Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Northern Traditional Dancing Tradional Tattoo? Tradional Tattoo?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2008, 09:50 PM   #41
PROUD DANCER

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
ProudNightWolf is infamous around these partsProudNightWolf is infamous around these parts
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
But the tattoo had to be around BEFORE the movie in order for the MOVIE to use or have the idea about.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:59 PM   #42
Beadworker

sokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,106.54
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudNightWolf View Post
But the tattoo had to be around BEFORE the movie in order for the MOVIE to use or have the idea about.
not at all...those tats could have easily been taken from something else and adapted to tats...the designs arent really much more than geometric shapes...i think youre trying to find meaning in soemthing that may not have any...

TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)
sokoki_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2008, 10:05 PM   #43
PROUD DANCER

ProudNightWolf is infamous around these partsProudNightWolf is infamous around these parts
Also Tom Netz has them on his arms and he had told me part of what they ment but then I got interputed before I could write it all down and member it so I know he had his before the movie. So IDK this is all very confusing now lol
Old 07-09-2008, 10:08 PM   #44
Beadworker

sokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Also Tom Netz has them on his arms and he had told me part of what they ment but then I got interputed before I could write it all down and member it so I know he had his before the movie. So IDK this is all very confusing now lol
um if you do a search on here,theres a bunch about tom netz,so i wouldnt really consider that a reliable source....

TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)
Old 07-10-2008, 01:48 AM   #45
PowWows.com Addicts

Items Present
FluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond repute
FluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond repute
Location: somewhere between chicago and DC, what day is it again?
Credits: 11,819.18
Savings: 1.00
i dont know tom netz personally and im not too sure id admit it if i did.but its looking more and more like 'monkey see, monkey do' with you and the tattoo thing. i'll assume you dont have any elder types to talk to or you wouldnt be on here asking about the ink so i'll just tell you this little story......

a guy my sister used to pal around with got drunk one night and got a tattoo on his shoulder of a set of chinese letters that supposedly meant 'no fear'. someone else told him the letters didnt translate that way and he got the bright idea of going to a chinese resteraunt in chicago to get someone to tell him what the letters were. no dice.
turns out they were'nt chinese, but japanese. so he went to a japanese place. the guy at the japanese place wasnt quite sure what the letters were but gave a loose translation of what they meant. one character had something to do with a stake or a pole banners are hung from and the other had to do with smoking or a person who smokes. the point is this; he didnt know what he was doing either and wound up with something on his shoulder that he hadnt planned for.
now, in your case,you seem to be looking for an open invite to get what ever tat you want for no other reason than you want it. mental note; tattoos dont wash off. once youve got that puppy on there its there for good. i dont know youre herritage, but unless youre of that culture that has the tats you seem to admire so much, id leave it alone.

The older I get the less of a deterrent life without parole gets
FluteMaker is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-13-2008, 03:35 PM   #46
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 143,225.72
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluteMaker View Post
i dont know tom netz personally and im not too sure id admit it if i did.but its looking more and more like 'monkey see, monkey do' with you and the tattoo thing. i'll assume you dont have any elder types to talk to or you wouldnt be on here asking about the ink so i'll just tell you this little story......

a guy my sister used to pal around with got drunk one night and got a tattoo on his shoulder of a set of chinese letters that supposedly meant 'no fear'. someone else told him the letters didnt translate that way and he got the bright idea of going to a chinese resteraunt in chicago to get someone to tell him what the letters were. no dice.
turns out they were'nt chinese, but japanese. so he went to a japanese place. the guy at the japanese place wasnt quite sure what the letters were but gave a loose translation of what they meant. one character had something to do with a stake or a pole banners are hung from and the other had to do with smoking or a person who smokes. the point is this; he didnt know what he was doing either and wound up with something on his shoulder that he hadnt planned for.
now, in your case,you seem to be looking for an open invite to get what ever tat you want for no other reason than you want it. mental note; tattoos dont wash off. once youve got that puppy on there its there for good. i dont know youre herritage, but unless youre of that culture that has the tats you seem to admire so much, id leave it alone.
Loosely translated...sounds like this guy got a tattoo that says he's a ...

Pole Smoker!!!

Well, that's my interpretation.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-13-2008, 06:05 PM   #47
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 38,634.63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Dad View Post
Loosely translated...sounds like this guy got a tattoo that says he's a ...

Pole Smoker!!!

