Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Northern Traditional Dancing Why do some dancers dance counter-clockwise? Why do some dancers dance counter-clockwise?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-27-2005, 08:16 AM   #41
Kili!

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Wojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbursthonor
This weekend at the Euharlee Veteran's Powwow. That Saturday a air-diver fell and broke his legs. So several of the elders(Smitty, Grandfather Redwolf, i THINK Fire, and some others) danced backwards because of this accident. I think you can dance bacwards as well when special conditions apply like this one.
Wow, what a bunch of crap!! Tell those idiots down in Georgia just to give it up and quit trying to be elders...THEY'RE NOT!!

As for Oglalas being the only ones ordained by God to dance counterclockwise...I think the young guy was playing with you. Matter of fact, either he was playing with you or he's an idiot. I'd love for him to tell some of our Hunkpapa friends like Steve Charging Eagle that its only for Oglalas.

Enough with all of these dang rules people!! There are several real reasons why this is done and most of those have been named on this thread.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:07 AM   #42
Pow Wow Visitor

pudgy_pony is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojibway_tribe
I heard that as warriors they are obliged to protect the circle of life including the pow wows circle So I personally think its an impersonation of a warrior patrolling the circle keeping an eye out for enemies or evil spirits. I dont know...what do I know Im just an Indian.
this is my understanding

HAU! KODAS!
pudgy_pony is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2005, 11:16 AM   #43
Banned

quicksilverwade is just really nice
Quote:
This weekend at the Euharlee Veteran's Powwow. That Saturday a air-diver fell and broke his legs. So several of the elders(Smitty, Grandfather Redwolf, i THINK Fire, and some others) danced backwards because of this accident. I think you can dance bacwards as well when special conditions apply like this one.
Maybe you're thinking too hard. Why don't you just follow this rule: mouth shut, eyes and ears open!
quicksilverwade is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2005, 05:37 PM   #44
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 10,816.57
Talking

Quote:
,. . .That Saturday a air-diver fell and broke his legs. So several of the elders(Smitty, Grandfather Redwolf, i THINK Fire, and some others) danced backwards . . .. I think you can dance bacwards . . .when special conditions apply like this one.

sunburst,

There may be some truth to this.....

Maybe they danced backward to keep the air-diver from landing on them?
Old 12-05-2005, 03:42 PM   #45
Junior Dancer

o_styo_jngl is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottlollar
As a NTrad dancer in the south, I've only seen this a couple of times. It is usually a Veteran representing his 'read-guard' action until such time as all soldiers come home. Other times I've heard of particular dancers (whip men?) dancing this way as a prayer, trying to get rid of any negativity in the arena. And another story I heard(please keep in mind, I have no proof of this) was that a group of folks who practice backwards ways(a type of medicine) will do this in their practices.
Now, it could very well be that these dancers are confused. Maybe they are old-style Northern dancers and feel the dance should go counter-clockwise as opposed to clockwise. Maybe they haven't been taught the right respect for the circle. Maybe they just don't know. But, I'm inclined to believe there is a higher purpose to what they do.
highlighted are a few examples as to why they dance the way they do is what i've been told.....and i'm offended that the dude that posted this topic said what he said without being tactful...its good to ask questions, but not to knock it....also, sometimes...when they're honoring those that have seen battle...they go counter-clockwise on the honor song....and so on....but yeah...my two cents from my rez in the middle of nowhere montana LoL
Old 12-13-2005, 10:06 PM   #46
Fry Bread Taste Tester

turtleclaninc has a reputation beyond reputeturtleclaninc has a reputation beyond reputeturtleclaninc has a reputation beyond reputeturtleclaninc has a reputation beyond reputeturtleclaninc has a reputation beyond reputeturtleclaninc has a reputation beyond reputeturtleclaninc has a reputation beyond reputeturtleclaninc has a reputation beyond reputeturtleclaninc has a reputation beyond reputeturtleclaninc has a reputation beyond reputeturtleclaninc has a reputation beyond reputeturtleclaninc has a reputation beyond reputeturtleclaninc has a reputation beyond reputeturtleclaninc has a reputation beyond reputeturtleclaninc has a reputation beyond reputeturtleclaninc has a reputation beyond repute
i feel pity for you..danceres dancing counter clockwise is done for several reasons telling a story....... rear guards.veterans.contraies following medicine dreams man i admit it is kinda shuned in the south (when in rome.. hehe) i still see very respected dancers doing this occasions in the DEEP south and so the list of reasons goes on. I dance for my family i dance because i love my people and this earth ...and the drum.. i dance for all my 6 grandchildren dancing just some old farts advice here...try asking the person at an aproperate time why you seen something you didnt understand...dont bring anger in to the circle the circle is round EH no left right no up down kinda get my meaning? Question? WHY DO YOU DANCE?....with all my prayers onen ki wahi

