Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Northern Traditional Dancing Typical Bustle Problems and Questions Typical Bustle Problems and Questions

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2004, 07:08 PM   #1
The future is open

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Redhawk_foxtail is on a distinguished road
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Question Typical Bustle Problems and Questions

Okay,
I'm sure you've all heard it before... " I'm making my bustle, but I can't figure out how to..."
Well, sorry, I have the same post hehe.

So here it goes, I am making a "U" shaped bustle, and I am not sure what I should do with my trailor. This is kinda a poll more than anything I guess, heh.
What I am asking of you guys is...what is the best way to make and attach a trailor to a bustle? This is my first bustle, and I am making it from memory, basically because I can't find any instructions, and only a few people I know own bustles and don't really have time to help make another one at the moment.
Also, I am making a second row out of Kori Bustard primary feathers. They look kind of like a reversed out turkey feather. They are interesting, not the most traditional feathers ever used considering its an african bird. None the less, they look neat. I want to follow a North Eastern look to my regalia, I've been told a bustle is more of a midwest to western thing, but nowadays, I dont think many stay to that. Anyway, the main Bustle is royal palm turkey feathers, they look alot like salt and pepper balds, and the kori bustards are black and white and keep with the color scheme nicely. Anyway I'm rambling now, but any suggestions/help is appreciated. Also, once I'm done expect pictures! :)
~B
Redhawk_foxtail is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-13-2004, 01:18 AM   #2
Fat Singer

billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
I make a loop at the end of the feathers and tie them together. than melt a hole through each feather with a hot needle about 2 or 3 inches up the quill. put a string thru them with spacers between each feather to keep them the same distance apart.

on the back board i put 2 holes on the bottom edge and tie the feathers onto it.

they are east to take off and pack away.
billyjoejimbob is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2004, 05:38 PM   #3
The future is open

well, it's not done yet, I am making a center row and I am tying fluffs onto the ends of the dows beside the feathers

But heres some pics
Attached Thumbnails
bustle-001.jpg   bustle-002.jpg   bustle-003.jpg  
Old 04-19-2004, 05:45 PM   #4
Fat Singer

billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
Cool tape job.

How big is that bustle?
billyjoejimbob is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2004, 05:47 PM   #5
Day Dreamer all the Way

cree_raven_redsky is a jewel in the rough
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk_foxtail
Okay,
I'm sure you've all heard it before... " I'm making my bustle, but I can't figure out how to..."
Well, sorry, I have the same post hehe.

So here it goes, I am making a "U" shaped bustle, and I am not sure what I should do with my trailor. This is kinda a poll more than anything I guess, heh.
What I am asking of you guys is...what is the best way to make and attach a trailor to a bustle? This is my first bustle, and I am making it from memory, basically because I can't find any instructions, and only a few people I know own bustles and don't really have time to help make another one at the moment.
Also, I am making a second row out of Kori Bustard primary feathers. They look kind of like a reversed out turkey feather. They are interesting, not the most traditional feathers ever used considering its an african bird. None the less, they look neat. I want to follow a North Eastern look to my regalia, I've been told a bustle is more of a midwest to western thing, but nowadays, I dont think many stay to that. Anyway, the main Bustle is royal palm turkey feathers, they look alot like salt and pepper balds, and the kori bustards are black and white and keep with the color scheme nicely. Anyway I'm rambling now, but any suggestions/help is appreciated. Also, once I'm done expect pictures! :)
~B
I do what HE does ---------------> i would also drill to wholes evenly apart as to tie the trailer onto the back board but i make my trailers out of the good thick felt like material lol i can't remember the name of it but i also put smaller feathers on it as well as a design to make it stand out i usually keep it geometric or real native like lol I would glue and sew on a dowel just a little longer than the trailer and use the fake sinew to keep it attached to the backboard. Any more ?'s feel free to pm me :D thanxs and see you this summer lol :P

cree_raven_redsky is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2004, 05:48 PM   #6
The future is open

It's about 4' 4" across at its widest point.
Old 04-23-2004, 02:44 AM   #7
The future is open