Well, that's my interpretation.
Man that is burnt up
But hey
I have a feeling thats what they did to him
LOL
Old 07-13-2008, 09:42 PM   #48
Banned

they_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
i'm sorry but tom netz is a joke and by deducting the situation, you're right behind him.
they_drag_him is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-14-2008, 02:46 AM   #49
PROUD DANCER

Question Sorry for wondering I guess?

Hey everyone since I am a soon to be joke let me start with SORRY I had bugged you all about the information on this Tattoo I have seen. I have made my OWN choice on what I am going to mark on to my body and it does have meaning to me and that all that I belive shall matter. That orignal posting of the question was more for the purpose of knowing the deeper meaning behind the marking that so many people have on themselfs that I have seen. As for the Tom Netz situation, to me he is a very respected person and for the one who cut him down you should feel ashamed of cutting a man down on here who cant get up here to defend himself. BUT I am not in the right to correct you for I am not and elder so I will let that sit as is. But once again sorry to have cause so fuss and russ and confussion and controversity over the tattoo. Thanks for all of those who gave me helpful hints.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:34 AM   #50
Just a Cherokee

Da_Revolutionary has much to be proud ofDa_Revolutionary has much to be proud ofDa_Revolutionary has much to be proud ofDa_Revolutionary has much to be proud ofDa_Revolutionary has much to be proud ofDa_Revolutionary has much to be proud ofDa_Revolutionary has much to be proud of

I didn't even know that we had tattoos. But, then again I don't live on a Rez and I'm only 1/3 Native. I would love if someone could enlighten me, links to info would be great.

~Da_Revolutionary
Da_Revolutionary is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-14-2008, 07:37 AM   #51
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 38,634.63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Revolutionary View Post

I didn't even know that we had tattoos. But, then again I don't live on a Rez and I'm only 1/3 Native. I would love if someone could enlighten me, links to info would be great.
they go with the secret handshake
lol
Old 07-14-2008, 07:42 AM   #52
Just a Cherokee

Da_Revolutionary has much to be proud ofDa_Revolutionary has much to be proud ofDa_Revolutionary has much to be proud ofDa_Revolutionary has much to be proud ofDa_Revolutionary has much to be proud ofDa_Revolutionary has much to be proud ofDa_Revolutionary has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
they go with the secret handshake
lol
Lol
Well, that changes everything xD

~Da_Revolutionary
Da_Revolutionary is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-14-2008, 11:51 AM   #53
Banned

they_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Hey everyone since I am a soon to be joke let me start with SORRY I had bugged you all about the information on this Tattoo I have seen. I have made my OWN choice on what I am going to mark on to my body and it does have meaning to me and that all that I belive shall matter. That orignal posting of the question was more for the purpose of knowing the deeper meaning behind the marking that so many people have on themselfs that I have seen. As for the Tom Netz situation, to me he is a very respected person and for the one who cut him down you should feel ashamed of cutting a man down on here who cant get up here to defend himself. BUT I am not in the right to correct you for I am not and elder so I will let that sit as is. But once again sorry to have cause so fuss and russ and confussion and controversity over the tattoo. Thanks for all of those who gave me helpful hints.
I will cut down Tom soft turtle shell again, right in front of your face dude! He is a joke and so is anybody standing beside him. Go get your pole smoking tattoo.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:00 PM   #54
Beadworker

past threads on tom netz

PNW...

http://www.powwows.com/gathering/nat...ack-again.html

http://www.powwows.com/gathering/nat...tle-fraud.html

http://www.powwows.com/gathering/chi...ppearance.html

TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)
Old 07-14-2008, 03:46 PM   #55
Banned

here's my favorite quote:

SAC
Pow Wow Visitor

Did not see this thread the other day - must have been totally blind or something. Anyway This Idiot is still doing so called public appearances. We saw him the week of Thanksgiving - that Monday night actually. So here is my re-post that is on another page.