Last edited by turtleclaninc; 12-13-2005 at 10:11 PM..
turtleclaninc is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-10-2006, 06:02 PM   #47
Pow Wow Visitor

xalish3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Why we dance counter clockwise

I dont know where all of you are from. A dancer in your area may be dancing counter clockwise for a reason other than why we do it in the pacific Northwest. If you came here and were dancing clockwise people would be looking at you funny.
We dance counter clockwise because that is the way the earth spins on its axis. Everything that we do in ceremony is done counter clockwise. This is so that you are moving with the earth instead of "against the grain". These ceremonies and teachings come from our Indian religon which was given to us by hanyawaat. We were taught to respect peoples homes, when you go to their home you do things the way they do. When they come to yours they should have that same respect. I am from Oregon and this is the way we do things here.
xalish3 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-10-2006, 07:08 PM   #48
is waiting ....

chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 374.00
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by xalish3
I dont know where all of you are from. A dancer in your area may be dancing counter clockwise for a reason other than why we do it in the pacific Northwest. If you came here and were dancing clockwise people would be looking at you funny.
We dance counter clockwise because that is the way the earth spins on its axis. Everything that we do in ceremony is done counter clockwise. This is so that you are moving with the earth instead of "against the grain". These ceremonies and teachings come from our Indian religon which was given to us by hanyawaat. We were taught to respect peoples homes, when you go to their home you do things the way they do. When they come to yours they should have that same respect. I am from Oregon and this is the way we do things here.
finally an explanation ...
Old 01-12-2006, 12:34 PM   #49
THE Lakota Wiyan

Lakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singerdad
Is this statement part of your "understanding other tribe's ways" philosophy?

Instead of judging - call it what you will but that's what you're doing - why don't you go ask those dancers why they dance the way they do. You'll learn something and might even make an acquaintance in the process.
THANK YOU! I appreciate you pointing that comment out, and commenting on it. I was going to say the same thing. I was slightly offended at the tone of that post, especially the "get outta the way" part.

Here inSouth Dakota, our men dance around the women, watching out for them and the young and old people. This is what I have been told by my uncles who dance, and I just grew up having the men dance on the outside, opposite the women. It has nothing to do with the men not being taught "the right way". That is a very European way of looking at the different cultures. When we visit down south, or the more intertribal powwows, we might or might not follow along with the crowd. But, if a dancer wants to stay true to their own ways, there is nobody out there disrespecting them by pointing out how "WRONG" they are.

I agree that you should find out information first before you come around and look like a European-minded judge. And please, back up your words.

Pilamaye
Lakota Wiyan is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-24-2006, 04:12 PM   #50
Gimpy Old Dancer

Hazben has a brilliant futureHazben has a brilliant futureHazben has a brilliant futureHazben has a brilliant futureHazben has a brilliant futureHazben has a brilliant futureHazben has a brilliant futureHazben has a brilliant futureHazben has a brilliant futureHazben has a brilliant future
Credits: 100.00
Savings: 461.90
When we dance at our own celebrations, we have a sacred fire in the middle of the circle (which is really a square, go figure). We dance around the fire counterclockwise because that puts our hearts closer to the fire (left side toward the center). Some of us carry that over to when we dance at powwows, but not if it becomes a problem for someone else.
It amazes me sometimes how people from over 500 nations manage to get along together as well as we do at intertribal gatherings. I believe that the key to that is respect. As long as everyone has that attitude, problems are few.
If I see someone dancing in a way I don't understand, I assume that he or she has a reason for doing it. If I really want to try to understand that reason, I take them some tobacco and ask in a respectful way.
Hazben is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2006, 10:01 PM   #51
Tiny Tot Dancer

Slammer is infamous around these parts
oh okay

I'll go dance then as if a globe I will spin as I am going around, but yet I will be going clockwise. Doesn't the Earth only spin on it's axis counter-clockwise, but in reality it has a clockwise orbit around the sun? I think this should be taken into consideration to "how it's done". Why is it that Lakota's always think they know everything, and demand their way is the right way?
Slammer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2006, 10:13 PM   #52
Pow Wow Visitor

gator is an unknown quantity at this point
Could the anwser be in the water?

Im really new to posting here (second post just joined today) but I have an idea why people dance counter clockwise in the circle. I do a lot of fishing. I have also noticed that in some parts of the country that the shallow parts of the streams I have fished in have whrilpools. Some of the whrilpools spin clockwise and others counterclockwise. The counterclockwise pools seem to be in the north west area of the country.