Heres a question....whats the best way to fashion the dows that stick up with the fluffs or tip priamries, or what have you? You know the ones that stick straight up from the top of the bustle.
Thanks,
~B
Old 04-26-2004, 12:12 AM   #8
"Red Fox"

gigagei tsu la is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk_foxtail
Heres a question....whats the best way to fashion the dows that stick up with the fluffs or tip priamries, or what have you? You know the ones that stick straight up from the top of the bustle.
Thanks,
~B
The dowels that point up are called uprights and the best way to attach them is to drill into your base (if it is wood or something of the sort) and then glue the dowels in. Use about 1/8 dowels or smaller even, but no larger. A useful tip is to angle them away from your back, if you were to be wearing it, because if they stick straight up they can sometimes they interfer with, depending on your regalia, your headdress or headdress feathers. Ouch! Tip them with feathers or something decorative. Skulls or claws work. I prefer the breast feathers from Hawks because they look great. E-mail me if any other questions: [email protected]

Last edited by gigagei tsu la; 04-30-2004 at 08:24 AM..
gigagei tsu la is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2004, 02:30 AM   #9
The future is open

I'll have to give that a try. My base is wood so, it won't be hard to drill into it. Only problem is deciding what to tip it with. I was thinking fluffs myself, but the way some people use spikes and tie thier ends and bend them downward looks pretty interesting as well. ( I hope you know what I'm talking about, it's kinda hard to explain ) What a quandrie (SP?) I am in. I gatta finish this before May first....powwow coming up. :D

Also, thanks for that point about making sure they dont stick straight up, I probably wouldn't have thought of that and messed something up somehow lol.

Thanks,
~B
Old 04-26-2004, 05:19 PM   #10
Day Dreamer all the Way

cree_raven_redsky is a jewel in the rough
What i use to make the "uprights" is i drill usually three holes into the backboard first hole is near the bottom the second and third are closer together towards the top part of the backboard, as well i use the wire coat hangers i straighten them out and usually thread 'em and bend them as i go through each hole. I use hockey tape to tape the wire to make it even more thick'eeeerrrrrrr lol and that way i can use spikes for the "uprights" and put fluffs on them, sometimes rabbit fur thin pieces and glue them one as well as hand sew them to keep from falling off or apart as well anything you can make look good you should try it....Trial and error is the way to go..... Once i get a web cam or digital cam i will try and post some pictures of my work....

Last edited by cree_raven_redsky; 04-26-2004 at 05:21 PM..
cree_raven_redsky is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2004, 12:32 PM   #11
Junior Dancer

..AmuneOne.. is a jewel in the rough
trouble with my bustle i havint made yet

hey every 1 need help with with feathers i should use for my bustle can any 1 sudggest any kiind
..AmuneOne.. is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2004, 12:33 PM   #12
Junior Dancer

nice pics looks good

Last edited by ..AmuneOne..; 04-27-2004 at 12:38 PM..
Old 04-27-2004, 06:26 PM   #13
"Red Fox"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ..AmuneOne..
hey every 1 need help with with feathers i should use for my bustle can any 1 sudggest any kiind
Regalia, in my opinon, is strictly up to the creator. Use whatever you would like. However, in my opinon, depending upon your resources, you could use turkey tails. They look great or you could use hawk wing feathers; my friend has one of those. Or, you could be like me. I have a three tier, 60 feather, eagle tail feather bustle. Unfortunatly, everyone of em' is fake. They are dyed turkey feathers, but they look great. If you treat them right and take care of them and most importantly buy good hand-painted ones, only those who "know what they are doing" can tell the difference.

Last edited by gigagei tsu la; 04-27-2004 at 06:28 PM.. Reason: spelling error, my fault
Old 04-28-2004, 12:09 AM   #14
The future is open

Quote:
Originally Posted by ..AmuneOne..
well crud, I had a lengthy post, and my screen crapped out and I lost it. I'll cut it short.

