www.wakalapi.com

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Wakalapi has a reputation beyond repute
Wakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 336.00
Savings: 0.00
Are you @ Shoalwater Bay? If so the challenge last year was (for the second year in a row) the NW Indian AA Convention Powwow was hosted by the Quilleyute's up at LaPush AND there was a big annual contest powwow up @ Nespelem. This year, the AA Convention Powwow is moving to ... uh, I think Muckleshoot or Lummi? I'll hafta find out.

Send me your info in a PM ... I know a really good powwow-going elder at Oakville and I believe she'll be glad to help you out ... Elaine McCloud (Chehalis).

It also helps to post your powwow at least 1-2 months in advance both here (click on Calendar, above) and on PowwowTime.com (whose calendars actually get printed and passed out at powwows in Washington and northern Oregon).

OH and as far as the red and black thing, there is northern traditional dancer Robert Washington Jr. (Lummi) who proudly wears a very tastefully done "Plains" style powwow outfit bearing his Coastal colors (red and black) and emblems. I'll see if I can run into him in the next couple weeks and get you in touch with him, too.

Last edited by Wakalapi; 02-09-2006 at 06:01 AM..
Wakalapi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links