Our Creator gave us life and to sustane that life we need water. Could it be that our ancestors looked to the water and got the idea of the direction to dance in from the whrilpools in the water? A whrilpool is a circle and we dance in a circle. Could the Creator be showing us the direction to dance in?

This may have nothing to do with the correct anwser but its an idea.

Last edited by gator; 03-16-2006 at 10:20 PM..
gator is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2006, 09:00 AM   #53
Kili!

Wojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairSkinnedWarrior
Why is it that Lakota's always think they know everything, and demand their way is the right way?
We never say we know everything...but we do demand that our way is the right way....FOR US! We just demand to be given the respect to do our ways our way. When other tribes come up to SD to pow wow, they are allowed to do their way without interference. I've seen some Oklahoma straight dancers come up and they were treated with the utmost respect and allowed to dance their way and even honored with a song. Its all about respecting each other's ways and allowing people to be who they truly are.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:02 PM   #54
THE Lakota Wiyan

Lakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairSkinnedWarrior
Why is it that Lakota's always think they know everything, and demand their way is the right way?
I had a good chuckle over that one! I could be offended but I wont be. It takes a secure person to stay true to what they know and do, and I guess that might come across as arrogance, so please, forgive us our arrogance.

One thing I have noticed in 25 years of dancing is that the dancers and singers who travel throughout the country to different powwows are more tolerant to changes in the ways that people dance, or pray, or run their powwows. Why do we all need to be melted into one? Shouldn't our differences be celebrated instead of criticized?

I know the ways I was taught, and so I stick with that. However, if I go to other powwows, I accomodate other practices, but not if they contradict my own. And I have found other tribes are happy to accomodate me when they see how respectful I am towards them. HOWEVER, at the big intertribal powwows, there is no one dominate tribe "hosting", so its a good time had by all with no "RULES" to follow.

But watch out Fairskinnedwarrior, not all of us Lakota are as tolerant of Lakota-bashing as Singerdad and I....LOL
Lakota Wiyan is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-13-2006, 06:30 PM   #55
Pow Wow Visitor

hokawicasa is an unknown quantity at this point
I can't believe know one knows the answer to this.
Its done out of respect the pipe teaches us not to take life, back in the day men had to to protect there family's in this way they could not follow the teaching of the pipe the clockwise motion of it so to speak. so they dance counter clockwise, to show there willingness to protect there families,but if you watch during honor songs they dance the same as the others
hokawicasa is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-13-2006, 07:04 PM   #56
PowWows.com Addicts

Items Panda
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,339.79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammer
I'll go dance then as if a globe I will spin as I am going around, but yet I will be going clockwise. Doesn't the Earth only spin on it's axis counter-clockwise, but in reality it has a clockwise orbit around the sun? I think this should be taken into consideration to "how it's done". Why is it that Lakota's always think they know everything, and demand their way is the right way?
No wonder you have so many red squares, you don't read or listen when people are telling you something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xalish3
Xalish3 never said he/she was Lakota.
Kakeeya is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-13-2006, 09:06 PM   #57
finding my way back

Wapos is an unknown quantity at this point
just talked to a tribal elder this past weekend and was told that we do not dance counterclockwise because it was trying to turn back time...that we must dance clockwise. Just a tribal belief
Wapos is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-14-2006, 09:20 AM   #58
ON THE PROWL...

KoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond reputeKoolNDN has a reputation beyond repute
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator
Our Creator gave us life and to sustane that life we need water. Could it be that our ancestors looked to the water and got the idea of the direction to dance in from the whrilpools in the water? A whrilpool is a circle and we dance in a circle. Could the Creator be showing us the direction to dance in?

This may have nothing to do with the correct anwser but its an idea.
YES - When I am at the host hotel, I always go to the bathroom and flush the toilet to see the direction it spins then leave for the powwow knowing which direction I will be dancing. AHO!
KoolNDN is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-14-2006, 05:26 PM   #59
YOU KNOW YOU LOVE THIS...

Items Treasure ChestElephantElephantTreasure Chest
Migiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond repute
Migiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,828.87
that was some funny chit....to unwind lmao.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe
FSwarrior,

Maybe they had a hard week at work and came to the powwow to ...... "unwind?"

*L

j/k
Old 04-14-2006, 05:32 PM   #60
YOU KNOW YOU LOVE THIS...

Items Treasure ChestElephantElephantTreasure Chest
Migiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond repute
Migiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,828.87
lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by contemptradish
All of you consider yourself good and knowledgable dancers?! This is ridiculous!

The real reason people dance that way to make eyes at the girls! Can't pick up a lady if she's just lookin' at your bustle!

hahaha, j/k.