This man is a total Liar and Idiot. My brother heard that this guy was doing a presentation the week of Thanksgiving in Sandusky, Ohio. My bro had business not far from there and decided to check it out later than evening. He wanted to know if I would tag along and so I did.
What an idiot this Tom Netz is. Lies and lies and more lies was all we heard the entire evening. He kept saying he was Lumbee but then kept corrected that and kept saying stuff like sorry I mean to say Potowatamie. He said his wife was Creek and Dutch but I read here that somebody said he has claimed his wife was Seneca which my brother said he had heard Tom say.. By brother said Tom had told people in the past that she was Cherokee and then Seneca. So where is this Creek and Dutch coming from. He also got on some soapbox junk about hunting saying that he is special and don't need any licencse to hunt because he is Indian and that he can take as much game as he pleases. WTF? This guy is total joke. I post this and urge all to be warned of this dude. He is a total wannabe idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-14-2008, 03:51 PM   #56
Beadworker

personally,if tom netz or anyone of his type explained a tattoo (or anything else for that matter) i would do just the opposite!who knows where they get their information from,but its usually nothing more than a good laugh...PNW if you want a tat then get one but get something thats special to you and not because you saw it on someone else,or some wannabee says this or thats traditional...symbols,tats and fancy words dont make anyone traditional,its actions and the way you live you life and conduct yourself...

TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)
Old 07-14-2008, 04:43 PM   #57
hey *g*

Margy has a reputation beyond reputeMargy has a reputation beyond reputeMargy has a reputation beyond reputeMargy has a reputation beyond repute
Margy has a reputation beyond reputeMargy has a reputation beyond reputeMargy has a reputation beyond reputeMargy has a reputation beyond reputeMargy has a reputation beyond reputeMargy has a reputation beyond reputeMargy has a reputation beyond reputeMargy has a reputation beyond reputeMargy has a reputation beyond reputeMargy has a reputation beyond reputeMargy has a reputation beyond reputeMargy has a reputation beyond reputeMargy has a reputation beyond reputeMargy has a reputation beyond reputeMargy has a reputation beyond reputeMargy has a reputation beyond reputeMargy has a reputation beyond repute
Hm, I wouldn't like others to have the same tat2 for it has a very special meaning to me, I wouldn't want to have a "label" either. But that's just me. I still think the tat2 looks VERY much alike the drum I posted before. Maybe somebody remembered that pattern and thought it would look great on his arm....and just wasn't able to remember where he had seen it before ;-)
Old 07-15-2008, 02:11 PM   #58
PowWows.com Addicts

Items Present
FluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond repute
FluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond repute
Location: somewhere between chicago and DC, what day is it again?
Credits: 11,819.18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margy View Post
Hm, I wouldn't like others to have the same tat2 for it has a very special meaning to me, I wouldn't want to have a "label" either. But that's just me. I still think the tat2 looks VERY much alike the drum I posted before. Maybe somebody remembered that pattern and thought it would look great on his arm....and just wasn't able to remember where he had seen it before ;-)
it wasnt on a drum,but, i do think i remember seeing something kinda like that on a circus tent once when i was a kid

The older I get the less of a deterrent life without parole gets
FluteMaker is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-15-2008, 05:16 PM   #59
hey *g*

Margy has a reputation beyond reputeMargy has a reputation beyond reputeMargy has a reputation beyond reputeMargy has a reputation beyond repute
Margy has a reputation beyond reputeMargy has a reputation beyond reputeMargy has a reputation beyond reputeMargy has a reputation beyond reputeMargy has a reputation beyond reputeMargy has a reputation beyond reputeMargy has a reputation beyond reputeMargy has a reputation beyond reputeMargy has a reputation beyond reputeMargy has a reputation beyond reputeMargy has a reputation beyond reputeMargy has a reputation beyond reputeMargy has a reputation beyond reputeMargy has a reputation beyond reputeMargy has a reputation beyond reputeMargy has a reputation beyond reputeMargy has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluteMaker View Post
it wasnt on a drum,but, i do think i remember seeing something kinda like that on a circus tent once when i was a kid
Yes, you're right, I remember something like that, too! :-)
Old 07-15-2008, 05:57 PM   #60
~lethargic state of mind~

Items Elephant
Mud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond repute
Mud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond repute
Location: in the lil box beating the crap out of the other stick figure
Credits: 3,447.42
the tattoos you are referring to . . . i think they come from the east coast and parts of canada . . . i might be mistakened, not sure.

i dated a guy who has a few "traditional" tattoo's on both arms. he talked with his elders about getting a tattoo. they taugh him what each symbol meant, what i stood for, and what needed to be dome to get it. he didnt go into much detail, but he has five tattoo's now.

from im point of view . . . these tattoos have a meaning, they were bestowed on you and only you. if it offends someone, oh well . . . hey, they might be from another nation. not all tribes use or utilize tattoos. it could be a pendent, necklace, ring/earrings, something . . .

dont get a tattoo just to be a part of the crowd.
Mud_Woman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links