I agree with Gigagei Tsu La personally.
But I will say use what you can legally, depends if you are Native with a enrollment dealy. If you must use real feathers and you are not native, just beware you can be fined for using them, no matter how strongly you feel about using them. I personally think, if you need to use them, use them, just be careful with them.
Also, use feathers that go well with your color scheme, my royal palm turkey feathers work well with my regalia, thats why I chose to use them. Also, if you were gifted some feathers for public use, use them there...depending on your bustle type....
Theres a good question, what type of bustle are you making? A circle bustle? A U shaped bustle? A oldstyle mess bustle? Something else?
~B
Old 04-28-2004, 08:24 AM   #15
"Red Fox"

I've seen Royal Palm Turkey's before, never on a bustle, but they look great. I've heard them be called "legal eagle" because they look very similar to eagle feathers. I would like to see your bustle Redhawk_foxtail. Do you have any pictures? I will post some pics of mine shortly, if i can. I just borrowed my friends digital cam. But, yeah, what kind of bustle are you making. What colors/theme is your regalia currently?
Old 04-28-2004, 10:07 AM   #16
Junior Dancer

i really need more advice i v wanted to dance for years i do dance but i wanna have a outfit and go further with dancing iam not sure on colours and i think ill use turkey feathers for now yesterday i got two really nice artifical eagle tallons they look like the real deal who even made them did a good job coulda fooled me anyway i lll use one for my danceing stick my staff but i real need some help more sudgestions plz hey do you guys have hotmail i mean messenger (msn) i am [email protected] i made a really nice staff b4 i used a owl tallon and it looked great with moose hide and rabbit fur with some kewl old school tradiing beads i geatting some bonebeads to make my breast plate and iam making my shied too but anyways get back to me
Old 04-28-2004, 10:16 AM   #17
Junior Dancer

i really need more advice i v wanted to dance for years i do dance but i wanna have a outfit and go further with dancing iam not sure on colours and i think ill use turkey feathers for now yesterday i got two really nice artifical eagle tallons they look like the real deal who even made them did a good job coulda fooled me anyway i lll use one for my danceing stick my staff but i real need some help more sudgestions plz hey do you guys have hotmail i mean messenger (msn) i am [email protected] i made a really nice staff b4 i used a owl tallon and it looked great with moose hide and rabbit fur with some kewl old school tradiing beads i geatting some bonebeads to make my breast plate and iam making my shied too but anyways get back to me
Old 04-28-2004, 07:53 PM   #18
The future is open

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigagei tsu la
I've seen Royal Palm Turkey's before, never on a bustle, but they look great. I've heard them be called "legal eagle" because they look very similar to eagle feathers. I would like to see your bustle Redhawk_foxtail. Do you have any pictures? I will post some pics of mine shortly, if i can. I just borrowed my friends digital cam. But, yeah, what kind of bustle are you making. What colors/theme is your regalia currently?
Gigagei Tsu La, there are a few pics of my bustle in this post, go up a few and you'll see them. If you want to see some better shots, let me know I'll email you some better quality ones. And yes, Royal Palms look just like immature bald eagle feathers, just a bit smaller in size, and more curved. The curve can be fixed with an iron though.
..AmuneOne.., The colors you use should be based on your tribal affiliation first off, if you don't have that. Then basically whatever looks good together, or, as my bustle has, the four point colors. Red,White, Black(Or navy blue), and Yellow. You should readup or ask an elder about color schemes relating to your nation. But, like I said, if you don't claim any, them whatever you feel looks best. I prefer reds and blues personally. They can be both dull and earthy, or vibrant and and shimmering. I wear a red, or blue ribbon shirt, a red roach, a dark bone breastplate with green side beads on it, golden elk and white sheep leggings with rabbit fur muffs, regular mocs, red and green whiteheart beaded deertoe anklets, my dance fan is a goose wing with feathers hanging off the handlebase from silver beads, my dance staff is a stick that was marked up with beaver teeth marks and has a crow foot end with a crow tail off of it, facing back towards my hand. It also has a beaded strap and some tape with the four colors wrapped around near the back. I know this is hard to imagine, from a text based explanation, so I'll look for some pics soon. I gatta find one for BillyJoeJimBob anyway heh.
~B
Old 04-29-2004, 07:54 AM   #19
"Red Fox"

AH, here we go. http://gigageitsula.topcities.com/ All my bustle pics are there. Tell me what you think.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:44 AM   #20
Junior Dancer

nice pics mike good stuff i like the way you put t all togther man i wish i had a readlly n ice breast plate likke your s and good sudgestions withthe colour sheam last night i was working on my staff dancing stick and i was having trouble attaching my eagle tallon to my stick man i think i rushed it and made it look sloppy i didint wanna drill hole s and stuff because i i dont think indians had drills back in the day but i think to do a good job and get it on there nice and tight ill do some drilling tonight if nobody has any alternatives well later
Sponsored Links